What or who got you into wrestling?

CL Punk

I used to see the old WWF Colosseum video's in a corner shop style place that did rentals before a Blockbusters opened across the street from it. Then every time I went to Tesco with my Mum for the big shop on a Saturday I would go straight to the toy aisle to look at the WWF Hasbro and WCW Galoob figures for the entire time my Mum was shopping.

I was absolutely in awe of the videos and the figures but was never allowed to rent or buy one. I was soundly told that wrestling was a load of nonsense and would make me violent.

In around 1992 a double whammy opened the floodgates.

My friends Mum bought me The Ultimate Warrior Hasbro figure (which I spent the next hour or so showing her "Macho King" Randy Savage on the back of the card and how much I'd have preferrer him) for my birthday. This meant I now needed to be taken to Woolworths to buy more who could wrestle with him. The next two I got were Greg Valentine & The Undertaker.

Around the same time my Nanny bought me a WWF annual which I must have read front to back a hundred thousand times. From memory WCW had also started on Saturday afternoon's ITV. I watched it with her and she told me how she used to love going to watch it.

My grandad used to tell me stories of Kendo Nagasaki, Mick McManus, Catweazel, Jackie Pallo and further back a guy called Bert Assirati. I used to sit and listen to him with the same level of attention I watched WCW.

Great memories.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

My best mate had Sky and collected the WWF cards, that was what got me into it. The stuff that really captivated me and hooked me in that first year or so of being a fan was the Macho Man/Jake the Snake feud, Undertaker dragging the coffin after it was shut on his hand, Papa Shango cursing the Warrior, Virgil winning the Million Dollar belt, Repo Man robbing it off him, Shawn throwing Marty through the window and ripping the magazine, Ric Flair shagging Elizabeth before Macho did, Nailz annihilating Bossman, and a torn Bret Hart fighting his best mates over the IC belt.

It’s unfortunate that I do always think ITCHY BEARD CHINNY RECKONNNNN now whenever anyone says stuff like Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect got them into wrestling though, because one of BritWres loon/idiot Oliver Newman’s fabrications is that he got into wrestling because of how impressed he was by the pure technical expertise in that match. He was four. He got into wrestling because his big brother watched it. He loved Hulk Hogan and Warrior at the time. But when they got flat-rate dial-up Internet access in 1999, Oli got on the forums. By mid-2000, he’d retconned his childhood to have had the same opinions as Meltzer on everything.

• Paid Members

We never had Sky or whatever, but my childminder had cable. As soon as I started school  at 4 or 5 or whatever it is, I went there afterwards and was hooked. I have a dim memory of the first wrestling I saw, but I've never been able to work out what it was, or even if it was WWF. It was two guys, one was blonde and I remember one of them had a shiny cape on. it would have been 1990 probably, I don't know what promotions were around on UK TV then, but it really felt different to the WWF stuff I watched later. The first event I remember well was the 1991 Royal Rumble, and being amazed by the Warrior getting hit by the sceptre which my mate's brother assured us must be rubber. 

• Paid Members

WCW on ITV sometime in 1992 was my gateway drug into being pretty obsessed with wrestling for the next 15 years or so. The Steiner Brothers were probably my first favourite wrestlers. The colourful singlets, all the cool suplexes and double team moves, Scott’s Frankensteiner, Rick’s headgear/odd boots look. I loved them. Was quite fond of Surfer Sting and Ron Simmons as well. And terrified of Vader.

I was solely on WCW for a bit until I got SummerSlam 89 on VHS and was amazed by all the colours and over the top characters. Very first match had two blokes in bright pink, one with a pointy beard, for fuck’s sake. I quickly became mesmerised by Ultimate Warrior and that was that. The video collection started growing along with the Hasbros, magazines, sticker books, annuals etc. 

Another one for WCW on ITV in 1992, first match I ever saw was a Hollywood Blondes squash and I think a Sting one too. The match that properly reeled me in was Shawn Michaels Vs Diesel in 1996 on an In Your House tape I borrowed off a mate. No holds barred brilliance.

Edited by Cutting Edge of Bluntness

• Paid Members

A family friend. I was staying and my aunt’s and she and my mum went out somewhere. He put WCW Worldwide on 5 on, and was just bemused seeing guys in a boxing ring, but running around, picking each other up and throwing them around, etc. First match I remember was a Sting match. The rest is history. 

3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It’s unfortunate that I do always think ITCHY BEARD CHINNY RECKONNNNN now whenever anyone says stuff like Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect got them into wrestling though, because one of BritWres loon/idiot Oliver Newman’s fabrications is that he got into wrestling because of how impressed he was by the pure technical expertise in that match. He was four. He got into wrestling because his big brother watched it. He loved Hulk Hogan and Warrior at the time. But when they got flat-rate dial-up Internet access in 1999, Oli got on the forums. By mid-2000, he’d retconned his childhood to have had the same opinions as Meltzer on everything.

I don't think I've retconned my childhood but now you've got me wondering...

My Grandad always watched World of Sport, if we visited when that was on, we were banned from speaking to him for the duration. WoS held no interest for me, a ton of pasty fat blokes in a village hall did not appeal more than football or my elder sister's pals. 

Then WoS got ditched and my Grandad got Sky, officially because my Gran was seriously ill and bedridden, unofficially because he saw wrestling on the TV guide. He started watching WWF, and I visited one day when he had Survivor Series 1990 on, I think he'd videoed it. 

I clapped eyes on the Undertaker. I was sold. 

After a conversation about who had seen boobs, my cousin told me he had taped a show where one of the women had got their tits out, and I was 12 so I headed over to his to watch. When we got there we went through a few tapes before not finding it, so he showed me the Summerslam TLC match and form that moment I thought Jeff Hardy was the coolest person in the world ever

My parents were fans from the late 70s / early 80s to about 1990.

They had a load of stuff on tape, including the first six Wrestlemanias.

I was bored one day and looking for something to watch, so put Wrestlemania 1 into the shiny silver Betamax (old school!) and was hooked.

I reckon my entry route is similar to a lot of fans in the UK: Smackdown on Sky One on Saturday mornings.

During the attitude era I heard a lot about WWF at school, but I never actually saw it myself (consistently at least) because I didn’t have Sky. I remember briefly catching matches between The Rock and Benoit (when Benoit ‘wins’ the WWF title) and The Hardys, Edge & Christian and The Dudleys in a cage match. Must have been Summerslam 2000, although I’m not completely sure.

I also caught (much later) the Billy and Chuck wedding angle, and I both confused as to what was happening, and desperate to find out more. 

When my family got Sky I checked to see when wrestling aired and made a point of watching it. And that was that.

• Paid Members

I've been into wrestling non-stop since I was two or three years old, and have reasonably vivid memories of the early years of fandom.

I got into it around the time of or just after the 1992 UK boom period.  Can't say for certain what one thing got me into it first, but it was a combination of.

• WCW on ITV Meridian
  • A couple of tapes my mum bought me:  Hulk Hogan's Greatest Matches, and Summerslam 1992
  • My brother getting LOD hasbro's while I got the Randy Savage one with the white jacket.