London Bridge Stabbing & Shooting

David

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This guy murdered people. He’d have gotten life

The powers that be already had a good idea he was heading down that road from the last time. Wasn't he part of a plot to bomb the Stock Exchange? I doubt he was ever going to be released and go on to live a normal life.

As it is, at least he's not going to be taking up space in a prison cell. Good enough for him.

9 hours ago, David said:

Wasn't he part of a plot to bomb the Stock Exchange?

If only an explainer had been recently posted about this.

12 hours ago, JNLister said:

Proper detailed legal piece on why the attacker was in prison in the first place and why he was released when he was: https://thesecretbarrister.com/2019/11/30/10-thing-you-should-know-about-the-london-bridge-attacker-and-early-release/

Just to clear this up, we do NOT have a "shoot to kill" policy in this country, and in that old interview Corbyn was saying he wouldn't support changing that.

Where possible, UK officers look to arrest and not kill.  However, in certain circumstances they are given orders to do so - and one is a bomb vest.  That's why they shot the guy this weekend, they were trained to do so, and right to do so as they did not wish to give him the chance to trigger the vest.

Personal opinion: The City of London officer who fired the shots had a split-second to make an assessment. Sees a vest, guy moves, bang. Neutralise the threat. Notwithstanding it being hoax or not, I believe the rules of engagement for police, especially anti-terrorist, is that it is better to shoot dead than to risk more casualties. A bomb going off on the bridge would have meant more lives lost, more damage done, let alone maybe causing structural damage to the bridge itself. 

They would have loved to keep him alive. It will be lauded by extremists as martyrdom-by-cop and it's entirely probable that he wore the vest to ensure he would be taken out and having "died for the cause".

One other thing comes out of this. There are still ordinary people willing to run towards and fight danger. I hope all involved, police and public, get the recognition they deserve at preventing larger loss of life.

• Paid Members

I have a blanket policy of blocking/muting/deleting people from my social media circles if they unironically use the phrase "false flag", but I love the idea of someone scripting a staged terrorist attack to include "and then they get chased by a man with a narwhal tusk". 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Three pages in and no mention of the narwhal tusk?

I think because it's difficult to discuss something so ridiculous as part of a topic where people died.

A terrorist attack foiled by someone grabbing the nearest narwhal tusk and impaling them with it is straight out of Monty Python.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

A terrorist attack foiled by someone grabbing the nearest narwhal tusk and impaling them with it is straight out of Monty Python.

yeah, I hate people saying that something is "beyond satire", because it tends to massively misunderstand how satire actually functions, but if Chris Morris had written, "man foils terrorist attack using purloined narwhal tusk" as a Day Today headline, you'd think he was over-reaching a bit.