Things in wrestling that you learned late

RedRooster

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This may be way off but I thought the difference was a Three Way Dance was elimination rules and a Triple Threat was one fall to a finish?

ECW tended to do Three Way Dance matches as elimination, but I don't think there's anything set in stone about it.

I also don't think "Triple Threat matches are no DQ" was really a thing when they were first invented, just that someone pointed out that they weren't sure how a DQ finish would work in one, so WWE opted to make them no DQ. They certainly never use to hammer the point home, anyway.

• Paid Members

The whole thing about titles not changing hands on DQ or Count-Out being down to genuine double-crosses back in the day is interesting. Basically, a double-cross involving either of those was easier than actually pinning someone who shouldn't have been pinned. But you could fake a DQ/Count-out. Admittedly, this is a Cornette story I've not looked further into, but it sounded about right.

11 hours ago, PJ Power said:

IIRC a triangle match is still one-on-one in the ring, the third competitor is at a corner on a ring apron that can only become a legal competitor once they're tagged in by either other wrestler - whoever tags them in then becomes the non-legal competitor until they're tagged back in. WCW used to do them up until the mid-90's as far as I know. "Three Way Dance" was coined in ECW from what I remember.

I didn't know about these until I saw one at a premier show between Joel Redman and 2 others which I can't recall. Really good match and the different concept worked fantastically in my opinion.

I didn't know how the count for a rope break was up to 5 until much later into watching, always assumed it was 3 or possibly 10.

Another one slighty off the topic was that Ric Flair had brought the big gold belt with him in 91. Although i'd gone back and tape traded my way through plenty of the 90's by 2004 it wasn't until I saw the photo in his biography of him in a WWF ring with the belt that I knew anything about it. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The whole thing about titles not changing hands on DQ or Count-Out being down to genuine double-crosses back in the day is interesting. Basically, a double-cross involving either of those was easier than actually pinning someone who shouldn't have been pinned. But you could fake a DQ/Count-out. Admittedly, this is a Cornette story I've not looked further into, but it sounded about right.

Yeah - there's a story from the early 20th century of a wrestler, while in a hold, biting his own forearm, then showing it to the referee to demonstrate that he'd been bitten, blaming the champion to earn the win. It might be apocryphal, but it was written about as fact in the mid-'30s. 

22 hours ago, mim731 said:

Apparently it's the name of the water company in Birmingham. Never in a million years would I have got that from his name. 

He still gets the odd tweet from people complaining about their water supply