Things in wrestling that you learned late

RedRooster

What wrestling rules, facts or details did you twig on to long after becoming a fan?

For example, I became a fan in late 2002 and didn’t know that tag ropes were a thing until around 2010 or 2011 (...possibly even later than that, I may be being generous to myself)

Any other late learners out there?!

• Awards Moderator
24 minutes ago, Statto said:

WWE did away with tag ropes for most of the 2000s, IIRC? Might explain why you fellas didn't twig how vital they are!

It was earlier than that, I think during Attitude. I remember the WWF Magazine around 2000/2001 doing a big "bring back tag ropes!" thing, and when they did a revamp of the aprons and sets around the time of the first brand extension (possibly a bit later when Smackers got their own tag titles) they popped them back on.

• Paid Members

Yeah, tag ropes here too - watched as a kid in the early-to-mid '90s, probably never would have noticed then, came back in 2000 and they were gone.

think they were brought in post-brand split, and just Smackdown initially? 

50 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

I also had no idea triple threat matches were no-disqualification until a lot later than I should have.

I actually didn’t know that until pretty late on either.

Being a fan who started watching after the attitude era I’m constantly learning new facts. For example, I only learned about Bam Bam Bigelow’s Hogan-era WWE run around two years ago (ish), when I randomly decided to watch the first Survivor Series.

I also didn’t know that Commissioner Slaughter was a thing until I started watching old Raw episodes last year.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Plus one for the tag ropes thing (my wrestling fandom started watching the WWF in 2000).

I also had no idea triple threat matches were no-disqualification until a lot later than I should have.

What there No DQ. It makes sense but I've never put that together. So umm yeah this.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Mr Blake said:

Did Triple Threats get called Triangle matches at one point? 

IIRC a triangle match is still one-on-one in the ring, the third competitor is at a corner on a ring apron that can only become a legal competitor once they're tagged in by either other wrestler - whoever tags them in then becomes the non-legal competitor until they're tagged back in. WCW used to do them up until the mid-90's as far as I know. "Three Way Dance" was coined in ECW from what I remember.