Survivor Series 2019

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Has there been anything recently to even hint at that, or is it just wishful thinking? I thought Ronda was done now.

Completely agree on the red lighting, who on earth is watching that thinking it's a good idea, unfortunately it makes the Fiends matches unwatchable.

There was a trailer for Total Divas I saw somewhere this weekend, maybe on YouTube, and Ronda said something along the lines of "No one ever really leaves WWE".

• Paid Members

It’s mostly wishful thinking but it did feel like they were mentioning Ronda’s name more than they have done in a while and the natural Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen match feels closer than ever now Shayna is interacting with them. Plus, they’ve got so much fucking money now that Ronda could probably name her price.

• Paid Members

They talked up Shayna's connection to Ronda a fair bit at the start of the match, so with her and Becky interacting I thought that might be where they were going.

Given that, for the most part, Saudi shows have eclipsed Wrestlemania as far as "dream matches" go, and they've burned through Tyson Fury and Cain Velasquez on one show already, it may be that Ronda Rousey is the one ace up their sleeve that can work a big marquee match for Wrestlemania and not Crown Jewel

They really do need Rousey back, they miss her star power.  Ronda v Becky as a singles match, and the Horsewomen match are two main events for two big shows.  Isn't she trying to have a kid though?

• Paid Members

I'm still adamant that the match is Ronda vs. Shayna, anyway. I'd have had Shayna be the one to take Ronda out on RAW after Wrestlemania to write her out in the first place.

I don't think anyone gives a shit about the other two Horsewomen, and they're only signed to keep up the pretense of a feud against the WWE "Horsewomen" who, themselves, are becoming less relevant both individually and as a group than they were this time last year.

Have Ronda come back for a promo, or for an "announcement", any kind of non-wrestling thing, and have Shayna jump her from behind and choke her out. "I never needed you to get ahead, I was the one here doing the work and dominating while you were off trying to start a family, and dicking around on Total Divas", whatever, that's your feud.

• Awards Moderator

Adam Cole should do a bump off a cage the night before every big match. Selling that big War Games stunt slowed his pace right down and it ended up one of the best matches I’ve seen him have as a result.

Real disappointment from a lot of the decisions in the men’s Survivors match. WALTER looked great and everyone was getting really into it... but it turned out they just had him look great because he was only going to last two minutes. One claymore and he’s done. Makes him look shit, makes everyone who’s struggled to beat him with multiple finishers look shit. However. If this ends up as the catalyst to set up WALTER vs McIntyre at the next U.K. Takeover... YES. PLEASE.

One good thing about that match, though, was that Keith Lee finally looked like a proper star. Roman did great stuff with him in the closing stretch.

Who approved that Mysterio costume? I know they were doing a Joker thing but he looked like he was dressing up as Doink. That little red nose was awful! Best thing about the match was the multi-generation 619, I cheered a bit. Rey was really hobbling about before the match, I know he's had a good year but he can't have long left on those knees.

I thought the main event was catastrophically bad. @BomberPat made a point in the NXT thread about the triple threat on Takeover having its timing just a bit off which made everything look contrived and set-up. This was on a whole other level. The timing was hours out on every fucking thing. Bayley was having the world’s offest night and felt like a spare part to boot, but even if it had been Lynch and Baszler one on one I don’t think it’d have been much good, they were both way off as well, even the simplest things seemed to be going wrong. It was a proper mess. They are all better than that. They’ve all had great matches. But this was not that.

Probably didn’t help that even with the brand supremacy angle there were no stakes. Shayna wins, well, NXT was winning anyway. Becky wins, Raw still loses, why bother. Bayley wins... to get a draw? Seems like they could have had one of the early matches go another way to make this result mean more.

Cole vs Dunne probably my match of the weekend.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
On 11/26/2019 at 8:45 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Probably didn’t help that even with the brand supremacy angle there were no stakes. Shayna wins, well, NXT was winning anyway. Becky wins, Raw still loses, why bother. Bayley wins... to get a draw? Seems like they could have had one of the early matches go another way to make this result mean more.

It’s always surprised me that they make the actual Survivors matches count as 1 in this. Surely you should at least get a point for each survivor (ok, it often comes down to a sole survivor hunt you don’t have to book it that way...), if not gain a point for each elimination (which now it’s a 3-way thing is a different proposition altogether).

That way you could go into a main event Survivors match with any team conceivably capable of winning depending on how they do in that match, which opens up a whole other realm of storytelling (e.g, Raw can still win the whole thing but they need 4 out of 5 to survive to do so, or need to get 7 eliminations whilst NXT get no more than 3 etc.)

I don’t know why they don’t tie Survivor Series performance to each brand’s number of slots in the Rumble either (that obviously being subsequently linked to main eventing Wrestlemania) to provide some motivation beyond “ I just really love Smackdown, man”.

That all said, my prevailing thought when I finally got round to watching this the last 2 nights was “I wonder if they made enough R/SD/X armbands for everyone to have one each, or if people were forced to switch increasingly sweaty strips of cloth in Gorilla just before heading out?”

9 minutes ago, Statto said:

It’s always surprised me that they make the actual Survivors matches count as 1 in this. Surely you should at least get a point for each survivor (ok, it often comes down to a sole survivor hunt you don’t have to book it that way...), if not gain a point for each elimination (which now it’s a 3-way thing is a different proposition altogether).

That way you could go into a main event Survivors match with any team conceivably capable of winning depending on how they do in that match, which opens up a whole other realm of storytelling (e.g, Raw can still win the whole thing but they need 4 out of 5 to survive to do so, or need to get 7 eliminations whilst NXT get no more than 3 etc.)

I don’t know why they don’t tie Survivor Series performance to each brand’s number of slots in the Rumble either (that obviously being subsequently linked to main eventing Wrestlemania) to provide some motivation beyond “ I just really love Smackdown, man”.

These ideas are very befitting of your username!

On 12/1/2019 at 5:11 AM, Pinc said:

Love the idea of Survivor Series performance determining each brand’s number of Rumble entrants. Totally solves the motivation problem.

Yeah that could of been fun. NXT get 15 spots, Smackdown get 10, Raw get 5 spots.

Then the next night Rollins comes out calls everyone a piece of shit and determines "he's" getting one of the spots just cos.

Having Raw scrap over those five spots would of been fun.

• Paid Members

I wasn't picturing splits quite as large as that, but that's the general idea, yeah!

I was picturing more along the lines of each brand getting 7 'guaranteed' spots with the Survivor Series winner getting 4 bonus ones, runner-up getting 2 and the last place getting just 1 - leaving 2 'wildcard' spots for your legends/unexpected AJ Styles debuts etc.

I pondered this throughout my lunchtime walk today and realised that:

a) there's actually 60 Rumble spots to play with these days so you wouldn't have to do even splits in each Rumble which wouldn't tie the hands so much with booking decisions, and could come in handy - IIRC the women's rumble last year was quite NXT-heavy cos they didn't use anywhere near as many returning 'legends' as the first one?

b) you could use terms like "guaranteed entries" to give yourself the oft-seen WWE get-out - Raw could end up with 9 "guaranteed entries" in one Rumble but as long as you didn't give out 30 of those, you could put more than 9 Raw wrestlers in without technically failing to stick to your word. You could always go the "attacked backstage/on the way to the ring" route, of course...

c) you wouldn't necessarily need to set the numbers up for grabs at Survivor Series in stone in advance - once that event was finished you could announce that "WWE management" had reviewed the performance and chosen to allocate x "guaranteed entries" to Smackdown, y to Raw & z to NXT.

Hell, I'd go the whole hog and have a fictional "Royal Rumble Selection Committee" (chaired by Royal Rumble inventor Pat Patterson) who decided how many slots each brand ended up with, and indeed who got those slots - either by setting up qualifying matches (4-way ladder match at TLC for a spot, anyone?) or awarding slots on past performance. Of course, that committee would have it in their remit to spring a few surprises on the night...

If only there were a market for wrestling with "real sports" presentation...

The SummerSlam main events could determine who gets to Captain the Survivor Series team as well.

The participants in the SummerSlam main events are decided by tournaments which start on Raw the night after WrestleMania.

The Andre the Giant memorial battle royal could determine who gets a bye to the second or third round of the tournament.