General Erection 2019

Gus Mears

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never rated her as my MP, but having read that article, I’d vote for her in a GE if she stopped being such a prude about hooers. At the moment I’d be too suspicious that she’d resurrect plans for the wanking tax. Boris’ secret weapon this time round was cancelling that.

9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I’m still absolutely baffled that the Tories managed to gain such a large majority. What possesses people to vote against their own interests in such numbers?

I'm not sure why anyone is baffled to be honest. This was an election based entirely on Brexit. The reason it was called was because of the stalemate on Brexit, right? There was one party from the two main parties which had a clear message on the pressing issue.

Labour didn't have a fucking clue what they wanted to do about Brexit, while the Conservative's did. It's as simple as that. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is some demolition job on Jess Phillips.

http://gal-dem.com/heres-why-weve-got-no-time-for-jess-phillips/

Seeing her emptied in this leadership contest will be the sweetest consolation from this whole shitshow. The episode with Diane Abbott tells us everything we need to know about Phillips - a mouthy, immoral, pain in the arse, media darling.

2 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Seeing her emptied in this leadership contest will be the sweetest consolation from this whole shitshow. The episode with Diane Abbott tells us everything we need to know about Phillips - a mouthy, immoral, pain in the arse, media darling.

Sounds like someone who could win an election to be honest.

12 hours ago, Rapey Eyes said:

I don’t follow politics a lot, but a big problem I had is that Jezza never denied by a terrorist sympathiser, never denied being pally with the IRA. He let the press totally destroy his character and never a bad word back. I’m not saying he should have a slanging match but at least stand up for yourself.

Playground argument catch 22. Do you respond to a character attack which is a clear diversion from the actual debate, or not dignify it with a response and try to draw the conversation back to the real issues? The Tories controlled every argument however they could, and succeeded.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

Labour didn't have a fucking clue what they wanted to do about Brexit, while the Conservative's did. It's as simple as that. 

Really? I think they knew exactly what the score was. If they backed leave then they isolated voters in the seats they managed to hold on to. If they backed remain then, as the election clearly showed, leave voting seats would defect to the Tories. They were fucked either way. In my opinion they did the only thing that gave them a slim chance of success - sat on the fence and tried to isolate as few people as possible. Turned out that slim chance really was very slim indeed.

9 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Really? I think they knew exactly what the score was. If they backed leave then they isolated voters in the seats they managed to hold on to. If they backed remain then, as the election clearly showed, leave voting seats would defect to the Tories. They were fucked either way. In my opinion they did the only thing that gave them a slim chance of success - sat on the fence and tried to isolate as few people as possible. Turned out that slim chance really was very slim indeed.

Nah, the message wasn't consistent. We had certain members of the party telling us that another referendum was the answer, while others still believed that the will of the people should be observed. Their message was clear as mud.

As I said, this was an election based on Brexit. To go into such an event with no clear message was a recipe for disaster, as we saw. Hopefully they learn from it and get their shit together.

• Paid Members

I must've heard Corbyn give the party position on Brexit about 100 times. Even to the point that Johnson repeatedly used it against him - "how can you have a leader that won't pick a side" etc.

I'm not sure how he could've made it any clearer. It's was clear enough for all the leave voters that defected to the Tories. 

• Moderators
On 12/17/2019 at 12:37 AM, Max Power said:

It was absolutely worthwhile. If anyone is praising Margaret Thatcher then they are completely and definitely getting a 'fuck off'.

The damage she caused to my family, friends and the majority of my community is still being felt today - and will be for years to come.

So once again, he can fuck off.

Except that I can actually control who gets to post on this forum, so see ya later

1 hour ago, Chunk said:

I must've heard Corbyn give the party position on Brexit about 100 times. Even to the point that Johnson repeatedly used it against him - "how can you have a leader that won't pick a side" etc.

I'm not sure how he could've made it any clearer. It's was clear enough for all the leave voters that defected to the Tories. 

And what was the party stance? For Labour to negotiate yet another deal with the EU, then put that to the people for yet another vote? Like I said, clear as mud. Their moniker of "let the people decide" was nonsense. Decide on what? How long would it take them to re-negotiate another deal? They claim three months, but there was no guarantee there. Then they put the deal to yet another vote? How many votes, referendums, elections have we seen these past few years?

While the Labour Party announced their position, it simply wasn't clear enough. I said previously that they should have seized the initiative at the beginning. The public voted to leave the EU? Fine, take control of the leave narrative. Provide the voting public with assurances that they'll respect the initial vote, but look to negotiate a more sensible exit.

Labour didn't do that, and Corbyn didn't commit to an answer that the electorate could identify with. That's why he and the Labour Party lost, in my opinion.

Edited by David