General Erection 2019

Gus Mears

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, MPDTT said:

3. Unions - they wanted to give unions more power - sectoral collective bargaining, a return to secondary picketing, remove restrictions on industrial action...just a return to the 70s! Basically undo all that Thatcher achieved following the winter of discontent, ensuring militant unions can't hold the country to ransom. No thank you. I favour further limiting or even banning industrial action. Unions were relevant when employment law wasn't robust enough. Now it is. I'd ban strike action in a whole raft of industries starting with rail and airlines. 

A human resources manager who thinks trade unions should be abolished? Now I've heard everything!

1 hour ago, David said:

I may be the only one thinking this, but five years in politics is a long fucking time. By the time the next election rolls around (if it takes that long, of course) much of what was promised in 2019 will have been forgotten, or will be easily explained away. 

Even if the "racist locals" aren't happy, they'll still be there, they'll still be pissed off at the intellectual snobs who look down their nose at them and call them racists, and they'll still vote accordingly. And by accordingly, I mean that they'll vote the exact opposite of whichever party is being championed by those they see as looking down on them and calling them racists.

It's the same "basket of deplorables" argument recycled ad nauseam since 2016 though, isn't it? Which handily ensures that many actual victories get the additional gloss of becoming moral victories. I'm beginning to wonder how many so-called Conservative voters are even proper racists anymore, as opposed to noble Northerners, barely managing to discharge their righteous spite vote before the ballot pencil grinds to dust in their furious grip.

2 minutes ago, Little Johnny said:

I'm beginning to wonder how many so-called Conservative voters are even proper racists anymore, as opposed to noble Northerners, barely managing to discharge their righteous spite vote before the ballot pencil grinds to dust in their furious grip.

What Labour really needs is a leader along the lines of Mick McCarthy circa Man City/Celtic era. If that's not someone you could vote for, then who is? 

8 hours ago, neil said:

Honestly posts like this can "Fuck off". Regardless of what you may think of his post, at least it was actually put together and contained his collected thoughts. If you want to disagree with him go ahead, but enough with the one line insult posts.

It was absolutely worthwhile. If anyone is praising Margaret Thatcher then they are completely and definitely getting a 'fuck off'.

The damage she caused to my family, friends and the majority of my community is still being felt today - and will be for years to come.

So once again, he can fuck off.

4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

"Low regulation economy" is code for sack people without reason or comeback.

Never forget that HR are there for the benefit of the employer, not the employee.  I always make my staff aware of the recognised union in our workplace so at least they have the option to join.  Ad hoc legal advice or tribunal support is going to be out of the reach of most people if they have to pay for it out of pocket, which clearly benefits the company.

There has been a terrible Little Johnny shaped misunderstanding here as I completely agree with you. I once had a HR rep (or one of their greasy equivalents) inform me that I was getting a safety briefing firstly “because it’s our legal obligation” but secondly because they cared.

I’m still absolutely baffled that the Tories managed to gain such a large majority. What possesses people to vote against their own interests in such numbers?

’Boris is a liar and I can’t trust anything he says...but I DO like what he says...’

It’s bizarre and utterly deflating. Almost one week has gone since the general election and I’m still struggling to process what has happened, and what it actually means.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m still absolutely baffled that the Tories managed to gain such a large majority. What possesses people to vote against their own interests in such numbers?

’Boris is a liar and I can’t trust anything he says...but I DO like what he says...’

It’s bizarre and utterly deflating. Almost one week has gone since the general election and I’m still struggling to process what has happened, and what it actually means.

It simply means Brexit was more important then anything else for a lot of people, as well as Corbyn being unelectable because he is friends with the IRA and hated Jews. Least that’s what I’ve heard from phone in shows over the last few days

It's simple. It's far easier to provoke feeling than it is thought. If people had stopped to think about what was being offered and thought about the source of the information they were taking information from it would be far closer but you can't reason with feeling. After years of Tory austerity people still felt marginalised and on the fringes and one party played in to that whilst the other tried desperately to but missed the point.

It's a dirty war and all Corbyn is left with at the end of it are his principles, admirable but useless all the same.

Edited by Mr_Danger

I don’t follow politics a lot, but a big problem I had is that Jezza never denied by a terrorist sympathiser, never denied being pally with the IRA. He let the press totally destroy his character and never a bad word back. I’m not saying he should have a slanging match but at least stand up for yourself. If I’d had to vote for a PM rather than a local constituent I wouldn’t have bothered, in my eyes the lot of them are idiots and none worthy of running the country, anyway my vote for helping the worse off seems wasted due to complete lack of understanding what’s important to the electorate. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Rapey Eyes said:

I don’t follow politics a lot, but a big problem I had is that Jezza never denied by a terrorist sympathiser, never denied being pally with the IRA.

It wouldn't have made any difference.