General Erection 2019

Gus Mears

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

My local MP is John Heeley - a Labour Remainer. He's basically fucked because 69.8% of his constituency voted Leave. And LEAVE MEANS LEAVE SEND EM BACK. So the knuckle dragging racists will under no circumstances vote for him.

Not to be a dick or anything, but it's this kind of mindset that will make double sure that those who voted to leave the first time around will never change their minds in large enough numbers to make any kind of difference.

A confrontational stance is the correct way forward when dealing with actual racists, but for the majority who voted to leave under the belief that what they read in national mainstream media was true? Nah, it isn't needed. They aren't racist, they're victims of being duped by a media that we, as a nation, allow to spout lies and deception.

It's fine for the more savvy among us to make judgements, but it wasn't that long ago that when something was printed in a supposedly-reputable media it was considered fact by the vast majority. Times are changing, but it'll take more than accusations of racism and questioning people's intelligence to get us to where we want to be.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So were there any notable amendments in the election bill that got passed?

Nope, the Commons wasn't allowed any amendments to do with who can vote, just one proposed amendment to change the date (which failed.) It then went unamended by the Lords.

• Paid Members

Interesting thread on tactical voting sites. tl;dr, they can be iffy because they are often based on the result in 2017 and the picture in some seats may have changed dramatically since then. Also you need to watch out for whether they are getting you to vote tactically to beat the Tories or to boost the Remain cause. The latter sometimes push the Lib Dems even if there's a pro-Remain Labour candidate with the best chance of winning.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Not to be a dick or anything, but it's this kind of mindset that will make double sure that those who voted to leave the first time around will never change their minds in large enough numbers to make any kind of difference.

A confrontational stance is the correct way forward when dealing with actual racists, but for the majority who voted to leave under the belief that what they read in national mainstream media was true? Nah, it isn't needed. They aren't racist, they're victims of being duped by a media that we, as a nation, allow to spout lies and deception.

It's fine for the more savvy among us to make judgements, but it wasn't that long ago that when something was printed in a supposedly-reputable media it was considered fact by the vast majority. Times are changing, but it'll take more than accusations of racism and questioning people's intelligence to get us to where we want to be.

But they absolutely are racists. I haven't a clue how to embed things on here, but I will categorically tell you know that the people that share them are completely racist. They do want to send them back. They hate brown people. The mindset in Rotherham and Barnsley is ridiculous, honestly.

Up until about 18 months ago I worked as a bin man and I would suggest the blokes who I worked with are 100 percent racist. Picture the scene. You're on your round and a bloke comes out with an extra bin bag: "Will you take this lads?". No problem. If he's foreign, they categorically will not take the extra bag. "I'm not taking that, the p*k* cunt". Happens every day. And these are the blokes that will be voting and are the ones sharing stuff about Corbyn on social media.

Then there's the wasters who I went to school with. Dr Ahmed has come over here and taken us jobs. I can't speak for your local area David, but this is what's happening in mine.

Exhibit A....

Too many Muslims. 

2 hours ago, JNLister said:

Also you need to watch out for whether they are getting you to vote tactically to beat the Tories or to boost the Remain cause. The latter sometimes push the Lib Dems even if there's a pro-Remain Labour candidate with the best chance of winning.

The CEO of Best For Britain is Naomi Smith, who once was a prospective candidate for the Lib Dems and is a good friend of Clegg. But I’m sure that’s coincidental. 

• Paid Members

Sky News have reported Trump has said Corbyn would be so bad for Britain. He appeared on Farage's LBC show and said 

"Corbyn would be so bad for your country, he'd be so bad, he'd take you in such a bad way.

Which if that is not an endorsement, I don't know what is

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

The CEO of Best For Britain is Naomi Smith, who once was a prospective candidate for the Lib Dems and is a good friend of Clegg. But I’m sure that’s coincidental. 

She's not good friends with Clegg at all, Keith. They can't stand eachother and she was instrumental in launching an attempted coup against him in 2014 with Michael Oakeshot.

1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

She's not good friends with Clegg at all, Keith. They can't stand eachother and she was instrumental in launching an attempted coup against him in 2014 with Michael Oakeshot.

Ooh, interesting!

My prediction, for what little it's worth.  Corbyn turns out to be a really good campaigner (like last time) and Johnson turns out to be a sack of shit on the campaign trail.  The polls will narrow in the next 2 weeks and the Tory press will start shitting themselves, with headlines like "Corbyn raped my nan's hamster" by the day of the vote.

We'll end up with a hung parliament, a week of horsetrading, and a Labour minority government propped up by the SNP as supply and confidence partners.  They'll get another independence referendum which will go the same way.  We'll get a 2nd referendum and Remain will win, and we'll all be back to square one again except immeasurably more divided than before.

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

But they absolutely are racists. I haven't a clue how to embed things on here, but I will categorically tell you know that the people that share them are completely racist. They do want to send them back. They hate brown people. The mindset in Rotherham and Barnsley is ridiculous, honestly.

Up until about 18 months ago I worked as a bin man and I would suggest the blokes who I worked with are 100 percent racist. Picture the scene. You're on your round and a bloke comes out with an extra bin bag: "Will you take this lads?". No problem. If he's foreign, they categorically will not take the extra bag. "I'm not taking that, the p*k* cunt". Happens every day. And these are the blokes that will be voting and are the ones sharing stuff about Corbyn on social media.

Then there's the wasters who I went to school with. Dr Ahmed has come over here and taken us jobs. I can't speak for your local area David, but this is what's happening in mine.

Again, why do they think that way? Why do they think that foreigners are coming over here and taking their jobs? Why do they think we can invest millions in the NHS if we leave the EU? They aren't just coming up with these ideas on their own, are they? The majority don't just harbour an intense hatred of black people and foreigners for no reason. 

They feel this way because they're told these things by the media. They're told that Muslims are terrorists, they're told that Polish people are undercutting the wages and doing them out of jobs, they're told that there are gangs of foreigners complaining at the local town hall about Christmas decorations and Poppy displays. 

By attacking these people you're simply driving them to even further extremes in my opinion. Never in the fucking history of man has someone shouted "you're a racist cunt!" at someone, only for the person to go "wait, you know what? You're right. I need to clue myself up on what's actually happening."

All that happens is someone calls them a fucking idiot, an uneducated racist, and they simmer away until the BNP, UKIP, or even worse chaps on their door and tells them that they understand them, that they don't think they're idiots, and that they want to help.

It sickens me, because that chap on the door and the understanding voice they hear should be someone from the Labour party, someone from their area who can point out where they're going wrong without being condescending about it.

Are there actual racist people in among the group you speak of? Of course, but they're not the majority. I refuse to believe that Britain is made up of almost 18 million racists. The majority of that number are people who take the media at face value. And can we blame them? The media is supposed to be trustworthy. Do you think it's a coincidence that a lot of elderly people voted to leave? They are part of an era where there was no internet, where what you read in your daily paper on your way to work was what was actually happening in the world. The Daily Mail told them that Brexit is the answer, it'll bring back the Britain they remember from their younger years, The Sun bangs on about how Muslims lads are raping white children, or the Express is talking about how we can't say "Merry Christmas" anymore.

Even on this forum, how many times has someone said "a relative of mines shared a pro-Brexit/lies about Christmas or poppies/fabricated story about how foreigners are killing this country post on Facebook. I can't believe they did that, they've never acted in a way to suggest they're racist or bigoted before?"

Here's the thing, and you may choose to disagree, and that's fine, but if we continue as a nation to be at each others throats, hurling insults, becoming further entrenched in our own positions we'll get absolutely nowhere. Sure, your binman pals can feel big and proper British talking about "foreign cunts", and we can all feel a sense of moral superiority as we brand them morons and racists, but it won't solve fuck all. The politicians will still play the game, and everyone else will need to suffer the consequences.

When people say "what can we do to stop this misguided behaviour and try to stop the anger?" the answer is quite simple. All the protests, the anger, the insults? They need to be aimed at the fucking media who perpetuate the lies that people believe. Why the fuck are the likes of the Daily Mail never held to account? Where are the politicians who can take a stand against fabricated, false bullshit being printed on a daily basis? Companies like Facebook make a fortune from their membership, all the while they don't really do as much as they can to stop bullshit from spreading. 

For all the big talk we'll still see political leaders of all parties cosy up to Rupert Murdoch and others of his ilk.

Until we get to the root of the problem fuck all will change. We can have as many votes as we like. Labour could win this election, they could overturn Brexit and all of the Remain side will be dancing in the street, and a lot of them will be laughing at the idiot leavers who've lost. Fuck them! Racist, uneducated cunts! They shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway! 

They won't be going away though. There'll be even more trouble down the road. Do you think they'll just say "ah well, no Brexit. That's how the cookie crumbles!" Will they fuck. One-upmanship won't work, understanding and education will. Until we reach that point, we'll roll on as we are.

I've just remembered why I'm not even on the voting register in all honesty. The whole thing is a shit show. It's like a bad fucking television program.