Sign in to follow this  
Gus Mears

General Erection 2019

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just signed up to SwapMyVote. Been thinking about it more and more and I think it's a way to make a difference, but I'll be honest - I'm nervous. Anyone else using it?

I love this thread. just says everything i wish I was clever enough to say. What a pity it's not as widely seen as a front page of The Sun.

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Just signed up to SwapMyVote. Been thinking about it more and more and I think it's a way to make a difference, but I'll be honest - I'm nervous. Anyone else using it?

I’m wary of any of that, especially after shit like FactCheckUK 

22 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I have to admit to being a little mystified as to how that can work. Presumably you want someone to vote the same way you do, in which case, what's to swap? The only scenario I can think of would be highly problematic.

My (and your) situation is that we live in a Labour super-stronghold. For our vote to count anywhere else, we'd have to want someone to be willing to switch their vote from a Tory one to someone anti-Tory, which probably means they'd want us to vote Tory. Because I know Labour will win here, and because getting a vote for Labour in a constituency where it might make a difference is definitely appealing, it might possibly be the only situation where I might consider it, but it's far too dangerous for my liking. And when you consider how tribal politics has got, it's difficult to imagine finding anyone who cares so little about their vote that they'd offer to make such a diametric switch. Not to mention that they probably wouldn't want to swap with someone in a Labour stronghold.

Most importantly, though, it relies on the honour system, and in this era, that's really asking to get shafted.

I know, and the trust factor is one I'm worrying about. However, I disagree that your case is the only one - it's more about which anti-tory vote and where.

As you say, I'm in a Labour super-stronghold. Worst case scenario is likely that we get Lib Dems instead of Labour. However, Labour isn't my only preference. I'd also happily vote for the Green party. So, I can look for someone who is a Green voter in a marginal constituency. In return for them voting Labour to help keep the Tories out, I'll vote Green in a Labour stronghold. 

This means that Labour get a vote where it counts, and the Greens get a vote where it's less likely to split the vote against the Tories.

When you sign up, you can link your email and twitter - then it's a bit like Tinder or something, where you show interest in someone, and then you could be matched within two hours. You can then chat/email etc and see if you trust each other.

So, let's say someone is playing the game against me, and they're actually a Tory who has no intention of voting differently. Well, they weren't going to anyway. And my vote is hopefully a low-risk one to lose. But the potential gain is worth more.

Sorry, by "vote the same way you do", I meant more "in your general direction", rather than the same party - i.e. 2nd Ref, GTTO, etc. Surely a Green would be more likely to vote tactically this election on this basis and therefore not need that incentive? And would they want a vote for Green in a constituency they know it would have almost no effect?

What constituencies are Green going to have an effect in, other than Brighton? They're not close in many places. What matters most to the Greens in this election is overall vote share.

That Green voters (or, indeed, Lib Dems) are more likely to vote tactically is exactly why they're on there. They want to vote tactically, but ideally in a way that can avoid losing them the support they want to give them. 

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

What constituencies are Green going to have an effect in, other than Brighton? They're not close in many places. What matters most to the Greens in this election is overall vote share.

That Green voters (or, indeed, Lib Dems) are more likely to vote tactically is exactly why they're on there. They want to vote tactically, but ideally in a way that can avoid losing them the support they want to give them. 

Plaid and the Lib Dems have officially stood down to help the Greens in the Vale of Glamorgan (nudge, nudge). But everyone knows its really to help Labour try and oust the Welsh Secretary, Alun Cairns. 

Edited by garynysmon

True, the vote share is something I hadn't considered.

For me, though, it's still the trust factor I can't get past. Not just that someone might renege on the deal, as there's nothing to stop them or even prove that they have, but also that they could be a Tory purporting to be a Labour/Green/progressive voter to pull a fast one.

4 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Plaid and the Lib Dems have officially stood down to help the Greens in the Vale of Glamorgan (nudge, nudge). But everyone knows its really to help Labour try and oust Welsh Secretary, Alun Cairns. 

I clearly meant somewhere that matters.

No, joking aside, that's interesting to know. Thanks.

EDIT - how come they're not doing so more openly? Just to toe the party lines?

Edited by Chris B

This tactical voting lark is an interesting one though.

Around here we have Labour furiously campaigning in Arfon (a Plaid Cymru held seat)  including a Corbyn visit on Sunday, despite all polls suggesting they have a tough fight on their hands to defend their seats in north east Wales from the Tories. 

Yes, without a hint of irony, this week we see Labour figures urging Plaid to stop campaigning in Wrexham or else they'll let the Tories in.

Its all a bit of a mess tbh.

I think Labour should have stood down in marginals where they're out of the race, not only does it help potential tory-ousters, it would have put pressure on lib dems to stand down in the real crunch lab/con marginals where the libs serve only to shit things up. 

Two reasons why they didn't (IMO): 1), I imagine the tories and MSM would have pasted them for doing so, they would have been accused of abandoning places, not being a truly national party, etc. The tories have already been complaining about the idea of tactical voting this week, so I can't imagine the screeching if there'd been an actual agreement. You know, like the Brexit party stepping aside for the tories. 2) Neither Corbyn nor Swinson wanted to make the first move. They didn't trust each other to reciprocate, whether officially or unofficially.

Lib Dems standing aside would have meant admitting that all the misleading bar chart leaflets saying how well they did "last time" they sent out were misleading.

Current Lib dem economic policy of austerity forever would be more suited to a tory coalition, though Corbyn is obviously far more suited to liberal values generally, regardless of how much Ian Dunt weeps about him. 

Completely agree. Take the constituency next to mine, Esher and Walton. The Labour candidate endorsing the Lib Dem would probably mean Raab goes. Why wouldn’t they want that to happen? Madness 

It's also because Labour are arrogant pricks who think they are above all the other parties. That's the reason they're the only non-Tory party that is happy with FPTP.

It's one of the biggest turn offs for me with Labour.

Edited by Chest Rockwell