General Erection 2019

Gus Mears

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

@UK Kat Von D views on this has been trending throughout my social media today. That's all I really am noticing about this election, the entire thing is going to piss my MH off if I read too much about it all, especially as I'm about to get in the teaching profession. 

Comments have gotten quite heated over on the Facebook version of this, I also got shared by Left Bible which was nice.

Might stand as an MP next time around 

I don't normally watch Good Morning Britain but stuck it on this morning and watched all that shit unfold live, with the minder telling the journo to fuck off, man-handling him out of the way with a press officer in the back ground orchestrating all the shots they wanted, all with King Twat Piers Morgan chuntering in the background. Marvellous car crash telly.

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Just signed up to SwapMyVote. Been thinking about it more and more and I think it's a way to make a difference, but I'll be honest - I'm nervous. Anyone else using it?

I’m wary of any of that, especially after shit like FactCheckUK 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Just signed up to SwapMyVote. Been thinking about it more and more and I think it's a way to make a difference, but I'll be honest - I'm nervous. Anyone else using it?

I have to admit to being a little mystified as to how that can work. Presumably you want someone to vote the same way you do, in which case, what's to swap? The only scenario I can think of would be highly problematic.

My (and your) situation is that we live in a Labour super-stronghold. For our vote to count anywhere else, we'd have to want someone to be willing to switch their vote from a Tory one to someone anti-Tory, which probably means they'd want us to vote Tory. Because I know Labour will win here, and because getting a vote for Labour in a constituency where it might make a difference is definitely appealing, it might possibly be the only situation where I might consider it, but it's far too dangerous for my liking. And when you consider how tribal politics has got, it's difficult to imagine finding anyone who cares so little about their vote that they'd offer to make such a diametric switch. Not to mention that they probably wouldn't want to swap with someone in a Labour stronghold.

Most importantly, though, it relies on the honour system, and in this era, that's really asking to get shafted.

• Paid Members

I know, and the trust factor is one I'm worrying about. However, I disagree that your case is the only one - it's more about which anti-tory vote and where.

As you say, I'm in a Labour super-stronghold. Worst case scenario is likely that we get Lib Dems instead of Labour. However, Labour isn't my only preference. I'd also happily vote for the Green party. So, I can look for someone who is a Green voter in a marginal constituency. In return for them voting Labour to help keep the Tories out, I'll vote Green in a Labour stronghold. 

This means that Labour get a vote where it counts, and the Greens get a vote where it's less likely to split the vote against the Tories.

When you sign up, you can link your email and twitter - then it's a bit like Tinder or something, where you show interest in someone, and then you could be matched within two hours. You can then chat/email etc and see if you trust each other.

So, let's say someone is playing the game against me, and they're actually a Tory who has no intention of voting differently. Well, they weren't going to anyway. And my vote is hopefully a low-risk one to lose. But the potential gain is worth more.