General Erection 2019

Gus Mears

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I still have the nightmare that a slim majority winds up with:

Boris Johnson: "Now we can pass my deal!"

ERG: "Yeah, we just remembered we don't like the divorce bill or the taking rules in a transition period or the Irish Sea border, so we're voting against."

Johnson: "But if you do that we'll lose the vote and then crash out without a deal."

ERG:

mark-francois.jpg

• Paid Members

Johnson won’t ever recover after he had said time and time again that all the candidates have promised to back his deal. They win any form of majority and fail to get it though it will be chaos. People would have the whip removed and no confidence vote would be a rea possibility 

Edited by quote the raven

• Moderators
3 hours ago, quote the raven said:

Johnson won’t ever recover after he had said time and time again that all the candidates have promised to back his deal. They win any form of majority and fail to get it though it will be chaos. People would have the whip removed and no confidence vote would be a rea possibility 

Man you have so much more faith in the system than I do.

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Man you have so much more faith in the system than I do.

I have faith in Johnson having no choice but to remove the whip if anyone of his new government refuse to back his deal. IF that then puts him in a minority the opposition parties would be stupid not to call no confidence and round we go again. 

I dont think it will come to that yet......Come end of next year if we dont have a deal in place and we end up back on the no deal knife edge its very possible. 

Does anyone just find all of this utterly draining? My MH has taken a fucking nosedive this last month (hate this time of year as it is and my sunlight lamp is broke) and all of this is just really overwhelming.

I’d like to switch off from it all and just not care, but that’s not a choice is it really? Thursday night/Friday morning I’ll be sat watching it all when I should just be watching Back To The Future. 

Sorry, nothing to add on the GE but just wanted to know if anyone else shared this.

• Paid Members

I'm getting to the point where I'm just thinking "Fuck it - leave all the political TV, radio, and social media alone, and just watch nothing but light stuff until election day, then vote. Done."

• Paid Members

Yes, absolutely. I'd been doing a decent job of avoiding too much stress about it, while still keeping up, but yesterday was just so much in one go. The shit about EU migrants not treating this as 'their country', the hospital stuff, the coordinated lies about the hospital stuff, the 'fake punch' story and the journalists fucking HELPING... yesterday was the first time I started feeling outright anxious over this shit.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Does anyone just find all of this utterly draining? My MH has taken a fucking nosedive this last month (hate this time of year as it is and my sunlight lamp is broke) and all of this is just really overwhelming.

I’d like to switch off from it all and just not care, but that’s not a choice is it really? Thursday night/Friday morning I’ll be sat watching it all when I should just be watching Back To The Future. 

Sorry, nothing to add on the GE but just wanted to know if anyone else shared this.

Yep me and Keith have both mentioned the same. I'm having issues at work as well, but this whole situation and fear as to what could happen on Thursday is definitely contributing to my MH struggles 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah, I'm burned out. I'm a politics nerd, both current affairs and historical, across multiple countries, it occupies a major part of my brain, and the last year or so is the first time that I've just completely started tuning it out. There was a point a month or two ago where I actually forgot Boris Johnson was the Prime Minister, because I just wasn't engaging with the outside world any more.

The general election has got me switched back on, and following what's going on, and trying to be as engaged as I can, but in a completely different way to how I normally approach an election. I don't think I have a shred of optimism in me about the result, or even any real curiosity around it. Most years I would stay up watching the coverage as it happens, and I cannot remotely see myself doing that this year at all. 

On top of that, I don't live in the UK any more, and don't have a vote, so in theory I'm not directly affected, though I absolutely will be whatever happens. But my family still all live in England, as does my other half, and I'm starting to make plans to move back there myself. So there's a lot of anxiety, coupled with whatever happens around Brexit, about exactly what the country I'm hopefully moving back to might look like. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah I'm feeling the fatigue for sure. Right now I can't even be arsed to stay up watching it but I know I will end up doing so on Thursday anyway.

Absolutely. I'll just wake up Friday morning to accept the bad news and move on.

• Paid Members

I usually love pulling an all nighter on election nights and the twists and turns that occur as the night goes on. But I've got a feeling that this year I'll just watch until the inital exit polls are announced and chuck in the towel and go to sleep. Maybe if the exit poll shows that the result is very close or it looks certain that the Tory wankers wont get the majority it looks like they will get, then may say fuck it, load up on the coffe, order a few kebabs and tune in for the full coverage though.