Jordan 'minstrel' Myles

JNLister

• Paid Members

I think it's very, very obvious what the problem is here. And I say that as someone who admitted during the Danny Baker "scandal" that I don't immediately see the whole monkey thing.

I doubt the person who designed it thought about that, suspect it was someone too young to make the connection, but I can't believe it got through their layers without someone twigging.

Find this suggestion that it was changed a month ago baffling. This kid is seriously desperate to be unemployed if he's kicking off publicly about it a month after they sorted it all out. Where does this "defence" come from?

If you work for a giant company (with all kinds of shade in it's background) as a black man, it is completely possible to voice this kind of stuff without getting fired or punished. This is a fact. Most shady multi million dollar companies would never risk getting sued for racism. Racism is illegal in most places.

Maybe, but does America have constructive dismissal laws? Could he argue that the production of the shirt and the lack of response to his concerns represent a failure to provide a tenable working environment?

Of course the new shirt somewhat invalidates that, but if he's been yelling at a wall about this for a month you could see his point.

Or, it's a work and he's going to be a one dimensional, woke millennial heel when he gets back on TV, if he ever does.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

If you work for a giant company (with all kinds of shade in it's background) as a black man, it is completely possible to voice this kind of stuff without getting fired or punished. This is a fact. Most shady multi million dollar companies would never risk getting sued for racism. Racism is illegal in most places.

Absolutely. But there seems to be a suggestion that this was resolved a month ago and he's now raising it publicly in the manner he is. Those two things don't add up. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm questioning the whol "it was resolved a month ago" aspect.

It's absolutely possible and quite right that any individual regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability feel comfortable and supported in their workplace, and have the ability to safely voice concerns about anything that impinges that without fear of recrimination. He clearly did that a month ago and they resolved the issue. What he's doing now is publicly calling out his employer in an open forum, which they would 100% have grounds to end his employment on the back of should they choose to, especially if it was shown that there was no intent behind the original offence and that they had taken reasonable step to address it at the time. Whether they choose to of course is another matter. I doubt WWE really want a focus on their racial sensitivity in the media - news outlets could and would go to town on their past if this became a bigger story.

14 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Absolutely. But there seems to be a suggestion that this was resolved a month ago and he's now raising it publicly in the manner he is. Those two things don't add up. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm questioning the whol "it was resolved a month ago" aspect.

Makes all the difference in the world. If that is the case, I'd strongly advise him to get off of twitter and get some legal representation.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Outside of the statement, the only person of note I've seen give any info on the whole "a month ago" narrative is David Bixenspan, but I would assume he got that info from WWE, so who knows.

23 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Outside of the statement, the only person of note I've seen give any info on the whole "a month ago" narrative is David Bixenspan, but I would assume he got that info from WWE, so who knows.

Myles acknowledged it on his own Twitter when a fan brought it up to him.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

it's not, it's wrong on 1 very specific level and something that clearly several people saw before anyone made the connection. If you can say that you would have realised had it not been pointed out you then I'll call you a liar, I know I definitely would not have noticed the black face similarity.

I did see it immediately, actually. Was just shown the picture without context or comment, and it was immediately obvious. I don't care if you think I'm a liar. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Myles acknowledged it on his own Twitter when a fan brought it up to him.

Seen that now. Fair play to him, he's not letting it go without an apology. He's not going to make many friends higher up but that's hardly the point.

23 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I did see it immediately, actually. Was just shown the picture without context or comment, and it was immediately obvious. I don't care if you think I'm a liar. 

Good for you. 

5 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

My point was specific to Ralphy

36 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As long as we can agree that racism is wrong and we honestly try not to partake in it, we're all fine.

Edited by Whistling Skull

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Good for you. 

You also followed that with something about people "feigning outrage". That's why I responded to your point as a whole. 

2 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

As long as we can agree that racism is wrong and we honestly try not to partake in it, we're all fine.

Criticism of it happening is part and parcel of not participating in it. I don't doubt the sincerity of people on here who say they deplore racism. But a lot of people who deplore racism don't often recognise racist behaviour in their own actions, and it's episodes like the above T-shirt being created and put out without any kind of thought about the implications that highlight this.