Cain Velasquez - What do we think?

David

He should definitely go to AAA, he seemed to fit in nicely there. AEW already made a play for him and when he turned it down the gave the spot to Hager. Gotta assume he regrets that decision unless WWE gave him so much money that he doesn’t care at all. Hager has been booked brilliantly, with someone like Cain’s credentials he’d be over as fuck

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Cain should’ve been a prime candidate for both the, “Wrestlers who peaked on their debut,” and the, “Who is lucky to still be employed?” threads. I think it speaks volumes for how forgettable he and his run in WWE has been that I don’t think he was mentioned once.

Fair play to him though. Considering how endlessly injured he is, he’s had the better part of a year to rest and rehab whilst presumably making top dollar. How much he’s made against how much he actually wrestled, I bet his hourly wage was insane.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

what a bizarre run that was. 

I loved his couple of matches in AAA, and thought it would have been a guaranteed huge pop if he unexpectedly started busting some out of his Lucha spots in a WWE match once everyone had come to expect him to just do worked MMA. It would have been great for a rematch with Lesnar to have Brock go in expecting more of the same, only for Cain to show that he'd adapted and bust out a couple of arm drags, springboards and Ranas. Would make sense given that he's been on-screen linked with Rey Mysterio, too.

If, as he said in AAA, he's committed to wrestling as his career now, it could be really interesting to see where he pops up next. Back in AAA seems plausible, but with the option of popping up on shows like Josh Barnett's Bloodsport could be fun, and it wouldn't be the worst get in the world for AEW to be able to say that they have one of the only three men to have beaten Brock Lesnar in MMA on their books.

Not to downplay Cain’s MMA achievements and career, but I think that says more about Lesnar than it does him. Lesnar lost nearly as many as he won (56% Win ratio when you factor in the overturned result against Mark Hunt). Considering a win over a guy who loses nearly every other fight to be an achievement makes Brock look a better fighter than he actually was. 

Youd be better off not mentioning Lesnar at all and playing up his MMA career overall- Most Significant Strikes in UFC, Most Takedowns, Most Heavyweight KOs*, and his NCAA and NJCAA

* Yes, Lesnar was one, but so were 9 others

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

that could work in their favour, though - Cain Velasquez being brought in as a ringside enforcer to neutralise Hager being in Jericho's corner for a title fight could be a really fun angle.

Yeah but I can’t see a spot for him after that. Having too many MMA guys sharing the same gimmick seems counter productive unless they are bringing something to the table. 

Had a chat with him at the BT/WWE launch event - he was working the room but few people seemed to be speaking to him. Nice guy, but I didn't get the sense he was particularly enamoured with wrestling, nor did I think he was up for putting much effort into it. That lustre seemed to drop off him very quick.

Edited by AVM

1 hour ago, JNLister said:

How do guys like this (and indeed wrestlers like Anderson & Gallows) have enough leverage to get silly money deals, but not enough to put a no-cut clause in the contract?

Maybe that's how?

Take more money per week/Month/Year however they get paid but run the risk of being fired on a whim

Or get paid substantially less but have a guaranteed 5 years of income.

Had anyone ever had a no Cut clause though?

• Paid Members

He'll no doubt do good business as a special attraction back in AAA, Konnan speaks very highly of his humility and work ethic.

I never thought for a minute that he was going to end up as a full time roster member in WWE and he doesn't have either the charisma or physical presence to have been an effective part-timer for big shows.