Racism and homophobia in football

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

Care to provide anything to back up your view here?

I'm sure any links that I provide showing evidence that Celtic and Rangers are just as big a pair of racist cunts as each other will be given a fair and even-handed response by you, a Celtic fan who thinks Rangers fans are far more racist than Celtic fans.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

While Russia's national anthem is by a mile the best, I would add Ireland to the list too, because the chorus of people yelling "Ireland. IRRRELLAAAND" is belting.

That isn't Ireland's national anthem. Or at least the ROI's anyway. Unless you consider Ireland as a nation unified which opens up another can of worms.

Ireland's Call is indeed a banger though. 

I live in Scotland and am a neutral when it comes to the auld firm. Had many a good day out at Ibrox and Parkhead though, and a good drink in both Rangers and Celtic bars.

I believe both have a tremendous passionate support, almost ruined though by a certain percentage of sectarianisn, hatred and bile. One upmanship and rivalry is a good thing, but it's turns to fierce hatred quickly and it ruins people and lives. If I'm honest, in my unbiased opinion, I feel Rangers are worst for it, but there's plenty of idiots on both sides. That's football and rivalry for you. But put it this way, I'll be encouraging my son to support our local team, in the hope that he doesn't get swept up in the hatred of the auld firm. 

I think Rangers are far worse than Celtic, I'm sure it's the same for some on the other cheek of the arse, but some Rangers fans hate Celtic more than they love their own club.  But that's nothing to do with racism, this is though.

Mate of mine is from the Isle Of Bute, he lives in Coventry and was a member of "Coventry Loyal", the Rangers supporters club.  He was in the boozer and the chairman of the group asked if he'd be at the meeting on Sunday.  He said he wouldn't because he's been out loads this week and is taking his wife out, the chairman said to bring her along.  My mate said he wouldn't feel safe with her going.  When the chairman asked why and was told it was because she was black, he got a horrified look on his face.  "You got a problem with that" my mate asked.  "erm....no...no I haven't but you're right", some of the lads might.  He never attended another meeting.

Used to watch every Old Firm game with him, I never got grief for watching them with a Rangers fan, but he did for watching them with a Celtic fan.

Edited by Keith Houchen
Big Jock Knew

• Paid Members

Well, one thing is for certain. Football "rivalries" are one thing, but when that rivalry is determined by religion, race, colour or any other bullshit it's wank! We're all football fans, we should all just be united by the love of the game. Except for fans of the Sheffield Clubs or Leeds. Fans of the Sheffield clubs and Leeds can fuck off...

5 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Well, one thing is for certain. Football "rivalries" are one thing, but when that rivalry is determined by religion, race, colour or any other bullshit it's wank! We're all football fans, we should all just be united by the love of the game. Except for fans of the Sheffield Clubs or Leeds. Fans of the Sheffield clubs and Leeds can fuck off...

I also hate Football fans who's politics are decided by which team they support.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I also hate Football fans who's politics are decided by which team they support.

It's a funny one. Without the tribalism and passion, football would be dull as fuck, but it's a double edged sword because people let that passion blinker them(as seen with the Celtic/Rangers talk in here).

Sectarianism is a huge problem in Scottish schools. I've worked in Catholic and non-denominational schools up here and the problem is the same in both. 

Children repeat the hatred and bile that they hear at home which then helps to determine their views. The Rangers and Celtic supporting kids are just as bad as each other for this. Using insults against each other, singing sectarian songs to each other, refusing to work with people who support the other team, refusing to wear a blue or green bib in PE. Children aren't born hating the other team or its supporters. It's learned behaviour from their parents or others. 

There are campaigns and programs in Scottish schools to address it but it's a losing battle to be honest. 

The most offended I've ever seen a child was when he (a Celtic fan) was called a Rangers fan during an argument with someone else.