UFC Moscow: Zabit vs Kattar - Nov 9 🇷🇺

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, we have this event this weekend.

A tasty little card in my opinion, with enough to keep me interested. 

This could be Zabit's real coming out party if he can win in style here. He'll most likely have the support of the crowd behind him, so he'll seem like a million dollars, but as Wand says, Kattar is no joke. This isn't a gimme fight in the slightest, and I wouldn't be surprised if Zabit actually lost it. I don't think he will though.

Volkov vs Hardy is what it is. I favour Volkov, but wouldn't be surprised if Hardy managed to starch him with a big shot. The dude has power, and he's a solid force to be reckoned with. 

I'll be rooting for fellow Brit Roberts in his bout with Imadaev, but he's up against it I think. I don't see it ending well for him, Imadaev is a bit of a KO artist, which is unusual as most of these Russian dudes seem to be grinding wrestling types.

Aside from seeing how old TUF alumni Ed Herman gets on there isn't much else on the card that catches my eye, although no doubt there'll be some decent scraps in among them.

• Paid Members

Calvin Kattar in hostile territory; 

Rocky IV vibes. I’m really about 50/50 on this fight. Zabit’s the one with more hype, and I get why, he’s looked the business so far. But I really like what I’ve seen of Kattar. Only thing I don’t like is I wish it was a 5 rounder. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I’m not sure even Fury could embarrass Hardy any more effectively than he’s done himself already. 

Just looked over this card again and it’s a real potential cracker. I get why there’s not that much excitement for it going in because a lot of the names are fairly new. But some of these Russians on this card could be a problem in their divisions going forward. Imadaev and Kopylov are the immediate standouts to me, both big finishers. Imadaev is 8-1 with all his wins by KO, Kopylov is 8-0 with 7 knockouts. Then there’s Gamzatov who’s 13-0 with 10 finishes, Emeev who’s on a 7 fight streak, the card is full of these unheralded guys who look a handful on paper. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Did anyone catch this show during the forum blackout? Thought it was pretty solid. Definitely better than the São Paulo card last week. 

Zabit vs Kattar was a good fight. Really enjoyed it. Wish it was 5 rounds though. That’s the big question on Zabit for me. Can he hang down the stretch? He looks great early on but watching this fight I couldn’t help but think Kattar would’ve given him serious issues if he had a 4th and 5th round to play with. I seem to recall Zabit slowing down late in another fight as well (maybe the Jeremy Stephens one?). Not a good sign. Especially when the champion in your division is a cardio, pace and volume striking freak like Max Holloway. 

Volkov vs Hardy was what it was. Hardy managed to go the distance, which is more than I expected. But I also felt like Volkov was obviously playing the cautious game and not wanting to take any risks with a last minute switch up opponent. 

Highlights of the undercard were Magomed Ankalaev busting out a front kick finish in his fight. And Danny Roberts sweet left hook KO on Imadaev...

5BC1523F-5F16-4791-BF09-DD084C553E30.gif

• Paid Members

Zabit Vs Kattar was a good fight, but it definitely made me feel that Zabit isn't ready yet for a title fight. He's won six in a row in the division but he also doesn't have a Edgar, Aldo, Zombie, Mendes, Swanson or Ortega win on his record that would confirm if he is ready to try and tackle Max. 

If Max beats Volkanovski and Zombie beats Ortega then you make that fight. If Volkanovski takes the title I expect they'll do an automatic re-match, or else the winner of Ortega vs Sung Jung.

Should Holloway win and Ortega was to beat Korean Zombie, then that's where I think Zabit could end up getting the call. One win isn't enough for me to think Ortega would have anything different for Max, should he get another crack so soon. 

• Paid Members

I’d like to see Zabit vs Yair Rodriguez while the rest of the division plays itself out. Ideally as a 5 rounder on a Fight Night. 

Holloway vs Volkanovski 

Ortega vs Zombie 

Zabit vs Rodriguez 

That’s a hell of a mini tournament. 145 is class. 

I really liked the card, and had similar thoughts to you guys.

I don't think Zabit is ready for a crack at Holloway/Volkanovski yet either. That's the second fight on the bounce he's had now where he's brought his foot off the gas now in the third round, and I'm still not sure if it's through him tiring, his confidence in his ability to see a fight out, him not wanting to get caught with something wild or a combination of the three. I think we need to see him over the course of five rounds, because someone who puts on a pace like Holloway, or who will wrestle the fuck out of you like Volkanovski won't be letting him get away with it. I don't think Kattar looked bad at all, actually. He certainly didn't let Zabit get it all his own way.

I get why Volkov fought the way he did, because if there's one thing you never want to chance in the heavyweight division it's getting cracked by something, but fuck me it made for plodding viewing. I would've thought in the third, when it was obvious he was in complete control and Hardy had fuck all about him that he would've looked for a finish, or something flashy, or anything to make the fight memorable at all. As it stands, even though he got the win I feel like his stock hasn't gone up in the slightest, which is a shame because I like Volkov, and would like to see him propel himself up the rankings a bit.