The Official Dolph Ziggler Appreciation Thread

The Maestro

I fully expect a lot of this forum to piss on this thread. The self loathing wrestling fans that use phrases like "dem ones" or whatever wankery is en vogue to get a cheap upvote. However, I'm inspired to post this after watching the Rey/Ziggler match from Summerslam 2009 a few moments ago.

Yes he deserves a lot of shit he gets. And yes, the whole "it's my time" schtick he's had on and off for the best part of 7 years is tiresome. But do you know what? He's been great at times. So rather than do the usual here's why he he's lame, let's dedicate a thread to the great moments that he's provided. Let's kick things off with this...

And let's not forget my fave cash in...

Also...that time when I was barely watching wrestling but he had this great little feud...

So take your best shot, give it all you got, come on!! 

• Awards Moderator

He has been great at times. That Miz feud in 2016, the Edge match at the Rumble in 2011... but it's the fact he's been around for well over a decade now and the 'at times' are vastly outnumbered by the '*sigh* here's bloody Ziggler again'. He's almost suffered for his longevity - he's been there so much and for so long that anything great he does tends to blend into the larger background of meh.

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

That time when he was announced as THE NEW DOLPH ZIGGLER and was exactly the same except with a different haircut.

And then he went back to being THE OLD DOLPH ZIGGLER within a week.

His main problem is that his character hasn’t progressed an inch since he ditched the weird ‘introducing himself’ gimmick. 

If anyone needs a complete reboot it’s him.

He’s definitely had great moments and there was a time when I really enjoyed him but I hate the character so much these days that I can’t even enjoy the moments in his career that we’re objectively good. 

It just shouldn’t be the case that there’s a wrestler who makes me think ‘wow, I’d enjoy this sport more if I could just forget about his career.’

...I’m really sorry, that probably isn’t in the spirit of this thread.

None of his character work has ever been stronger than the “HEY I DO BUMPS AND WORKRATES, I SHOULD BE PUSHED MORE, FOLLOW THIS, #HEEL #SHOWOFF” meta bullshit. Which always makes his matches less accessible as stories, because there’s so much emphasis on the fact that he’s performing. Sort of a wrestling equivalent of a scenery-chewing actor.

And since WWE started signing up as many indie darlings as possible, Ziggler’s meta stuff lost a lot of its appeal to what had been his core wanbase.

That said, he has had a few great moments through the years. And I’ve quite enjoyed pretty much everything I’ve seen him do on this most recent run.

Edited by King Pitcos