What wrestling moves are harder/easier to perform/receive than they look?

Maikeru

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Leg drops. Did shows for a decade and they always looked dire. Just to illustrate it's not only an issue for people who aren't very good working the arse-end of ShitWres, remember Jericho saying something similar in one of his books. 

This! I could never get them to look any good.

Anyone who's ever play wrestled their co-workers doing the back shift at the cash and carry knows a Rock Bottom is hard to take. 

We had our own wrestling promotion, Slutty Championship Wrestling. I was the Harsh Spanker, teaming with my mate Chocolate Biscuit, going up against Sexual Torture and Filthy Whore. It was openly choreographed, and we pushed the young guys and the hardest workers. 

Me being the fair booker I was always jobbed myself out. Sexual Torture's finisher was the Rock Bottom. But anytime taking a Rock Bottom, the recievers natural instinct is to cushion the landing by putting their feet out, rather than taking a full back bump. 

Solution was I take the bump off the filler shelf onto a pallet of out of date Quavers. I set myself up for a full on back bump when mid fall I shat it, grabbed hold of Sexual Torture's arm, who fell on top of me and kneed my face. 

Rock Bottoms are hard to take. Canadian Destroyers weren't so easy, either

Edited by LEGIT

14 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Tbh I think it's what used to make Wrestling great, everyone had a moveset that suited them, so each were different and that's how I think it should be.

Jim Brunzel had an incredible dropkick  by the way. The height he'd get was something else. 

Spot on. Everyone does the same thing these days. There is a dive to the outside on every show. A spot on the apron on every PPV. Nothing is special or has the same impact now.

The Canadian Destroyer mentioned above is a prime example. Loads of folk are doing it now so no-one really talks about it after a match where as Petey Williams made a name out of being the only guy that done it.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, ThumpSquids said:

All very simple moves to perform, provided a small amount of athletic ability and coordination.  

To do them well, i.e. at the right time, for the right reason, that's the tricky part. 

Yep, a rookie wrestler in Japan once told me he had a ton of moves (dropkick included) off to a tee in training but just couldn't use them when performing. He's better now but took ages to learn the timing side of things. 

• Paid Members
On 10/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, Michael_3165 said:

From my experience arm drags are a lot harder than they look.

Absolutely. Taking it well is hard enough, but performing a decent looking one is bloody difficult. A lot of it is down to the movement of the hips and excellent timing.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, Gus Mears said:

Did shows for a decade and they always looked dire. 

Woah hold up there, you did? Spill the beans Gus!

On 10/4/2019 at 1:19 PM, air_raid said:

Applying the Sharpshooter can be far more difficult than it looks.

I've seen so many get it wrong, it's certainly one of the more difficult of the well-known submission moves. I did it quite well, it's one of those moves where once you've got it, you've got it. Otherwise you just end up falling flat on your arse. Texas Cloverleaf is dead easy on the other hand- always loved using that as it looks good and feels very snug.

4 hours ago, LEGIT said:

Rock Bottoms are hard to take. 

Rock Bottoms are a piece of piss to take! There is very little for the person taking it to do compared to virtually every other slam/suplex move.

I found butterfly/underhook suplexes could be difficult compared to other suplexes as it really requires good work from the person taking it. If the timing is off, a sandbag is incoming and that plays havoc on your lower back. But once you have them up, the landing of the move is lovely. Easy to direct where to land if you turn your body into it, rather than the version where you fall back with it.

Bossman/Black Hole Slams are not only dead easy, but also one of the most fun moves you can perform. It's all momentum. 

I also found standard slams a bitch to do.When I started I was thin. Like really thin. People under estimate the amount of core strength needed to get people up for slams even if they take them properly. 

If done wrong spine busters are a bitch. I got headbutted in the face taking one when the guy giving leant into it and landed forehead on nose. Ouchies. 

Standing moonsaults were a piece of cake for someone my size but I saw some horrible looking ones when people turned into them side on style. 

I never understood why big guys try to do smaller guy type moves. Leapfrogs. Why?! Moonsaults. Jesus. Kick em in the fuckin face! 

90% off guys couldn't punch for shit. It always looked awful. I preferred forearms for that reason. My punches either had tonnes of air or knocked people flat. no middle ground.

Edited by Michael_3165

On 10/5/2019 at 8:34 AM, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Tbh I think it's what used to make Wrestling great, everyone had a moveset that suited them, so each were different and that's how I think it should be.

Jim Brunzel had an incredible dropkick  by the way. The height he'd get was something else. 

Nothing compared to Roma’s!

Does anybody actually know how the double stomp off the top works? Always one that I could never figure out. I've seen a lot of guys on the receiving end clasping their hands together almost like they're catching the feet. Alternatively I've seen some where it seems to land on a guys arm as opposed to their chest/stomach. But realistically I just can't see a way you can do this without crushing someone's ribs but there's clearly a way.

• Paid Members
On 10/8/2019 at 10:24 AM, lightningxlock said:

Does anybody actually know how the double stomp off the top works? Always one that I could never figure out. I've seen a lot of guys on the receiving end clasping their hands together almost like they're catching the feet. Alternatively I've seen some where it seems to land on a guys arm as opposed to their chest/stomach. But realistically I just can't see a way you can do this without crushing someone's ribs but there's clearly a way.

It’s basically shifting your body weight so that when you land you kinda glance off them rather than landing and putting your body weight through someone’s sternum.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:24 AM, lightningxlock said:

Balor leans back on his a lot, I've noticed so his feet almost skim over the guy taking it, as opposed to Davey Richards who seemed to trust that the guy taking it has a Titanium sternum (or face).