Clerks 3 is coming out!

IANdrewDiceClay

I really liked Chasing Amy, it felt like it had some genuine heart.  Like most people, I thought Clerks was cool when I was about 12.  

Apart from that, really NOT a fan.  Dogma I thought was just... awful.  He's a talented writer and speaker, but a very average director and poor actor.  Tarantino he is not.

It's maybe safe to say from what what most people have been posting that none of us are the target audience for anything Kevin Smith creates anymore. When we say "I loved his stuff back when I was a kid..." it's a safe bet that the people who were our age back then probably thought it was the drizzling shits.

His target audience is most likely the teenagers of the day, not us cynical, sensible, buttoned-down family men (and women) who'd rather rage about Brexit or regret wasting our time watching Raw than enjoy a movie for what it is with a smoke and a couple of beers.

26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah. His target audience is the same people who haven’t evolved since they were teenagers who loved his films. 

Then he's failing badly if he thinks that more than a fraction of the people who watched his movies back then will still find appeal in them now. Not to mention that any of that audience from back then who still find that kind of thing watchable are even willing to pay for it. 

Edited by David

I don’t think he really cares though. He makes his money from directing TV and doing his live shows which lets him just fuck around with making films these days. Hence why all his recent stuff has been weird shit or reboots/sequels. He doesn’t need the films to pay the mortgage. It’s just for fun for him now. it’s a shame as I reckon he still has a decent film left in him if he actually had to try and make a movie which could do some business rather than the vanity projects he does these days. 

On 10/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Absolutely Keith. Which is why it's ok to hate him and his loser fans. He has failed to grow as an artist due to his total lack of humility.

That lack of humility was apparent when he was banging on about Jersey Girl being his 'Annie Hall coming of age as a film maker film' only to be a slightly less juvenile version of his other stuff. He's the Mick Foley of film auterism. 

In case anyone accuses me of a Hannibalism I do have a soft spot for Jersey Girl but in a shit films I like way and it certainly wasn't the mark of his arrival as a mature film maker.