Recommend an underrated videogame

RedRooster

18 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I’ve just got Wolfanoz’s 3TB BigBox setup up and running on a custom PC. 60 systems, thousands of games and all setup to work using a controller. Superb it is, with every game having a gameplay video that plays on the right when you scroll through the massive carousel.

There’s loads of games mentioned I’m now itching to try on it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just seen a video on Youtube on this, looks so awesome. I might get one soon.

12 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

It's a ZX Spectrum game so you'll need an Emulator and a ROM and all that faf. Try and get a game called "Armageddon Man". You literally play God and you're trying to get all of these countries negotiating with each other or wars will start. You've got an atlas of the world in front of you and you see missiles coming over. It's a bit complicated to understand, it must have been well wacky for 87/88/89. It's great. It wasn't made by a major company.

Hang on! You sure it doesn't start of by asking "Shall we play a game?"

Edited by 5pints

The original Xbox had some very underrated games due to the huge ascendancy of the PS2.

One of the best, and one of the most underappreciated games I played, was Galleon (2004).

XBGalleon.jpg

It was designed by Toby Gard, who was one of the creators of Tomb Raider, and it came out at a time when platforming games were undergoing a bit of a renaissance thanks to the Prince of Persia reboot the year before.

This game took a very different, and as far as I can tell unique approach to the control system of navigating a 3d platforming world, and I found it completely awesome.  The story was great, funny script, decent voice acting and really cool cartoony graphics.

Some of the puzzles were brilliant, and there was an insane level where you shrank down to the size of a bug and then had to navigate the same level but tiny, which was something really special.

As with many Xbox games of course, it's almost impossible to play it.  I have my copy but with the 360 and Xbone not being properly backward compatible, it will remain on the shelf.  I did manage to persuade Emily from Bits to play it when I worked with her years later so there's that.   The other Emily, yes.

Maximo

41WJ2R6DPJL.jpg

Really fun hack and slash game that you don't really see talked about anywhere. You control the title character as he attempts to slay various skeletons and ghouls to return order to the world. I've spent countless hours playing and re-playing it over the years.

Here's a review from when it was released: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_maximo_ps2

My ma's just sent me a pic of some of my old computer games in her loft to ask if I still want them (for context, I'm thirty fucking eight. Of course I still want them) , and among them was an N64 game called Rakuga Kids that I'd completely forgotten till now. 2d beat em up, but with childishly drawn characters. I remember killing hundreds of drunk hours with it at uni, might have to give it a blast when I can get hold of it again and see how it holds up now. 

Edited by Philo_Vance

On 9/30/2019 at 9:18 PM, Mr_Danger said:

If this isn't a sarcastic suggestion it's a bad one. Never in a million years could it be classed as underrated whilst at the same it's incredibly difficult to go back and play. I got Vice City on my PS4 a couple of years ago and after the initial hit of nostalgia I got after hearing Flock of Seagulls play I haven't touched it again. I'm still tempted to try San Andreas again, get ripped and ride my bmx down some mountains.

For anyone interested Rockstar are promoting their PC platform by offering GTA San Andreas as a free game when you download the platform. For a GTA 3 replay I found the PSP Liberty City Stories worked really well on emulation. Sadly I deleted my save game in the last part of the game by moving folders around. Vice City Stories is a bit more glitchy as they really upped the graphics.

Not sure if it's underrated or just forgotten but Gun on the PS2 was an awesome game and really the true predecessor to the Red Dead series in a way as it was completely open world

• Paid Members
On 10/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, 5pints said:

Hang on! You sure it doesn't start of by asking "Shall we play a game?"

On that theme wargamers Defcon 1 on the PS1 was amazing in co-op. Me and a friend used to sink hours into it.

We put hours onto Rouge Trip 2012 too, but I've yet to meet anyone else who played it.

Edited by Tommy!