Recommend an underrated videogame

RedRooster

Echoing the love for Diddy Kong Racing. Tremendous fun with THREE choices of vehicle. The multiplayer battle mode was great fun too.

My pick - Rosco McQueen. Running around a burning building, chopping up robots with an axe and putting out fires. Slightly repetitive but an all round solid platformer. See also: Blasto and Gex 3D.

9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Top Ranking Tennis- Game Boy

One of my favourite Game Boy games and in terms of gameplay, one of the best tennis games I've played. It wasn't a fancy game, no licensed players whatsoever but it nailed the basics. Made the most of the different buttons for different shots before the other games were doing it. 

Top Ranking Tennis is agreat shout. Remember buying this game in America and it remained one of my go to Gameboy games, it was challenging and addictive. 

Games I think are underrated: 

Terminator - Dawn of Fate - based on the build up to the first Terminator film. Picked it up in a second hand shop for ÂŁ1.50 and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Shadow of Rome on PS2. A game begging for a remaster - the stealth bits are so-so, the gladiator sections are some of the most fun moments I've had in gaming. Any game where you can cut someone's arm off then beat them to death with it gets a hearty thumbs-up from me. 

An update now, with online multiplayer please Capcom. 

Edited by Grecian

19 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Top Ranking Tennis- Game Boy

One of my favourite Game Boy games and in terms of gameplay, one of the best tennis games I've played. It wasn't a fancy game, no licensed players whatsoever but it nailed the basics. Made the most of the different buttons for different shots before the other games were doing it. 

Brilliant. Remember beating the number one ranked guy (Johnny Tennis - what was his name?) and it felt like a genuine achievement. My brother and I both had copies so we would occasionally play two player over the cord thingy.

Freespace - not sure if I've mentioned it before, but it's pretty much the best game ever...

• Paid Members

Shadow of Rome is a great choice, I seem to remember it getting pretty much overshadowed by God of War at the time unfortunately.

Team Buddies (PS1) - Really fun strategy/shooter game, basic 'build a base and destroy the enemies base' gameplay but with a cartoony art style.

I-Ninja (PS2) - 3D platformer, seemed to be ignored compared to games like Jak and Daxter or Sly Cooper but I really liked it.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

The binding of Issac... Changes everytime you play it. I got it on my ps4 with PSPlus years ago.. I still play it now! 

Fantastic game but hardy 'underrated' considering the massive fanbase it has.

Amplitude for the PS2 is a brilliant Guitar Hero-precursor that utilizes a standard PS2 controller. It also has a much better aesthetic (you're a spaceship shooting tracks and beats) and a cracking mid-00's soundtrack.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Better than Gameboy Tennis that has Mario as the umpire?

GameBoy Tennis is fascinating as it has two game modes. One is just Mario characters playing tennis and tennis themed mini games and the other is an RPG where you're at a tennis academy and have to level up by attending tennis lessons and beating your classmates. It's about £3 on the 3DS eshop. Worth a look. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

18 hours ago, TheToeSucker said:

GTA 3

If this isn't a sarcastic suggestion it's a bad one. Never in a million years could it be classed as underrated whilst at the same it's incredibly difficult to go back and play. I got Vice City on my PS4 a couple of years ago and after the initial hit of nostalgia I got after hearing Flock of Seagulls play I haven't touched it again. I'm still tempted to try San Andreas again, get ripped and ride my bmx down some mountains.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I'm still tempted to try San Andreas again, get ripped and ride my bmx down some mountains.

Doing the Chiliad Challenge for fun does not compute!

But yeah, how on earth is GTA3 underrated?

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Shadow of Rome is a great choice, I seem to remember it getting pretty much overshadowed by God of War at the time unfortunately.

Team Buddies (PS1) - Really fun strategy/shooter game, basic 'build a base and destroy the enemies base' gameplay but with a cartoony art style.

I-Ninja (PS2) - 3D platformer, seemed to be ignored compared to games like Jak and Daxter or Sly Cooper but I really liked it.

OK, how did you find my house, and how were able to rifle through my games collection without me noticing?

All of those are excellent games. I've got a copy of Team Buddies in excellent condition - having completed it, not sure whether or not to hold on to it, as it's apparently quite rare and fetches a good price online.

One of my favourite underrated games is Mega-Lo-Mania. Best version was on the Amiga, but I've got a MegaDrive copy, and somebody made a clone app called GigaLoMania which is pretty much a direct copy, with the same gods and people, just different names. It's clear the maker was a fan, as he went and re-created the voice acting for the few spoken lines in it (which was big for the time of the original).

• Paid Members

I can vouch for Top Ranking Tennis being ace, but heed this warning: its a tough fucker. It caused me such frustration as a kid that I nutted my Game Boy and smashed the screen. I had to pretend to my parents that I'd dropped it from my bunk bed. 

Edited by gmoney