Recommend an underrated videogame

RedRooster

Ive been working through my video game backlog recently (which has really stacked up) and I’ve wound up playing some fantastic games that no one really/ever talks about.

And that’s what this thread is for. Games that haven’t quite got the recognition they deserve. 

Here are my picks:

Klaus (PS4/PC) - a creative 2D puzzle/platformer that has a fantastic story. I’m genuinely surprised that this one hasn’t got some kind of following, the few reviews I’ve seen of it have been pretty positive.

You play as Klaus, an office worker who wakes up with complete amnesia and no idea where he is. The story is based around finding out who you are and why you are where you are. The narrative is pretty excellent and the gameplay is just as strong.

I Am Setsuna (All current gen formats) - A PS1 era style JRPG. You’re on a cold, barren island which regularly deals with monsters. Every now and then, the people sacrifice a young woman to keep the monsters at bay.

Your party is journeying to take the victim, Setsuna, to be sacrificed. The world is very empty, and whether it’s purposeful or not it helps create a very isolated and gloomy atmosphere of a world that is struggling to exist. 

The story is fantastic, and the ending is actually pretty powerful. 

Now, over to you...

• Paid Members

Top Ranking Tennis- Game Boy

One of my favourite Game Boy games and in terms of gameplay, one of the best tennis games I've played. It wasn't a fancy game, no licensed players whatsoever but it nailed the basics. Made the most of the different buttons for different shots before the other games were doing it. 

42 All-Time Classics- Nintendo DS

Normally collection games are wank, but this is a wonderful array of card, board and table top games. I've been playing this for 12 years now! One of the kids lost the game card a year or so ago, so I bought one from Ebay for £2 last week and we've been having loads of fun playing local 3 player multiplayer. I'm the king of Sevens, Rummy and Turncoat.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

42 All-Time Classics- Nintendo DS

Normally collection games are wank, but this is a wonderful array of card, board and table top games. I've been playing this for 12 years now! One of the kids lost the game card a year or so ago, so I bought one from Ebay for £2 last week and we've been having loads of fun playing local 3 player multiplayer. I'm the king of Sevens, Rummy and Turncoat.

I'd put this as an essential purchase for DS owners. It's got loads of content, is a single card multiplayer, and it has a PM feature so you can abuse the other players or send them drawings of penguins on the beach (I come from a family of limited art skills).

Shufflepuck Cafe was the perfect 1-on-1 sports game, had a lovely sci-fi aesthetic with a great cast of opponents. It seemed to have enough of a cult following to get a very low key spiritual remake on Steam a few years back, didn't seem to sell well but it's got VR thingamajigs now!

• Paid Members

Headhunter. Metal Gear meets 24 meets Robocop. A cracking action game with some very cool ideas, in a Paul Verhoeven-inspired world. Shenpoo can get a remaster, but not this? Fuck off Sega, I hope you die, again.

007: Everything or Nothing. Quietly the best and most varied Bond game. Fun story and an amazing cast for a game, too.

John Woo's Stranglehold. A sequel to Hard Boiled. You get to play as Inspector Tequila shooting people in slow motion while sliding down bannisters, shooting people in slow motion while Superman-ing across rooms on top of food trolleys, shooting people in slow motion while swinging on chandeliers, and my personal favourite- shooting people in slow motion while sliding down a model T-Rex in a museum. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Did what it says on the tin, therapeutic AF!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Herzog Zwei on the Mega Drive or emulator of choice. You play as a transforming mech jet/tank and you build a base to face off against another base. There's tons of games like it now but back in the 90's me and my cousins were the only people in the world who played this, possibly because we used to ask other people if they'd ever played Herog 'Zooey'.

• Paid Members

not a massive gamer but i'll throw in this...

hqdefault.jpg

i remember seeing it reviewed in a gaming mag and getting a real high score, I got it soon after. Its a bit like an updated Micro Machines. Me and my mates played it into the ground, great fun in multiplayer, ive never known anyone else who actually played it though.