UFC Boston: Reyes vs Weidman - Oct 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh dear.

It's confusing because USADA apparently permits inhaler use. Nevertheless, Hardy really needs to work on his cardio. He was clearly tired at the end of the 2nd round, and despite his inhaler use between rounds, was also flagging in the final round. 

Elsewhere, I assume that Reyes will now fight Jones early next year. That was the performance he needed to earn himself a title shot. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, David said:

BT Not covering them all then?

The first couple of prelims are usually on Fight Pass over here. In this case, Boser vs Spitz and Allen vs Holland were on there. Then BT’s coverage kicked in with Brady vs McGee. 

This was another entertaining show, with one big exception for me. They’re on a good run at the moment. 

Like Jim said, Dominick Reyes put himself in prime position for the next shot at Jon Jones with this win. A win over Chris Weidman doesn’t mean quite as much as it once did, but it was still a first round finish over a former UFC champion. And that on top of an undefeated record is going to sound good in the promos. I don’t think he’s got much for Jones but he’s as deserving a challenger as there is at the moment. Then we’ve got Johnny Walker and Aleksandar Rakic both in fights before the end of the year so hopefully they both come through with wins. A 2020 with Jones defending against Reyes, Walker and Rakic would be refreshing. Sure, none of them are blockbusters but Jones’ big money matches with DC, Brock etc are dead in the water anyway. And if anyone’s going to test Jones in 2020, I think it might be one of these new breed guys. There’s also the potential rematch with Thiago Santos which I wouldn’t be at all against. And maybe even Rumble as there’s been some Jones/Rumble talk on Twitter recently. So for a division that’s long been considered shallow, things are looking pretty good for next year. Of course, that’s not accounting for any injury or USADA shaped monkey wrenches. 

As for Weidman, I don’t know. Just don’t know anymore. Maybe 205 wasn’t the right move for him. Or maybe it was and Reyes was just a bad matchup. He’s 1-5 in his last 6 but to be fair he’s fought nothing but killers. Whatever the case, he’s drowning now. Crazy to think that in 2015, Chris Weidman and Luke Rockhold were considered the future of 185/205. Now in 2019 they’re both pretty much done. 

Yair Rodriguez vs Jeremy Stephens 2 was the barnburner we should’ve got in Mexico a few weeks back. Loved this. In retrospect, I wish this was the main event and we got 5 rounds. Yair’s recent heel turn kind of made everyone forget how great he is to watch. We even had ‘USA’ chants like it was Hulk Hogan vs Sgt Slaughter in 1991! I was hoping Stephens would connect with a bomb and KO him but Yair was just too slick, outstruck him and did a good job of avoiding the KO shot. Don’t know how Stephens survived that body kick in the second. Hell of a fight. I’m hoping we get Yair vs the winner of Zabit/Kattar next. That should be a number one contender fight. And maybe do Stephens vs the loser of Zombie/Ortega.

Another Greg Hardy fight, another clusterfuck of controversy. Hardy is only 7 fights into his MMA career and already he’s got a loss by DQ on his record from throwing an illegal knee, and now a No Contest for using an inhaler between rounds. Whatever about the inhaler, this was a total mess regardless. Ugly shitshow of a fight. And I still don’t see it with Hardy. Hits hard, granted. What else? It’s all well and good talking about his athleticism but I don’t give a fuck about his time in the NFL. It’s got very little to do with his potential in MMA. When I see him gassed and breathing through his cockhole a round or so in, it just baffles me why anyone really rates him. And it’s not just because I don’t like him. I genuinely don’t see him as being anything more than a slugger with shit cardio. Also, I love DC but him trying to spin a woe is me story for Hardy, like he’s been through hell, was laughable. Like Hardy is a sympathetic figure. Get out. Just don’t get it with Hardy at all. He’s a prick, brings nothing but negative vibes and bad press to the UFC and his fights are shite if they go any length of time. 

Ben Fowlkes summed my feelings up on the whole thing; 

14-D73298-AC39-499-A-B44-F-83-EBC06-D434

Can’t we just let the Black Beast twat him out the door? 

Joe Lauzon absolutely mugging Jonathan Pearce in a round, in front of a rabid hometown crowd, was easily one of my favourite MMA moments this year. Watching veterans and legends fight in MMA and Boxing is all too often a sad and sobering experience. And we’ve had a few depressing examples of that over the last year or so. So it was great to see Lauzon get this moment. Reminded me of when he destroyed Gabe Ruediger in similar fashion on a Boston show years ago. Apparently he made a deal with Dana before the show that - win, lose or draw - he’d retire after this fight. He didn’t but Dana said he still wants him to. You couldn’t really argue with Lauzon if he wanted to fight on after a showing like this. But it’s hard to imagine a better way to go out for Lauzon than this.

Maycee Barber looked good putting Gillian Robertson away in a round. Don’t see many first round stoppages at Flyweight, from men or women. Kind of felt like the ref jumped in a bit fast though. Barber was unloading but Robertson was trying to block and fire back. Whatever. Good win for Barber. I honestly thought she was going to lose her O here. Dana’s was proper bigging Barber up at the press conference but I’m not 100% sold. She’s entertaining to watch but she’s reckless and has a habit of leaving her chin straight up in the air when she’s throwing shots. It almost cost her against JJ Aldrich earlier in the year but she got away with it. She might end up as a contender purely because Flyweight isn’t very deep. But she’ll get annihilated by Shev. Wouldn’t mind seeing that Barber vs Paige VanZant fight next. If Paige is actually ever going to fight again. 

Darren Stewart vs Deron Winn wasn’t the best way to kick off the main card. Had a feeling Winn would go wrestling heavy in this one but thought he was just too one-note and predictable and ultimately gassed himself out spamming takedowns, mostly without setups. It’s not like he never had any success with the takedowns but I was glad Stewart got the nod from the judges. Could’ve gone either way really but I had the Cockney Tyron Woodley edging it. 

Charles Rosa vs Manny Bermudez was over quick. I think I might’ve jinxed Bermudez. I’ve been saying for a while that I think he’s someone to keep an eye on and could do good things in the division. So he goes and misses weight and gets submitted in a round. Nice one. Rosa winning after all the layoffs and setbacks was nice to see though. 

Molly McCann put in probably her best showing yet in the UFC. One way traffic. Belbita came out pretty strong but McCann took over and that was that. At first glance Belbita looked like a bit of a prospect but I read yesterday that the 13 girls she’d beaten previously had a combined record of 9-15. So this was a big step up. Yeah, McCann bossed it. I actually had her winning 30-25. Had the second round 10-8 anyway but with the deducted point for Belbita’s fence grabbing it was 10-7 for me. Belbita is game though, to her credit, despite the padded record. She took a walloping here, especially in the second round, but she hung in there. McCann’s on a nice little run at the moment but I’d like to see her in with someone better next time. Maybe do McCann vs Barber actually.

Sean Woodson vs Kyle Bochniak was pretty good, I thought. Woodson had a strong performance and won the decision fairly comfortably. But Bochniak constantly coming forward meant the fight was always lively. Bochniak is so tough. How many of them knees did he eat? Woodson’s a funny looking fucker, isn’t he? Beanpole body, funny legs and his head is massive. He’s all out of proportion. 

E7170879-2-D9-A-41-C1-9-A49-D6109351-B75

Randy Costa vs Boston Salmon was short and sweet. Didn’t have any expectations going in but it was wild for 2 minutes. Costa is going to be fun to watch going forward. Although that maniac style won’t be as effective as he steps up in levels. Some exciting matchups to make with him at 135 though. Shame John Lineker isn’t about anymore. 

Really liked the look of Sean Brady. Didn’t get the finish but Court McGee is known to be tough and durable. Probably a more beneficial fight than a quick blowout would’ve been. Clocking up 15 minutes in the cage with an experienced guy like McGee will serve him well. He was clearly trying to just bomb McGee out early, and nearly did with that big left hook in the first, but he had to readjust when he realised McGee wasn’t going away. Good learning fight. A solid debut but I think there’s better to come from Brady. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 

Good show. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Weidman's decline is one of the sports sad stories. It's fairly conclusive now that he's done at the very top of the sport. He's someone that can probably do with a couple of lower ranked fights to get his swagger back but the UFC isn't into that.

I'm sure Jon Jones is pissing himself now that Rockhold and Weidman have got battered after making all that noise about fighting him.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:51 AM, wandshogun09 said:

And I still don’t see it with Hardy. Hits hard, granted. What else? It’s all well and good talking about his athleticism but I don’t give a fuck about his time in the NFL. It’s got very little to do with his potential in MMA. When I see him gassed and breathing through his cockhole a round or so in, it just baffles me why anyone really rates him.

The MMA community, both fans and promoters, have always had a massive erection over "stick and ball" athletes. Matt Mitrione is currently the object of a bidding war between One FC, the UFC and Bellator. Why are the UFC so desperate to re-sign a 41 year old fighter who was never that great to begin with? Because he used to play in the NFL and they think that will play well on ESPN. 

Of course, as I have written on here in the past, and many others have said before me, some of the most naturally gifted athletes aren't even cut out to be fighters. In Hardy's case, I do think he has some potential. However, as shit as the Heavyweight division is these days, he won't go far in it unless he improves his cardio.

• Paid Members

Hardy's career is a mess isn't it? Something mental always happens in a Hardy fight. I hope they bring back the Combat Wombat though purely because he looks like Meng.

The Weidman fight was a tad depressing. Him moving up to 205lb never really sat well with me, it seemed purely a move to find Jones a name opponent for the end of the year. I found it odd how no one really had any objections to it despite him losing 4 of his previous 5 going in. It was a simply a case of 'if he wins he gets Jones'. It was the exact same scenario when Rockhold made the move up.

Reyes just mopped the floor with him though. Jones/Reyes is a no brainer now, especially as everyone else is tied up.