CM Punk returning to WWE?

Supremo

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Pinc said:

Do you think the pop for Bret's return to Raw in 2010 would've been as big if he'd spent the preceding few months as a talking head on WWE Experience? How about Austin in 2002?

I mean, Bret did do a DVD retrospective and the Hall of Fame and the odd talking heads documentary with them before he appeared on Raw.

And Austin’s walkout lasted less time than when he was away with an injury in 2000 so I don’t know if that’s comparable either.

• Paid Members

It’d be good for a pop if his music kicked in unannounced on a random episode of Raw without the company ruining it on their website or Twitter that he’d signed. Unless that Raw was in Chicago in which case they’d definitely announce it.

Of course, the loudest cheers would be from the biggest hypocrites, who espouse the integrity of the man for “sticking it to the E” and saying he was “never” coming back.

• Paid Members

It'd certainly be odd watching him presenting a WWE recap show on Fox. There's no doubting he's got the ability to do it. If Heyman can manage to finagle an actual return to the ring on Raw (draft permitting) there are some good potential matches he could have, some of which would be fresh to WWE eyes: AJ Styles, Joe, Daniel Bryan, Nakamura, Cesaro, Owens, Sami Zayn, Rollins, Gable, Balor, dare I say Rusev? 

If they wanted to get meta they could insert him into the Maria Kanellis pregnancy/paternity angle. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, TheToeSucker said:

No, god no, don't put Punk into that shitshow storyline with Mike.

It's be the kind of thing Vince would mandate as some kind of "penance". I reckon they'd have some entertaining matches, then eventually he'd find himself going 50/50 with Ziggler, Miz or Corbin week in week out. 

Bollocks to the Rollins match. Pitch him as the returning messiah, here to save us from the Roman era. They'd tear the house down in a WrestleMania main event, both sets of fans backing their guy. The whole "everyone's a tweener, it's reality!" cop out would be white hot for a change. Punk's agitated jerk to Roman's Cool Hand Luke.

(It's going to be a street fight with Shane McMahon.) 

Small update on the Punk situation from Dave today on Observer Radio. He mentions that the impression he was given is that Punk’s tryout went well and that it is likely he’ll get an offer to work on the WWE Backstage show.

Dave mentions that it would be FOX hiring him and not WWE, although many he has talked to speculate Punk would like to get a “Lesnar or Goldberg” type deal to come back and wrestle. He also says that he doesn’t think FOX would hire Punk if WWE was against it.

Final note, he says that after the ESPN interview a few months ago where Punk criticized AEW for mentioning him, AEW people told Dave they’d “never work with him”. Dave notes that the full story of what happened makes that stance understandable, but did not go into detail on what the full story is.

11 hours ago, Ralphy said:

i would like to see this, i loved his commentary when he did it for that short time on RAW, he seems to be very articulate, and funny and it would bring lots of eyes back to the product. Since this deal is worth so much money i think it would be a good idea to get punk back, and a realistic way since he could potentially still do other things such as films, comic books etc 

Him and Michael Cole on NXT is the pinnacle of commentary this century for me.

How fucking anticlimactic though if after years out of the biz, when still young enough to be a major in-ring star and pop some serious buyrates as a main eventer, CM Punk were to return to sit next to Booker T and offer opinions on "illegal tactics"?

That's like Hogan returning to WWE in 2001 to host Sunday Night Heat.

• Paid Members

Sounds like they (through the medium of their official fanboy Dave) are just saying that to save face. AEW bringing Punk in is the most logical step for them to generate more buzz than they can hope whilst at the same time bringing in somebody perfectly suited for them. There's no way Tony Khan hasn't been doing what he can to bring him in.