Is pro wrestling an under-appreciated or an over-appreciated art form?

Maikeru

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Richard said:

what's the problem?

Probably your lack of self awareness. Using big words to cover up a basic unintelligent opinion, describing your personal voyage and bragging about a sociology(!) degree isn't exactly going to endear you to people or lead to any interesting forum discussion. 

Edited by LaGoosh

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I have a degree in sociology but appreciate the tip. 

Some of you lot belong back under the tent flaps with the palm readers. 

28, happily engaged, moonlighting what I'd call a fairly successful and sociable adult life thus far. I retain a large part of my interest in wrestling watching through a lense of nostalgia, no doubt, but I also keep my eye on the ball with current events. It's mostly garbage but once or twice a year something will genuinely get a reaction out of me. It's good fun following all this stuff, still. Drawing boxes around me yet? 

I kind of get your initial point. I saw a grown man in a Marvel shirt the other day which simply had the release dates of all the upcoming movies printed on it. Got me wondering. Then you snap back into the real world and realise the nerds have won. Plenty of them are married. There's a generation of kids on the way whose parents met dressed funny at conventions. Whatever gets you going. It's no more real or bullshit than dancing with her and getting the feels in a local for the first time, trapped inside that tune by the Farm. 

The Russel Brand post dismissing comparisons between EastEnders and wrestling killed me, though. I think I even want to read more on it. Not that I'm emotionally invested or anything. 

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Dancing is socially acceptable. Strictly is shit, but pro-wrestling is worse.

Dancing is quite clearly a respected art form that stretches back centuries and is a pillar of not only western civilization but the entire world. It transcends language. 

Pro-wrestling is gutter entertainment to be honest. It's embarrassing.

Anyone that extracts any kind of emotional attachment to wrestling after a certain age hasn't lived. If you've gone through addictions, broken relationships, lost loved ones and been laid off work, you can take pro-wrestling or leave it. 

If wrestling is that embarrassing and from the gutter why do you watch? Genuine Q. 

Are you honestly suggesting that the popularity of something and the perception of it by the majority takes away from the art of it? 

Also does having break ups etc prevent you from having aan emotional response to good wrestling? It's not a binary either-or. You surely can have shit happen in life and still be invested in something 'less' important? If not then your 'living' sounds mighty dull to me. 

Unsure why there is even an argument here. Sounds like you are spoiling for one but just want to get why you think as you do. If you are looking ffor intellectual debate I'd kindly go elsewhere. 

As for the degree. Good for you. You won't cure cancer or save the economy but its nice nonetheless. Anyone who shuffles paper for a living shouldn't have a pop about it! That said your turn of phrase aand general superiority complex is interesting. Unsure where that comes from and may be something to reflect on and check those books. It will get people's backs up. 

Respectfully obv. 

Edited by Michael_3165

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's okay.  @Gay as FOOK no-one asked for your life story. 

8 hours ago, Richard said:

My own personal voyage has gravitated towards creating a family.

Probably is your lack of self awareness, yeah. 

If you take your head out of your arse, I think my post had a sort of ongoing theme of responding to your original argument. Not sure would it stand up to a thesis, but the general gist of it was "we're all different, fuck off". My research for this cack-handed argument hinges on the fact that I have a life and I still get some sort of emotional draw from 'rasslin. 

It's probably not a good idea to use the whole having a life thing in your opening gambit if you don't want to hear someone's life story. Then again it's probably an even worse idea to go and get a degree in sociology. 

Is this the first time this week you've gotten to introduce it in a conversation? 

OT, wrestling, just like any other performance type, is a skill that can be learned and perfected. It is an art form, but not all wrestling is a work of art. I'd argue true art fuses technical skill, wider message or interpretation, and personal creativity, so certainly a great match can cover two of those three. A wrestling character might capture the zeitgeist once in a blue moon, but I don't think any wrestling has had anything to say or pushed new themes and ideas into the limelight, whether that be due to its inherent nicheness or simply not being an appropriate platform because of its foundation of resolution through (simulated) physical violence.

But it is fun, though. A great match blends physical athletic spectacle with broad emotional human drama. Great works of art, but not to change the world as great art can.