Is pro wrestling an under-appreciated or an over-appreciated art form?

Maikeru

How anyone finds Strictly Come Dancing entertaining is beyond me. But admittedly a much larger proportion of the population would struggle to understand what I see in wrestling than would question my mum's love of Strictly.

There are likely less than ten million people worldwide watching wrestling regularly. Should the industry be thankful that there are that many people willing to suspend disbelief for a fake sport? Or is the level of talent and sacrifice required from performers compared with other forms of arts and entertainment such that it's a travesty more people don't appreciate it? 

Dancing is socially acceptable. Strictly is shit, but pro-wrestling is worse.

Dancing is quite clearly a respected art form that stretches back centuries and is a pillar of not only western civilization but the entire world. It transcends language. 

Pro-wrestling is gutter entertainment to be honest. It's embarrassing.

Anyone that extracts any kind of emotional attachment to wrestling after a certain age hasn't lived. If you've gone through addictions, broken relationships, lost loved ones and been laid off work, you can take pro-wrestling or leave it. 

Edited by Richard

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Richard said:

Anyone that extracts any kind of emotional attachment to wrestling after a certain age hasn't lived. If you've gone through addictions, broken relationships, lost loved ones and been laid off work, you can take pro-wrestling or leave it. 

Or it can be an escapism from all that. Which is generally is to millions of people.

3 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Or it can be an escapism from all that. Which is generally is to millions of people.

I agree with you to an extent, but I wouldn't plan my entire life around it. My own personal voyage has gravitated towards creating a family. I'm not prodding anyone that has been depressed and has found solace in their youth, that's fine. But I wouldn't measure my existence on what New Jack thought of Paul Heyman in 1999. Pro-Wrestling shouldn't be an extension of your existence past a certain age. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Pro-Wrestling shouldn't be an extension of your existence past a certain age. 

Same goes for being a fan of any other entertainment. Nothing you're not actively participating in should be the defining part of your identity otherwise you're a spectator in your own life. That goes for people who follow bands around on tour, full kit wankers, obsessive wrestling fans, etc. It's all the same.

But you can still enjoy all of those things reasonably and with some perspective.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

30 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Same goes for being a fan of any other entertainment. Nothing you're not actively participating in should be the defining part of your identity otherwise you're a spectator in your own life. That goes for people who follow bands around on tour, full kit wankers, obsessive wrestling fans, etc. It's all the same.

But you can still enjoy all of those things reasonably and with some perspective.

Well that's a sociological topic, then. 

If you can't differentiate between high culture and pro-wrestling, then I don't know what to tell you.

Entertainment isn't arbitrary, and boiling entertainment down to hollow ''subjectivity'' sheds away the cultural and societal norms.

Pro-Wrestling leans into societal anomalies. Equating Football on a Saturday to pro-wrestling isn't fair, and it's disingenuous to think so.

I'm not fully sold on the idea that liberalism has no standards, and what is acceptance will progressively become the norm.

Watching Eastenders and watching Monday Night Raw aren't the same.

Edited by Richard