Where were you for...

Gus Mears

Diana: remember my sister absolutely fuming as her birthday is September 1st and it was basically cancelled.

My mum was the type that had a VHS of the funeral with DIANAS FUNERAL DO NOT DELETE scrawled on it.

I remember it being sad, but I wasn’t overly fussed. Not like I was with Dermot Morgan a few months later.

9/11 was at the height of my Rage Against The Machine listening/Michael Moore reading phase and as my Philosophy teacher (who happened to be American) told us, I blurted out “Well that’s what you get when you have a foreign policy like that” what a little cunt. I would’ve hit me.

I then proceeded to tell everyone that it was definitely Bin Laden, I don’t even know how I would’ve known about him at that stage in my life, but I clearly remember this as I felt kind of vindicated when I got home later and he was all over the news. Again, what a little cunt.

• Paid Members

For the Diana thing, I remember being encouraged by my mum to sign some sort of condolence book in Tesco in Littlehampton. I had to queue for it then write a message. What the fuck was all that about? Where did that get sent to?

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

Diana died on my mum's birthday but as we were regular folk we just passed it off as "Oh that's sad" and carried on with the day. Reading some of the stories on here, I'm glad my parents weren't royalists who spent the whole day sobbing and kicking down doors to make sure their kids were okay with the news. Christ, I was 9 at the time and had no idea who she even was.

My Nan and aunts took it did the whole grieving thing though. I went round my Nan's house on the day of the funeral and the place was eerily quiet. I remember being sat at the kitchen table, playing with a Captain Scarlet 'Create Your Own Scene' sticker set, and my Nan gave me a telling off for putting an explosion sticker over a car sticker.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

9/11 I was working at eurotunnel as the planes hit. I used to work on the security side of things xraying lorries. Within hours our search rate had gone to 100 percent and we had armed police with is at all times. 

It stayed like that for my whole shift, was very happy to be going home that day. 

9/11 I was in school. I think we were told in class, but I don't think I had a clue what WTC was, or how massive an event it was until I got home and saw coverage, reports etc.

Diana - my sister and me were staying at my dad's the Saturday night, she woke me up Sunday morning to tell me. I could not have cared less but I think I probably pretended to be sad about it.

• Paid Members

9/11 - I was living in York at the time, working in an internet cafe (which dates it as much as anything else). I'd gone out to drop some leaflets in hotels, so spent quite a bit of it watching in a hotel lobby. Spent the rest of the day checking what was happening via news sites and a wrestling forum I was on at the time. It was the first time I remember following a breaking story like that. I was texted my first joke about it about 3 hours later by my girlfriend's dad.

7/7 - I was back in Yorkshire, working in a call centre in Tadcaster of all places (we'd moved in with my girlfriend's family for a bit to save money for our wedding). I was worried because we had friends in London. There was one really obnoxious woman that started laughing and joking and talking about how she hated Londoners. I had to leave the building for a while because I was about to lose my temper with her.

• Paid Members

9/11, I was walking home from school. Some woman was on the phone in her front yard when I was walking past saying something like, “Yeah, they’ve been hit”. It wasn’t until I got home and my mum had the live coverage on TV that I realised.

Diana, I can’t really remember. I can remember around the time, knowing who she was, but I can’t remember exactly where I was or what I was doing when I learned the news.

• Paid Members

For 9/11 I was at home and was probably playing on the computer as the TV wasn't on. My mum rang and told me what had happened and that I was to turn the TV on. I then sat watching it for the next few hours as all the new pieces of footage came to light.

With Diana, I know I was in work that day and for some reason I saw my older sister beforehand.

"Have you heard about Princess Diana crashing her car inside a tunnel in Paris and dying?", she asked.

"No......", I replied, waiting for a punchline. 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, Grecian said:

Diana - I was 17 and had no idea what happened until about 2 the following afternoon. I'd happily stay in bed for hours and hours, my parents generally left me alone to do so. Didn't even turn the radio on, I only found out when I went downstairs for some toast and my dad just said 'Diana's dead'. I didn't even know who he meant until he told me the princess and called me a dozy twat.

9/11 - I was 21, just finished uni and working in a shop. We had local radio on who interrupted the live music with continual news bulletins and sad music. Didn't see the footage until I got home at around half six, then watched the news for the rest of the night.

7-7 - I was having a job interview to join the civil service. When it was over and I got home, it was all over the news. My wife was distraught, she's from north London and knew one of the victims.

The first big news story I remember really affecting me was Hillsborough. Mainly because a load of my mates were Liverpool fans (you know, being the local team for all Devonians) and seeing the live footage, the pictures in the papers the following days of all these people being crushed was horrific.

“...It was a very good year”