Where were you for...

Gus Mears

40 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I was on a bus coming home with a few mates. It was my first day of college, and a lad from school said "a plane flew into the World Trade Centre." I'll always consider 9/11 and MECW promoted by John Collins and booked by the Sandman as two events I vividly remember from September 2001, because I was reading a review of it in Power Slam as I was on the bus home.

I'm assuming Fin Martin was highly critical of the two high spots at the start followed by all the real workers getting squashed formula.

• Paid Members

When the Manchester Arena bombing happened I'd been to see Soulwax on the other side of town at the Ritz. I'd heard something as I was on my way to bed but around the time the police weren't giving many details at the time I just went to bed. The morning after I woke up to messages and Facebook posts from friends and family who'd seen that I was at a gig the night before and assumed I was at that gig. 

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I also remember where I was when I heard Princess Diana died. I was staying with my Dad that weekend and he was setting up a game of Monopoly when he put teletext on and went: 'Oh, Diana's dead. Do you want to be the top hat?" before immediately switching over to Live and Kicking

Not sure if it's one too many chairshots to the head but news of Diana's death broke on Sunday morning. Live and Kicking aired on Saturdays 🤔

Unless you were watching your Emma Forbes faptape. 

I just looked this up to be sure and I was mortified to read Diana was 36 when she died. 36! I feel positively ancient. 

During the World Trade Centre attack I'd been wandering around Sainsbury's Southend on my lunch break. As I came back to the office the friendly conspiracy nut was at the door and stopped me with a "hey! Some planes have been crashed into buildings in New York. It's fucking crazy man!" Being the conspiracy weirdo I gave him an "uh-huh" until I got upstairs and realised he was mostly correct. I was working at an ISP and we were hammering the BBC News website, which I distinctly remember loading a single image with a small paragraph underneath in about five minutes. 

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

9/11 and Diana are the two stand out moments.

For 9/11 I was at home getting ready for an evening shift working at Sainsbury's. Saw it on the telly and then at work we were all sat in the staff room watching further events unfold. Remember that evening vividly. For 7/7 I was in Alton Towers. Mad to think that if it happened today, I'd be directly impacted given where I work.

As for Diana, I was on my paper-round when somebody told me. I instantly didn't believe it because in the days/weeks/months leading up to her death, she was in the press like you wouldn't believe. I've never seen so much media attention on one person over a similar timeframe in my life (Beckham comes closest, but he is still distant). As I saw the front page of every newspaper every morning, you could guarantee she was on the cover of at least one of them. The media were absolutely fucking relentless- pics of her and Dodi on boats, doing this, doing that- you couldn't move for Diana stories and features. What a load of absolute privacy-destroying wankers.

I was in the clubhouse at Seashore Haven holiday camp in Great Yarmouth when Arsenal beat Everton 4-0 in '98 to win the league.

I'm devastated Gus got in there before me with the @Thunderplexjokes. That's ruined my afternoon now. Was gonna go with VE Day, but Archduke Franz Ferdinand tops it.

Edit: Oh, and I was in my living room, intently watching things unfold on BBC News 24 when Raul Moat was on the run. The Gazza run-in is still the greatest live news plot twist I've ever witnessed.

Mmm, oddly I was also doing a paper round on the Diana day. We probably had rival rounds. I was Martin’s at Staple Tye. I remember being really fucked off that they not only cancelled the Athletics meeting I was supposed to be doing they also cancelled Liverpool vs Blackburn I think, was looking forward to that as a back up to the athletics. 

9/11 I’d woken up after doing a night shift at Tesco, turned the telly on and saw the second plane hitting the tower. All very surreal to this day. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Rapey Eyes said:

Mmm, oddly I was also doing a paper round on the Diana day. We probably had rival rounds. I was Martin’s at Staple Tye.

Alas no, I grew up in Hoddesdon. I have just driven past the very same Martin's, though. 

I was in a business studies lesson during 7/7. The teacher stopped the lesson halfway through to inform everyone. 

I was at my cousins house during 9/11. I'd pretended to be ill that morning to get the day off school so mum dragged me round to my cousins house as she had planned to go there that day anyway. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I remember the Boston bombing being one of the first breaking news stories of that magnitude that I was following live as it unfolded in the age of social media, Reddit and of course on here with neil as our man on the ground. Seemed like such a dramatically different way to experience something like that than just having to rely on 'proper' news.

The first major [mass killing/terrorism] event that happened on live rolling 24-hour news was Columbine. I was in my first year of uni in Liverpool and was glued to it. As I was studying journalism at the time, I used Columbine/Marilyn Manson as part of my dissertation into the mainstream media blaming alternative culture for deviant behaviour. Sky News sent me some of their footage when I was in my 3rd year so I could use it as a reference and I visited the Kerrang archives as well. I also used other case studies such as the West Memphis 3, the Judas Priest court case, and a few others thrown in, but this was the first to happen in the ‘internet’ age.

For Diana’s death :

My mother knocked on my bedroom door early on that Sunday morning in late August 97 and asked if she could come in for a chat !!!

I literally had my first wank ever hours previously and thought it was about that.

It was a real mixed bag of emotion when she told me Diana had died . I think I let out an audible exhale of relief when she told me that Di was toast which must have confused the hell out of her !!

Edited by RancidPunx