Things you were led to believe were Important.

gmoney

• Paid Members

My old DT teacher explained to us all that Records of Achievement were practically a waste of time, and if you had any sort of aptitude for learning or motivation to 'get on' you'd never have to use them. 

He then informed us that 'people like... ' and rattled off names of the thick kids in our year will probably need them as a weak form of CV to get work upon the end of their educational days. 

Hand writing, although ideally it has to be legible to some extent, I remember the fucking time spent even at secondary school writing fucking bollocks. I remember in primary school we had to write our own summary version of some Greek myth (it was definitely a shit one) for display on the wall and my teacher was so furious with the state of my handwriting she intended to make me come back at break time to redo it. From memory I hadn't been lazy but my dyspraxia hadn't been diagnosed yet. I can remember she shouted all this to me in class and even now when I feel backed into a corner I can get snappy at people. The dialogue went something like "How are you going to get a good job when you're older if you can't write nicely" and I spat out something like "I won't need to i'll use a computer". This was in a village in 1993 so of course the old 60 year old cow laughed at me. Part of me hopes she is still alive and thinks about all the gadgets and computers she see's every day and how that blonde haired boy must be using the computer to not do his job but to procrastinate on a wrestling forum!

I always think about that when my students have trouble using a keyboard and mouse as they can do the same tasks on a tablet much easier so I try not to make them feel shit that they can't use something.

I had that exact same conversation in my primary school and now I'm a postman who on more than one occasion been called in to the callers office to translate the notes I've left for customers explaining where I've left their parcels. Poor hand writing, top parcel hiding.

• Moderators

Protecting your identity. Since running my own business and having my details plastered all over the internet thanks to companies house I get attempts to defraud me a couple times a year. Thankfully it's such a prevalent problem these days that organisations have pretty decent processes in place and it's very difficult for you to actually lose out in a way that is un-recoupable unless you've been really negligent in protecting your information (e.g. giving out your PIN levels of negligence and stupidity). It's a weird sense of fragile security and comfort but I'll take it.

• Paid Members

I began to realise no employer really cared about GCSEs the more and more vague I got. My first application I listed each one and my result, then grouped them, then just said “10 GCSEs”, then just omitted the line altogether. Not once was I asked, “So, what grades did you get?” My takeaway is, those grades were used in higher education.

When I started college, I started the first year of my course, but others who didn’t get a ‘C’ grade of above in maths, English and science had to a do a foundation year where they pretty much re-sat those GCSEs as they were “key skills”, so were effectively held back a year.

8 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

He then informed us that 'people like... ' and rattled off names of the thick kids in our year will probably need them as a weak form of CV to get work upon the end of their educational days. 

Did you all end up as coppers?

• Paid Members

I took my record of achievement on my early job interviews. I stopped after I offered it to one potential employer to look at and he laughed at me. Never got the job, obviously. A shame, I might still be installing tills to this day. His loss, I think. He'll never know that I'm proficient at cycling and I attended the Bobby Charlton soccer school. 

Hand writing and maths though? Come on people. Have some pride. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I took my record of achievement on my early job interviews. I stopped after I offered it to one potential employer to look at and he laughed at me. Never got the job, obviously. A shame, I might still be installing tills to this day. His loss, I think. He'll never know that I'm proficient at cycling and I attended the Bobby Charlton soccer school. 

Hand writing and maths though? Come on people. Have some pride. 

Good hand writing is for losers who cant type quickly. Everyone knows that