Sign in to follow this  
wandshogun09

UFC Tampa: Jedrzejczyk vs Waterson - Oct 12 🇺🇸

Who wins and how?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On Saturday 12th October the Octagon descends on Tampa, Florida with this beauty...

70-E10-C6-C-2-DC5-4737-92-E7-C98-CA43573

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Michelle Waterson 

Cub Swanson vs Kron Gracie 

Ryan Spann vs Devin Clark 

JJ Aldrich vs Lauren Mueller

Mackenzie Dern vs Amanda Ribas 

Max Griffin vs Alex Morono

ESPN+ PRELIMS
James Vick vs Niko Price 

Luis Peña vs Matt Frevola

Eryk Anders vs Gerald Meerschaert 

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Tim Elliott 

Brok Weaver vs Thomas Gifford 

Hector Aldana vs Miguel Baeza 

Marlon Vera vs Andre Ewell

Marvin Vettori vs Andrew Sanchez 

I like that. Some of the prelims are a bit cack but there’s a good 4 or 5 fights there that I’m looking forward to and a couple of interesting debuts from the Contender Series guys. Overall this is a better card than UFC 243 for me. This lot as an undercard for Whittaker vs Adesanya would’ve been ace. Oh well. 

13-DE7-C8-E-A2-F0-47-BA-BA87-49-EAAAB7-B

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Michelle Waterson headlines. Really like this fight. They’ve both been two of my favourite women fighters to watch over the years so it’ll be cool to see them face each other. Jedrzejczyk is back at Strawweight for this one. She went up to 125lbs to challenge Valentina Shevchenko for the Flyweight Title in December but lost a clear decision. 115lbs is where she ruled anyway. She was a dominant champion at Strawweight beating the likes of Jessica Andrade, Karolina Kowalkiewicz, Cláudia Gadelha twice and Carla Esparza. The only blemishes on her Strawweight record are the two losses to Rose Namajunas. Waterson is one of the more experienced women in the game. She’s been around since before the Rousey era when women’s MMA blew up. She’s 17-6 now, former Invicta Atomweight champ and comes into this fight off 3 consecutive wins. With Rose off the scene at the moment and Andrade coming off getting smashed by Weili Zhang in China, the division is wide open and this fight could well determine the next challenger for Zhang’s newly won belt.

A2066-BC6-1-A1-A-4-ABC-80-AA-F20-EA96906

Cub Swanson vs Kron Gracie is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** and a fight I absolutely love the sound of. Swanson is 35 years old now and has had a long career full of hard fights. He’s in a tough spot in his career now, having lost 4 fights on the trot. So this is a real must win situation for him. He’s a dangerous guy though and I wouldn’t write him off just yet. Gracie is obviously the new kid on the block but being the son of the legendary Rickson Gracie brings its own pressure that he’s had to deal with all his life. Kron, as you’d expect from a Gracie, is a top class grappler and BJJ black-belt. He’s also 5-0 so far in MMA with 5 submissions, 4 inside a round. He tapped out Bruce Leroy in his UFC debut in February. This is a big step up for Gracie but a logical one. And while Cub’s coming off 4 losses, they were at a high level. He’s been in with the likes of Holloway, Aldo, Edgar, Ortega, Poirier etc. He’s got a massive edge in terms of the level of opposition he’s faced. But it’s a double-edged sword as, in gaining that experience, he’s taken a lot of damage over the years in those battles. Fascinating matchup. 

93-CAD737-2610-45-FE-BD7-D-2-F852-DB78-B

Ryan Spann vs Devin Clark is a clash of two of the lesser talked about 205ers. Decent fight though. Spann is 28 years old, a good sized LHW at 6’5” and has a 16-5 record with 14 finishes. He notched the biggest win of his career on the UFC 237 undercard in May, knocking out Antonio Rogério Nogueira in about 2 minutes. Clark is 29 with a 10-3 record. I mostly remember him as the guy who was giving Aleksandar Rakic problems early in their fight before Rakic turned it around. I expect Spann to win here but I think it’ll be alright while it lasts. 

5-AAADB9-E-82-B9-455-A-9267-5788-A44-EEE

Mackenzie Dern vs Amanda Ribas will be worth a look. Dern came into MMA with a fair bit of hype due to her looks and her BJJ credentials. In that order. She’s a black-belt and has all sorts of gold medals from her time competing in the ADCC and World Jiu-Jitsu Championships. She made the jump to MMA in 2016, went 5-0 and the UFC signed her up. She barely beat Ashley Yoder in a crappy fight in her UFC debut but subbed Amanda Cooper in impressive fashion in the first round in her next fight. So 7-0 now. She’s recently had a baby, so that’s why she’s been out for a while. But she’s back now. Although, she’s missed weight a few times already. Can only imagine that’s going to be harder now she’s had a baby. Ribas is Brazilian, 7-1 with 6 finishes. Don’t know much about her but she’s got to be the toughest test for Dern to date on paper.

7-ECB8-C35-24-FD-4772-A36-A-89688916-AB2

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Tim Elliott should be an all-action Flyweight tussle. I really like this fight actually. Figueiredo is one of the more exciting 125lbers on the roster for me. His striking is vicious. He’s 16-1 with the only loss coming against Jussier Formiga. And Elliott is a handful at the best of times. He’s been in and out of the UFC and has mostly lost whenever he’s stepped up to the elite level but he did give Mighty Mouse probably his hardest defence during his reign as UFC champion. Good fight. 

306-EBC65-75-E8-4-DCA-ABC0-5-AAA0-C19-F2

James Vick vs Niko Price should be all kinds of chaos. Looking forward to this one a lot. Vick is coming off 3 losses on the bounce so there’s always a chance he tries to fight safe. And I wouldn’t blame him. But I’m not sure it’s possible to fight safe against Niko Price. The man’s a maniac. Lost to Geoff Neal in his last fight but Price is so wild and great to watch win or lose. This should be no different. 

E9-C4-F857-AAAA-440-A-AD11-D82-F87-A8722

Erm...Brok Weaver vs Thomas Gifford then. Just look at these two. It’s like a Poundland Gene Simmons vs Garth from Wayne’s World. From what I’m reading Weaver was on Dana’s Contender Series, he’s 27 years old and has a 13-4 record. Has a win over Charles ‘Krazy Horse’ Bennett which I might have to look for a video of. Apparently he’s got quite a personality and stole the show with an interview or something on DWCS that won Dana over. Gifford is 14-8-0-2 and nearly all his wins were by submission. Lost his Octagon debut to Roosevelt Roberts in April but I rate Roberts. Strangely intrigued to see this fight now. 

5793-E55-C-2901-4-DD7-AE62-EC569-BEDC29-

Hector Aldana vs Miguel Baeza is a battle of unknowns for me. Aldana is 4-2, has fought in the UFC before and has lost his last 3 fights. Baeza is another DWCS guy, unbeaten at 7-0 and nicknamed ‘Caramel Thunder’. Yeah. Seems like they’re setting old Hector up for a twatting doesn’t it? ‘Caramel Thunder’ though. 

0-D9-D6025-5-F96-47-C8-AF53-55-C75-FCA85

JJ Aldrich vs Lauren Mueller is a fight I’m not fussed about. Aldrich is 7-3, training partner of Thug Rose. Lost to Maycee Barber last time out but had Barber in some bother and nearly ended the hype train. Mueller is 5-2 and I think she was on TUF at some point or other. Meh. 

51-E2-EC05-E2-BE-40-EE-8-F3-E-739283-C07

Max Griffin vs Alex Morono might be decent. Griffin had a cracking hidden gem against Thiago Alves on one of the undercards early this year. Real good fight. He also has a win over Mike Perry. He’s 15-6 now. Morono I’m less familiar with. He’s been about a while though. 16-5-1 record and coming off a couple of wins. 

1902-D16-F-B555-4-A2-E-A593-D9705-CC887-

Eryk Anders vs Gerald Meerschaert could be a bit of a darkhorse one to watch. Anders is 12-4, a heavy hitter, tough guy, former football player. His record is slightly misleading, IMO. I had him winning against both Lyoto Machida and Elias Theodorou. Meerschaert is no title contender but he can be a tricky customer. Trains out of Roufusport, BJJ black-belt, experienced at 29-11. Solid matchup here. 

F8878-E38-BF80-4-D7-B-ACC0-F757-ABA40-E9

Luis Peña vs Matt Frevola could be good prelim fodder. Peña isn’t bad. He was on TUF a while ago, 7-1 record and just battered the returning Matt Wiman in May. At 6’3”, he’s a massive 155er. I haven’t seen much of Frevola but he’s a Serra-Longo guy, 7-1-1, took Lando Vannata to a draw and beat Jalin Turner in his last fight. 

00633-E0-F-960-E-41-D5-84-BE-36-DC7-E74-

Marlon Vera vs Andre Ewell is another one that might be alright but I’m not really bothered about. Vera is usually pretty good to watch, to be fair. He’s 14-5-1 and riding a 4 fight win-streak. Had a good scrap with John Lineker, retired Brad Pickett etc. He’s not bad. I think I’ve only seen Ewell twice. I saw him beat Renan Barao in his debut and I saw Nathaniel Wood submit him. 

And that’s UFC Tampa. 

BB56-B1-EB-8-F2-C-4415-8-DC6-ABEEC7-F6-B

Edited by wandshogun09

Weaver was on Helwani's show a week or two ago, it got me interested in him. Hes a big pro wrestling fan and mixed abit of that pagentry with his Native American heritage, interesting guy. Meant to have a bit of a blood and guts style too.