UFC Tampa: Jedrzejczyk vs Waterson - Oct 12 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

On Saturday 12th October the Octagon descends onĀ Tampa, Florida with this beauty...

70-E10-C6-C-2-DC5-4737-92-E7-C98-CA43573

ESPN+Ā MAIN CARD
Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Michelle WatersonĀ 

Cub Swanson vs Kron GracieĀ 

James Vick vs Niko PriceĀ 

Mackenzie Dern vs Amanda Ribas

Luis PeƱa vs Matt Frevola

Eryk Anders vs Gerald Meerschaert

Ā 

ESPN+Ā PRELIMS
Ryan Spann vs Devin Clark

Thomas Gifford vs Mike Davis

Max Griffin vs Alex MoronoĀ 

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Tim Elliott

Marlon Vera vs Andre Ewell

Hector Aldana vs Miguel Baeza

Marvin Vettori vs Andrew SanchezĀ 

JJ Aldrich vs Lauren Mueller

Ā 

I like that. Some of the prelims are a bit cack but thereā€™s a good 4 or 5 fights there that Iā€™m looking forward to and a couple of interesting debuts from the Contender Series guys. Overall this is a better card than UFC 243 for me. This lot as an undercard for Whittaker vs Adesanya wouldā€™ve been ace. Oh well.Ā 

Ā 

13-DE7-C8-E-A2-F0-47-BA-BA87-49-EAAAB7-B

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Michelle Waterson headlines. Really like this fight. Theyā€™ve both been two of my favourite women fighters to watch over the years so itā€™ll be cool to see them face each other. Jedrzejczyk is back at Strawweight for this one. She went up to 125lbs to challenge Valentina Shevchenko for the Flyweight Title in December but lost a clear decision. 115lbs is where she ruled anyway. She was a dominant champion at Strawweight beating the likes of Jessica Andrade, Karolina Kowalkiewicz, ClĆ”udia Gadelha twice and Carla Esparza. The only blemishes on her Strawweight record are the two losses to Rose Namajunas. Waterson is one of the more experienced women in the game. Sheā€™s been around since before the Rousey era when womenā€™s MMA blew up. Sheā€™s 17-6 now, former Invicta Atomweight champ and comes into this fight off 3 consecutive wins. With Rose off the scene at the moment and Andrade coming off getting smashed by Weili Zhang in China, the division is wide open and this fight could well determine the next challenger for Zhangā€™s newly won belt.

Ā 

A2066-BC6-1-A1-A-4-ABC-80-AA-F20-EA96906

Cub Swanson vs Kron GracieĀ isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH*** and aĀ fight I absolutely love the sound of. Swanson is 35 years old now and has had a long career full of hard fights. Heā€™s in a tough spot in his career now, having lost 4 fights on the trot. So this is a real must win situation for him. Heā€™s a dangerous guy though and I wouldnā€™t write him off just yet. Gracie is obviously the new kid on the block but being the son of the legendary Rickson Gracie brings its own pressure that heā€™s had to deal with all his life. Kron, as youā€™d expect from a Gracie, is a top class grappler and BJJ black-belt. Heā€™s also 5-0 so far in MMA with 5 submissions, 4 inside a round. He tapped out Bruce Leroy in his UFC debut in February. This is a big step up for Gracie but a logical one. And while Cubā€™s coming off 4 losses, they were at a high level. Heā€™s been in with the likes of Holloway, Aldo, Edgar, Ortega, Poirier etc. Heā€™s got a massive edge in terms of the level of opposition heā€™s faced. But itā€™s a double-edged sword as, in gaining that experience, heā€™s taken a lot of damage over the years in those battles. Fascinating matchup.

Ā 

BE196-A03-B755-4561-A47-D-85380-EB26122.

James Vick vs Niko PriceĀ should be all kinds of chaos. This wouldā€™ve been my ā€˜one to watchā€™ if it wasnā€™t for Swanson vs Gracie.Ā Looking forward to this one a lot. Vick is coming off 3 losses on the bounce so thereā€™s always a chance he tries to fight safe. And I wouldnā€™t blame him. But Iā€™m not sure itā€™s possible to fight safe against Niko Price. The manā€™s a maniac. Lost to Geoff Neal in his last fight but Price is so wild and great to watch win or lose. This should be no different.Ā 

Ā 

63-F17147-7350-4-B98-887-B-7-CEF5-DD736-

Mackenzie Dern vs Amanda Ribas will be worth a look. Dern came into MMA with a fair bit of hype due to her looks and her BJJ credentials. In that order. Sheā€™s a black-belt and has all sorts of gold medals from her time competing in the ADCC and World Jiu-Jitsu Championships. She made the jump to MMA in 2016, went 5-0 and the UFC signed her up. She barely beat Ashley Yoder in a crappy fight in her UFC debut but subbed Amanda Cooper in impressive fashion in the first round in her next fight. So 7-0 now. Sheā€™s recently had a baby, so thatā€™s why sheā€™s been out for a while. But sheā€™s back now. Although, sheā€™s missed weight a few times already. Can only imagine thatā€™s going to be harder now sheā€™s had a baby. Ribas is Brazilian, 7-1 with 6 finishes. Donā€™t know much about her but sheā€™s got to be the toughest test for Dern to date on paper.

Ā 

B6-DBA0-FA-C3-C9-4-EBB-AB8-F-15-BDF55434

Luis PeƱa vs Matt FrevolaĀ could be good prelim fodder. PeƱa isnā€™t bad. He was on TUF a while ago, 7-1 record and just battered the returning Matt Wiman in May. At 6ā€™3ā€, heā€™s a massive 155er. I havenā€™t seen much of Frevola but heā€™s a Serra-Longo guy, 7-1-1, took Lando Vannata to a draw and beat Jalin Turner in his last fight.

Ā 

C1-BA707-A-0308-417-F-9-E48-4-E66-DDB88-

Eryk Anders vs Gerald MeerschaertĀ could be a bit of a darkhorse one to watch. Anders is 12-4, a heavy hitter, tough guy, former football player. His record is slightly misleading, IMO. I had him winning against both Lyoto Machida and Elias Theodorou. Meerschaert is no title contender but he can be a tricky customer. Trains out of Roufusport, BJJ black-belt, experienced at 29-11. Solid matchup here.

Ā 

93-CAD737-2610-45-FE-BD7-D-2-F852-DB78-B

Ryan Spann vs Devin Clark is a clash of two of the lesser talked about 205ers. Decent fight though. Spann is 28 years old, a good sized LHW at 6ā€™5ā€ and has a 16-5 record with 14 finishes. He notched the biggest win of his career on the UFC 237 undercard in May, knocking out Antonio RogĆ©rio Nogueira in about 2 minutes. Clark is 29 with a 10-3 record. I mostly remember him as the guy who was giving Aleksandar Rakic problems early in their fight before Rakic turned it around. I expect Spann to win here but I think itā€™ll be alright while it lasts.Ā 

Ā 

EC646-E89-7716-4-E6-D-91-A3-71898-E80704

Erm...Brok Weaver vs Thomas GiffordĀ then. Just look at these two. Itā€™s like a PoundlandĀ Gene SimmonsĀ vs Garth from Wayneā€™s World. From what Iā€™m reading Weaver was on Danaā€™s Contender Series, heā€™s 27 years old and has a 13-4 record. Has a win over Charles ā€˜Krazy Horseā€™ Bennett which I might have to look for a video of. Apparently heā€™s got quite a personality and stole the show with an interview or something on DWCS that won Dana over. Gifford is 14-8-0-2 and nearly all his wins were by submission. Lost his Octagon debut to Roosevelt Roberts in April but I rate Roberts. Strangely intrigued to see this fight now.Ā 

Ā 

32-CC4-C75-1-DAC-4-C7-E-90-FF-B32549-B53

Max Griffin vs Alex Morono might be decent. Griffin had a cracking hidden gem against Thiago Alves on one of the undercards early this year. Real good fight. He also has a win over Mike Perry. Heā€™s 15-6 now. Morono Iā€™m less familiar with. Heā€™s been about a while though. 16-5-1 record and coming off a couple of wins.Ā 

Ā 

C710-DFFB-6-B5-A-431-F-9-FCE-BDBBA24-C4-

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Tim Elliott should be an all-action Flyweight tussle. I really like this fight actually. Figueiredo is one of the more exciting 125lbers on the roster for me. His striking is vicious. Heā€™s 16-1 with the only loss coming against Jussier Formiga. And Elliott is a handful at the best of times. Heā€™s been in and out of the UFC and has mostly lost whenever heā€™s stepped up to the elite level but he did give Mighty Mouse probably his hardest defence during his reign as UFC champion. Good fight.Ā 

Ā 

C99-F0352-B6-DF-4-BD5-8700-3931842372-AC

Marlon Vera vs Andre Ewell is another one that might be alright but Iā€™m not really bothered about. Vera is usually pretty good to watch, to be fair. Heā€™s 14-5-1 and riding a 4 fight win-streak. Had a good scrap with John Lineker, retired Brad Pickett etc. Heā€™s not bad. I think Iā€™ve only seen Ewell twice. I saw him beat Renan Barao in his debut and I saw Nathaniel Wood submit him.Ā 

Ā 

36425-C36-4876-48-ED-A71-A-94-C0590-C97-

Hector Aldana vs Miguel BaezaĀ is a battle of unknowns for me. Aldana is 4-2, has fought in the UFC before and has lost his last 3 fights. Baeza is another DWCS guy, unbeatenĀ at 7-0 and nicknamed ā€˜Caramel Thunderā€™. Yeah. Seems like theyā€™re setting old Hector up for a twatting doesnā€™t it? ā€˜Caramel Thunderā€™ though.Ā 

Ā 

D62-E94-F7-3-DE3-4-F7-D-A0-B3-78-CFEE89-

JJ Aldrich vs Lauren MuellerĀ is a fight Iā€™m not fussed about. Aldrich is 7-3, training partner of Thug Rose. Lost to Maycee Barber last time out but had Barber in some bother and nearly ended the hype train. Mueller is 5-2 and I think she was on TUF at some point or other. Meh.

Ā 

And thatā€™sĀ UFC Tampa.Ā 

BB56-B1-EB-8-F2-C-4415-8-DC6-ABEEC7-F6-B

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Weaver was on Helwani's show a week or two ago, it got me interested in him. Hes a big pro wrestling fan and mixed abit of that pagentry with his Native American heritage, interesting guy. Meant to have a bit of a blood and guts style too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah just seen that. I donā€™tĀ blame Waterson, or any fighter, for saying no to a catchweight against a fighter who will be coming in heavy. In this case though, it might be a better idea. Fight Joanna on the date you were specifically training for anywayĀ and get 20% of her purse too. Or face a pissed off Jessica Andrade whoā€™s coming off that Zhang lossĀ at 244 a few weeks later. I think Iā€™d chance it against Joanna. But it wouldnā€™t matter because theyā€™d both kick my arse regardless.Ā 

As for Joanna not making weight, I wonder how much breast implants weigh?Ā 

628EDCF9-EC8C-4987-9C47-3F9E8782C646.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10/10/20907598/ex-ufc-champ-joanna-jedrzejczyk-addresses-weight-weili-zhang-and-michelle-waterson

Joanna is really flustered by it here in this interview as well. Trying to shut it down as not being an issue, and there's lots of time, but these stories haven't started smoking without flames somewhere. It seems unlikely at this point that she'll make the weight, and then there will be some last minute negotiating to do.

• Paid Members

And after all that...

CB18-E2-C4-CBC3-4016-9-B0-D-F261-EBBE73-

Happy about that. Makes me wonder if the whole rumour of Joanna struggling to make weight was bullshit put out byĀ her team, or Joanna herself,Ā to fuck withĀ Waterson a bit on fight week. Where did it all start anyway? In everything I saw from Joanna after the rumour broke, she seemed baffled by it and confident sheā€™d make the weight. All seems odd.Ā 

Tell you what though, this card hasnā€™t half been slept on. I love the main event but weā€™re also justĀ a day away from Cub Swanson vs Kron Gracie! Talk about a great fight sneaking up on you. Niko Price vs James Vick isnā€™t far behind it for me either.Ā 

• Paid Members

Thought this was class pretty much top to bottom.Ā 

Complete showcase for Joanna Jedrzejczyk in the main event. Aside from the choke attempt in the 3rd (?), it was all Joanna.Ā For all the talk this week that she was struggling to make weight, this was byĀ farĀ the best sheā€™s looked since before Namajunas losses. Waterson never stopped trying but she was just outmatched. It was always going to be tough on the feet but also, Joanna has really good takedown defence and withĀ Waterson lackingĀ the size andĀ physical strength, a grappling heavy gameplanĀ just wasnā€™t going to happen for her. The top of the Strawweight division is very interesting now. Youā€™ve got the champ Weill Zhang whoā€™s just burst on the scene and looked a beast. Then youā€™ve got two very different but very skilled challengers inĀ Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Tatiana Suarez. Then youā€™ve got former champs JĆ©ssica Andrade and Rose Namajunas who could be right back in the mix with one big win. Five really talented fighters, all with completely different styles. You can mix and match that lot for some fascinating matchups. Strawweight has become a cracking little division.Ā 

Cub Swanson vs Kron Gracie was great fun as expected. Best Swanson has looked in some time for me. Maybe itā€™s something to do with shaving his head. The hair just wasnā€™t working for him results-wise. Seriously he looked sharp here. Heā€™s clearly still got something left in the tank. As nice as it is having aĀ Gracie in the UFC in 2019, I was happy to see Cub win. Kron showed heā€™s tough but I guess he wasnā€™t ready for this step up. His lack of offensive wrestling is going to be a real issue going forward. His game willĀ work to a certain level, and has before now,Ā but not against crafty vets like Swanson. If he couldnā€™t take Cub down and get his BJJ going, it was always going to be a rough night. And it got to the point he barely even tried to take him down.Ā Fair play to Kron though. He didnā€™t shy away in the striking exchanges like a lot of the Gracies have in the past. He went for it and did land a fair bitĀ but it was definitely more Cubā€™s style of fight. Kron just tried to Terminator his way through it.Ā 

Niko Price vs James Vick...Christ! I love Niko Price. Mad bastard.Ā Whenā€™s the last time we saw an upkick KO? Thatā€™s two people now heā€™s knocked out from his back. Nutcase.Ā Hard to see a way back for Vick. Thatā€™s 4 consecutive losses now, 3 of them by knockout in the first round. Niko will continue to trade wins and losses in barnburners. Heā€™ll probablyĀ never go much further up the ladder but heā€™s so much fun to watch and heā€™s a likeable,Ā overexcited big kid in interviews. Canā€™t helpĀ but root for him. As for whatā€™s next, Robbie Lawler needs an opponent for UFC 245...

Amanda Ribas vs Mackenzie Dern. This wasnā€™t the comeback Dern was hoping for, obviously. Suffers her first defeat and basically got shut down and outclassed all night. I liked Ribasā€™ performance. She clearly had the advantage on the feet and she did a good job nullifying Dernā€™s BJJ, which I wasnā€™t sure sheā€™d be able to do. Good stuff. Canā€™t help thinking Dern mightā€™ve rushed back too soon. She only had her baby 4 months ago. She mustā€™ve pretty much wentĀ straight from the maternity ward to the gym.Ā 

Matt Frevola vs Luis PeƱa was close. Wasnā€™t paying that close attention to scoring it but kind of thought PeƱa would getĀ the decision when it was over but it went to Frevola. Only clear round was the second for PeƱa. Iā€™d have to rewatch rounds 1 and 3, they were close but I felt like PeƱa probably did enough.Ā Good fight regardless.

Eryk Anders vs Gerald Meerschaert was anotherĀ close one. I hadĀ Meerschaert winning. Anders has had aĀ weird run. AlmostĀ every fight heā€™s had in the UFC thatā€™sĀ gone the distance, Iā€™ve disagreed with the decision. The loss to Rountree was clear cut but I thoughtĀ he beat Machida and Theodorou butĀ lost to Meerschaert. Whatever. Thereā€™s been worse decisions.Ā 

Ryan Spann vs Devin Clark was decent. Nobody talks about Spann but he looks pretty good. His striking could do with improving but heā€™s got someĀ nice grappling and heā€™s coming off 5 wins with 4 finishes now. Just another name to add to the pool of fresh names in the 205 division. Clark deserved to lose just because of that shite beard.

17-BA3127-06-CF-41-B4-8580-5-E3191-E71-C

What was that?

Mike Davis vs Thomas Gifford was actually hard to watch. Gifford got fucked upĀ bad. He was game early but as the fight went on you could just see Davis was busting him up, especially towards the end of the second round. Then it got so much worse for him in the third.Ā Thought Bisping was spot on with his commentary during this fight when he said the corner shouldā€™ve pulled Gifford out of there because he wasnā€™t going to say he couldnā€™t continue and he was just getting battered. But they let him go out for the last round and...

B383A19F-636A-47B9-9861-ACCB355772FE.gif

That didnā€™t need to happen. Couldā€™ve been stopped a while before that, I thought. Either by his corner or the referee. He was showing all the signs of being done long beforeĀ that finishing shot landed. Found it a bit disturbing to watch, especially in light of the tragedies in Boxing this year. That whole third round you just had a feeling something bad was coming. Thankfully Gifford appears to beĀ OK but he took way more damage than necessary IMO.Ā 

Fuck me, who put a quid in Alex Morono then? Heā€™s been on the roster for a while and Iā€™ve never taken much notice,Ā his fights just come and go. But he proper went for it here. Max Griffin is tough as fuck because he got absolutely hammered here and wouldnā€™t go away. Donā€™t know how he got through that second round.Ā 

Enjoyed Deiveson Figueiredo tapping Tim Elliott quickly. Elliott is a solid fighter but Iā€™ve always found him a bit annoying. And Figueiredo is my kind of fighter. Proper aggressive little bastard and a real finisher in a division not particularly heaving with them. Heā€™s 17-1 now, with the only loss being on points to Formiga. I canā€™t see him beating Cejudo butĀ could definitely see him being in the title mix before long.Ā 

Marlon Vera vs Andre Ewell was prettyĀ one sided but it was exciting all the same. Vera put a right beating on him towards the end there. Veraā€™s a guy whoā€™s been really entertaining to watch forever and heā€™s been racking up the wins to little fanfare. But heā€™s won 5 in a row now, all finishes, might be time to start taking some notice of the man.Ā 

One of the better shows this year for me. Very little fat on it.Ā Reminded me a bit of thoseĀ WEC showsĀ back in the day when youā€™d get cards just choc-full of action-packed fights.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

What I did see of this show (main card, and Figueiredo Vs Elliott) was excellent.Ā 

A real return to form for JJ. I'm glad to see her get back to her old level of performance as well, as she's too young and too good to be going 1-4 in her last five. This was a really good showing from her. I think she gets the next shot at Zhang now, after that. A real good fight too.Ā 

Swanson Vs Gracie was fantastic. I scored it for Swanson, 30-27. I couldn't give it to Gracie, maybe a round at most. Delighted for Cub that he was able to break the run that he was on, but both men come out of this one looking good. Gracie was able to be in a fight that showed he can hang when everything isn't going his way and that he has tonnes of heart, and that'll stand to him in the future. Both are double tough bastard's for getting through this one still standing.Ā 

Niko Price is a lunatic. You just know you're in for a good time when he's on a show. A brutal KO of James Vick here. I can't help but think that's Vick done in the UFC for now. He's been badly KO'd a few times recently and could probably do with a year away to reassess and heal. I know Dalby wants Perry, and Perry wants Lawler, but if neither of those happen, how about Mike Perry Vs Niko Price for Christmas?

I thought Frevola Vs Pena should have been a draw. I gave Frevola 1 and 3 as 10-9's, but gave Pena round 2 as a 10-8. This was another great fight as well.Ā 

I'm glad Anders got a win, I'd like to see him do well. Though I do think he got a bit lucky with the decision here. It felt like Meerschaert was going to get the nod. Yet another entertaining scrap, on a card packed with them.

Figueiredo Vs Elliott, looked set to be 3 rounds of non-stop action and movement, and then Deiveson did what he usually does, and finished work early. He's a mighty handful in this division.Ā 

• Paid Members

Kron appears to have the old age Gracie of not being able to get a fight to the ground and it cost him. That said, i cant recall seeing a show of bravery and willingness to engage on the feet like that from one in a long time, the guys got a sack on him.

• Paid Members
On 10/14/2019 at 10:20 AM, WeeAl said:

I know Dalby wants Perry, and Perry wants Lawler, but if neither of those happen, how about Mike Perry Vs Niko Price for Christmas?

Yeah I saw the Perry interview. Iā€™m well up for him vs Lawler at UFC 245 if possible. Niko Price was also saying on the Post-Fight Show that heā€™s down to fight Perry so yeahĀ thatā€™s another one.Ā I thoughtĀ Price could maybe jump in against Lawler but Priceā€™s wife is due to give birth in December so him stepping in at 245 is unlikely. Any combination of those three maniacs is perfect though.Ā 

Oh and Karyn Bryant tweeted that Nikoā€™s KO was only the second knockout via upkick in UFC history. First was Fitch vs Alves back in 2006. But Iā€™m pretty sure Niko is the only man in UFC history to have 2 knockouts off his back...

B51E247B-498B-4B1F-8C16-C3B470483F2A.gif

C5F6DBE4-72C5-46EE-B9D2-46E6CDDB579C.gif