Who is Vince McMahon’s best friend...

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

... and how did they hurt him?

It’s always been a thing in WWE, but it seems now more than ever, that any two wrestlers with a passing association lasting more than one episode are constantly referred to on commentary as ‘best friends’ before one inevitably, always betrays or turns on the other.

I might be in the minority but while I have lots of good friends, I haven’t had a single ‘best’ friend since I was about 11. So all these full grown wrestlers with best friends always seems a little off to me anyway. But the message seems to be that you open yourself up to your best friend (who has been your best friend maybe a fortnight) and they will then destroy you within a month.

So like I said in the thread title, who was Vince McMahon’s best friend and what did they do to hurt him? It’s my only explanation for this fascination with best friends and betrayals on the shows.

Wild speculation welcome!

• Paid Members

I've been saying this for the last couple of years, it's become such a WWE trope, to the extent that I don't remember it ever being so prominent.

It's probably just lazy shorthand to try and give a turn emotional gravitas by saying, "BUT THEY WERE BEST FRIENDS!", rather than actually investing time and effort in establishing a believable relationship between two people, and ties into how Vince books babyfaces traditionally as "me vs. the world".

As for Vince's best friend - Randy Savage. Savage walked out on him when Vince thought he could trust him, and went to WCW. Vince never forgave him enough to let him back into the fold the way he did everyone else.

• Paid Members

McMahon, Hogan and Savage were his big pals in the 80s. Motorbikes, steroids and cocaine. This is the photo I always think of when I think of this pair. Vince in his snake skin boots, wearing Hogan's shirt and on his bike.

ceefc97db52e8a48d49ad10e30e1bc97.jpg

Savage, Hogan and McMahon are all the same character. Charismatic guys, with something really sketchy about them. And incredible thin skinned for being so leathery. This trio have had so many falling outs with everyone. It seems like friendship only matters to them when they are making money out of each other.

11 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

McMahon, Hogan and Savage were his big pals in the 80s. Motorbikes, steroids and cocaine. This is the photo I always think of when I think of this pair. Vince in his snake skin boots, wearing Hogan's shirt and on his bike.

ceefc97db52e8a48d49ad10e30e1bc97.jpg

Looks like the sort of picture Jed would have had over his mantlepiece in Alan Partridge

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Angle_fan said:

I always thought Sgt. Slaughter was one of his long time besties too. I always remember Jim Ross saying that he'd been part of Vinces "inner circle" for over 20 years about 20 years ago and always believed it. 

The Fink was apart of his inner circle, too. But they repaid years of service with a Hall of Fame video of his daftest and most embarrassing moments. Where else could you pay tribute to your loyalist employee (who also happens to be the best in his field by a country mile) by trying to make a fool of him on his big night?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay