Southside Wrestling closes down and merges with Rev Pro

Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

You're kinda proving the logic that is preventing a lot of performers from getting paid/a fair wage in fairness - the 'Oh well I get my hotel rooms paid... I mean I know they're not paying me for the actual work I'm dong but, hey....'. mentality that a lot of people have.

They are getting paid for their work though. By being given a place to live. I mean, sure, Sutton Coldfield Championship Wrestling probably won't pay for a hooker to come over and give you a footjob and they might frown a bit if you order extra chips with your medium-rare Aberdeen Angus, but you're still getting paid for the work you are doing with a place to live. That's why pretty much everyone works, I assume.

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They are getting paid for their work though. By being given a place to live. I mean, sure, Sutton Coldfield Championship Wrestling probably won't pay for a hooker to come over and give you a footjob and they might frown a bit if you order extra chips with your medium-rare Aberdeen Angus, but you're still getting paid for the work you are doing with a place to live. That's why pretty much everyone works, I assume.

No, they're not.
Honestly, it's not the same thing.
Having a place to stay while you work somewhere and being paid for the work you're doing while you are there are not the same thing.
Again, ask a wrestler on a month long tour abroad if they'd be happy having a free hotel room for the duration but not getting paid for their matches.

In fact, IMPACT have apparently started paying for their wrestlers accommodation while on the road.
I'm sure the roster will be delighted to hear that because 'they are being given a place to live' while they are on the road they will no longer need to get paid for the actual matches they work.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

So the Best Of Southside DVD set:

- Elogy by David Starr

- Fergal Devitt vs Finn Balor

- Tatanka vs Bob Holly

- Mark Andrews & Pete Dunne vs The Hunter Brothers

Fucking hell.

Right, here is a playlist full of free matches that Southside has uploaded to YouTube. Loads of big names knocking around in here; Pete Dunne, Aleister Black, Will Ospreay, Fergal Devitt, The Young Bucks, Tyler Bate, Kay Lee Ray, Zack Sabre Jr, Spud, Roderick Strong, Cedric Alexander, Kevin Steen, Finn Balor, PAC plus loads more. 

Have a look through, watch a couple on your lunchbreak, sign up to your local union. Celebrate SWE.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

You actually edited your post to include that. Bless your heart.

Half-true; I also edited it to include "celebrate SWE", you massive sponge. 

I also don't see why it's a big issue; you edited your previous post to include your Impact spiel. Have a wank, SBA.

EDIT: Oh, and let the record show that I tried to get the thread back on course but SBA just couldn't take the loss. Just like a proper Tory.

Edited by Accident Prone

Just now, Accident Prone said:

I also don't see why it's a big issue; you edited your previous post to include your Impact spiel. Have a wank, SBA.

Who said it was a big issue? Just pointing it out. I'm happy you thought enough about it to include it, personally.

I had a wank in the interval. That's what the interval's for. I bet you had one too, didn't you? Cos you look like a wanker. 

7 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Who said it was a big issue? Just pointing it out. I'm happy you thought enough about it to include it, personally.

I had a wank in the interval. That's what the interval's for. I bet you had one too, didn't you? Cos you look like a wanker. 

Wonderful reference.

Feel like i'm interrupting here but I've had some of my best live experiences at SWE shows, during 2010/11 there was very little british wrestling near me. I spoke to a guy called Ben on Facebook who was starting to co promote a show called NBW Southside in St Neots (following a trial show I believe in one of the villages), he saw via Facebook that I had been to 1PW and was talking British Wrestling, As I had enjoyed my 1PW Sheffield opening to seeing Bret Hart and knew nobody else and only followed WWE previously (and also this being my first drive solo after just passing my test), as this was literally 10 minutes for me I headed over to this venue to see what he was doing. I loved it, being up close to the action, the direct crowd interactions I was hooked. During it's early days it seem very rough around the edges some of the wrestlers looked like default CAWs but it didn't bother me. I remember seeing a couple of guys wrestling their first matches on this show one of them being Robbie X, I witnessed Britani Knight wrestle Sweet Saraya in a Mum vs Daughter match and Greg Burridge using my WWE Encyclopedia I'd won in the evenings raffle as a weapon.

From here my love of British wrestling grew as did the scene on the whole, I dabbled over the next few years with other promotions such as Rev Pro etc but always stayed loyal to Southside not just because they were local but I was seeing lots of new match styles, a massively exciting long feud between Ligero and Kirby which had I Quit, Cage matches, No Rope matches and many more over the years and as better attendances and money grew I saw US imports wrestle our young guys and grils and put them over massively in promos and heard the feedback they were getting over in the US, I sat in Subway and watched Sabu stroll past me with a steel chair, I've seen Johnny Gargano wrestle in my high street hall and witness Prince Devitt put his head through a ceiling tile in a community centre behind my local cinema just before Christmas

A couple of personal show highlights and recommend looking at them the Speed King tournament shows of 2013 and 2014 they were a fantastic look on paper at what I feel was near the peak of this British boom and mixing of UK and international talent 

2013 featured Dean Allmark, Robbie X, Martin Kirby, Ligero, Kay Lee Ray, Noam Dar, Zack Sabre Jr, Noam Dar, Marty Scurll, Jay Lethal and Samuray Del Sol.

2014 had 2 shows a morning and afternoon, the afternoon had some tremendous matches I remember seeing this kid Tyler Bate vs Noam Dar and a fab 4 Way with Devitt and the main show had some knockout matches including Will Ospreay vs Mark Andrews  Pete Dunne vs Noam Dar and a title match of Devitt vs Haskins this show is still my favourite show I saw live.

I'm sure there's many promotions with a longer history and impact but for me Southside was really my opening into British Wrestling and feel that during 2011 -2015 it was a peak for me in my wrestling fandom and since many of the guys left for bigger things worldwide I've felt that been part of something special while it's been around

On 9/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, Accident Prone said:

EDIT: Oh, and let the record show that I tried to get the thread back on course but SBA just couldn't take the loss. Just like a proper Tory.

Never Trust a Tory

I went to Southside for my first BritWres event. Ted Dibiase was there as was Tommy Dreamer, who did wrestle (can’t remember who against although it was a shit match)

Noam Dar was there and I think the main event was Pete Dunne vs MK McKinnon who I was convinced was going to be a massive star (is he still around?)

Had a lovely time, so sad to see them go. 

Edit: Just remembered that that’s how’s I found out about this place, so fuck Southside.

Edited by SuperBacon
UKFF UKFF