Southside Wrestling closes down and merges with Rev Pro

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I lived in Nottingham for a few years between 2012-2014 and went to a fair few Southside shows.  In almost all cases I was drawn in by the international names, which varied from mega workers like Fergal Devitt and Fin Balor, to old WWF guys like Tatanka and Bob Holly, but ended up leaving the show buzzing about a match featuring UK talent.  

There was one, on paper, semi-innocuous looking match on a Nottingham show in 2013 or 2014 which was The Hunter Brothers vs Flips and Forearms (Mark Andrews and Pete Dunne) which is still perhaps my favouritre match I've ever seen live.

Great promotion Southside.

29 minutes ago, bbabba said:

I lived in Nottingham for a few years between 2012-2014 and went to a fair few Southside shows.  In almost all cases I was drawn in by the international names, which varied from mega workers like Fergal Devitt and Fin Balor, to old WWF guys like Tatanka and Bob Holly, but ended up leaving the show buzzing about a match featuring UK talent.  

There was one, on paper, semi-innocuous looking match on a Nottingham show in 2013 or 2014 which was The Hunter Brothers vs Flips and Forearms (Mark Andrews and Pete Dunne) which is still perhaps my favouritre match I've ever seen live.

Great promotion Southside.

Fergal Devitt and Finn Balor are the same person

Edited by thescottishchamp87

9 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

(and travelling around the world, having all your travel and accommodation paid for - is it still classed as unpaid then?) 

Yes it is because the work you will actually be doing is not paid.... but lets move on.

Its a shame that Southside has closed as it produced some great shows and was the platform for a lot of UK and imported talent to showcase their wares. I attended a few of their shows and they always delivered value for money.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yes it is because the work you will actually be doing is not paid

No it isn't. Unpaid means you don't get paid, it would mean you pay for travel and accommodation yourself.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I promise you this kind of thing is much more prolific than you think and the performers doing it - dancers in this instance - are usually very good.
Oftentimes its the management/production company rather than the performer who decides these things but, still...
I taught at a performing arts school about 5-6 years ago with professional/semi-professional dancers/actors/singers and the opportunity to work a Kylie Minogue tour (and music video if I remember rightly) came up - about 50 or so dancers, very good dancers, went for it and all were told by the people in charge that the gig was not paid.
However some [most, actually] were still interested because they would be flown around the world and... well, it's Kylie, yeah? Great experience and what a thing to put on your CV - travelling the world as part of the Kylie tour/being in a Kylie video!!

Equity prevents this kind of thing - and that is great. However if some promoters etc can save money and get decent performers free/on the cheap they absolutely will - and there will always be those who work for free/cheaper than they should. It's a problem in all aspects of performance industries where individuals largely work for themselves and have no guarantee of a regular income. 

This recent article outlines some of the problems that have been around forever in the performing arts and are relevant to the wrestling industry too.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/12/pop-industry-accused-of-taking-advantage-of-dancers-music

Just a last post on this point: yes and no, it doesn't happen quite that often that good dancers aren't paid - more often that they're offered jobs that are low-paid, and have poor conditions. The bulk of my roster is dancers, predominantly street/hip-hop/dance battle talent, and they suffer from that more than anyone; there's a cultural perception in the industry that dancers from that particular "scene" are just "kids" who don't really know what they're doing and aren't professionals. Dancers in general are treated not very well, which is outrageous considering the skills required and risks of injury they run. Worst culprits are music companies, who offer shit money and conditions for music videos. (Consequently, I and a number of other dance agents have been spear-heading a campaign for better pay and conditions, and we've been working with Equity to accomplish it.)

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It does. Work is work. A company covering costs to get you to where they need you to be and accommodating you while you are there is not a paid job.

So by your logic, if I get an unpaid job with Buzzfeed doing stuff like 1.7 Million Better Things I Could Be Doing Than Arguing With That SBA On UKFF, and I somehow persuade them to pay my rent then I'm still unpaid. I'll get to work on that then.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So by your logic, if I get an unpaid job with Buzzfeed doing stuff like 1.7 Million Better Things I Could Be Doing Than Arguing With That SBA On UKFF, and I somehow persuade them to pay my rent then I'm still unpaid. I'll get to work on that then.

You're kinda proving the logic that is preventing a lot of performers from getting paid/a fair wage in fairness - the 'Oh well I get my hotel rooms paid... I mean I know they're not paying me for the actual work I'm dong but, hey....'. mentality that a lot of people have.
So then someone else comes along and goes 'No, all that stuff's nice, and thank you, but I actually want paying for the job I'm doing too' and they go 'Screw you, we'll get Devon Malcolm in. He's just happy we're paying for travel and accommodation. Saves us money'.

Again, this is derailing the thread and we can discuss in Off Topic or whatever if you really want to carry it on but having expenses covered and being paid for work is not the same thing.