NXT in talks to move to the USA Network! (against AEW)

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I'm not surprised. Fox Sports One always seemed too small fry to be a threat to counter programme TNT. The question is what does this mean for the network.

If people can't watch NXT whenever they fancy on demand then will it translate to viewers?

Also do people care more about NXT in front of the small, usual Full Sail crowd over sold out, big feel hot crowds?

Can Vince keep his hands of NXT if it's on USA? Remember when WWEECW was supposed to be an online only thing then boom TV deal and Vince booked it into an toilet? (Mildly amusing toilet but still a toilet)

Edited by DEF

I think it has been suggested (by Wrestling Observer) that Vince and Kevin Dunn would definitely take a much more hands-on approach with NXT if it ended up on USA. 

Until confirmed by WWE themselves what they are doing, it’s all hypothetical but imagine how Triple H feels if, after being passed up for running RAW or Smackdown (or declining them to stay with NXT, if other narratives are to be preferred) he has his own project/product/baby taken away from him?

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

I don't know how anyone could still watch it regularly after what a mess that Gargano/Ciampa thing became.

While their latest match may not have been to everyone's tastes, I can't see how it was THAT bad to the point where people would suggest not watching the show anymore. Bit of an overreaction I think. I get that their storyline wasn't ideal but it didn't ruin the entire product. And sure arguably Gargano/Cole ended up being even worse from a match perspective but it still didn't ruin the whole product.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Paid Members

The matches were the least of their problems! It was everything else. 

The way Gargano vs. Ciampa deteriorated  into such wanky bullshit genuinely killed my interest in NXT dead. It went from the one show I never missed to a show I barely ever watch. I’ll still watch the Takeover events, but the weekly TV? As if.

It was the best storyline in the business, with the best heel in the business feuding with the best babyface in the business, having absolute belters that I could completely lose myself in.

That first match in particular, fucking hell. What a match. When was the last time they had such lightning in a bottle in terms of the babyface/heel dynamic? When was the last time a heel was so legitimately hated, coming out to thunderous “fuck you!” chants? When was the last time a babyface was so loved, warranting such genuine, non-ironic support? When was the last time you didn’t have time to enjoy cool spots or clever sequences because you were so engrossed in wanting the hero to just batter the villain? I felt like a kid when Johnny put that final submission hold on using the leg brace. “Yes Johnny! Fucking kill the bastard! Tap, you cunt!!”

I was so fucking invested in that storyline and those characters. They’d nailed it. They’d hit the jackpot. Super simple, basic stuff that clicked like nothing they’d done in years. All they had to do was pay it off in a similarly simple fashion. The goal was wide open. Tap it in. Let Johnny murder him one final time and win the World Title in a huge crescendo.

I can forgive them for feeling like they had to do that third match after Black’s injury painted them into a corner. What I can’t forgive is both the finish, which made Johnny look like the World’s biggest dickhead, or the unbelievably terrible decision to turn him heel shortly afterwards. One of the all time worst missteps in terms of story telling and handling a character. Up there with turning Stone Cold. Take your top, purest, white-meat babyface and inexplicably turn him heel just because. Awful.

Trying to get all clever and act like Johnny’s been corrupted by Ciampa and forced to turn to the dark side or whatever. Fuck off with your Star Wars-y, E-Fed bollocks. And then worse still, turn Johnny babyface again when Ciampa gets injured and expect everyone to still cheer the lad who’s proven himself to be a weak, obsessive, easily manipulated coward, who attacks people in car parks? Get in the bin, the lot of you.

• Paid Members

6F6E108F-053E-4E0F-B967-FC58E1A8D671.thumb.jpeg.eed3e6d576c7f332b24fc7359e3cec00.jpeg

If this Roman whodunnit was to be similar to Gargano/Ciampa, the culprit would be revealed to be someone like Kofi Kingston. It’d be explained that Randy Orton had turned Kofi to the darkside or some shit, then by Wrestlemania time next year we’d be expected to still cheer Kofi again.

Edited by Supremo

I can see them sending a few people back to NXT who aren’t doing anything on the main roster, then making it two hours, removing the squash matches and video packages and basically turning it into Smackdown-Lite. Putting NXT on proper tele is madness. Are they still gonna put people out there who are green as fuck? They are forgiven on the Network because it’s a development show, that won’t fly on real tele 

• Paid Members

So to compete against AEW they're going to fuck up their development programme? Great. NXT's main audience is the same as AEW''s except they'll choose AEW over NXT anytime. Especially as it's now the big bad WWE trying to fuck over the plucky upstart.