Terrible Title Changes

tiger_rick

Hogan vs The Giant, Halloween Havoc 1995. Not the best way to end a 469 days long reign.

For those not familiar with it: 

In the main event Hogan was disqualified after Hart hit the referee with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt. Hart then turned on Hogan by hitting him with the title belt and joined the Dungeon of Doom. After the match The Yeti came to the ring and assisted Giant by putting Hogan in a double bearhug, so that they were both crushing Hogan at the same time (in what is considered one of the most awkward moments in pro wrestling history). Randy Savage came to the ring to try to save Hogan, as did Lex Luger. Lex Lugerturned on Savage by attacking him and then put Hogan in the Torture Rack, joining the Dungeon of Doom. The Giant took the belt from the referee after the match and left with it; Jimmy Hart later revealed that he had a clause put in the contract that the title could change hands on a disqualification, but a week later on Nitro, The Giant was stripped of the title, because the disqualification was due to Hart's interference,

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Does David Arquette's entire title run count? Wins it from his own partner in the tag match, then in the triple tier cage has every opportunity to grab the belt for himself because he gets sent to the top of the cage and nobody bothers to stop him, before helping Jarrett win it in another typical Russo swerve. 

Don’t understate the notion that Page would be happy Arquette had just won the belt and helped him celebrate when it meant he had just LOST the belt.

• Paid Members
On 8/17/2019 at 5:21 PM, air_raid said:

My favourite was the lockbox challenge. Tara won an elimination and got to open a box but since Angelinas key opened the box with the belt in, she went home with it. Is there any stupider idea in the world of scripted combat sport than that a defending champion can actually win their fucking match but still lose their title? Utter joke. Fuck TNA.

This wins for me.

The whole segment was absolutely dire. What does it say about a title when you put it up as a game show prize along side such precious items as Tara's pet spider. For that matter, what does it say about the title that they had to do the horrific "ONE OF THESE WOMEN WILL HAVE TO STRIP NUDE OR BE FIRED!!!!!" bait and switch as well. Showing a lot of confidence in the ability and popularity of your wrestlers there eh?

You could probably do an entire thread on shitty TNA title changes though.

What about Disco Inferno winning and losing the WCW tag belts with Alex Wright, despite not being involved in either of the matches? I get that he was injured but why not just....not have him win a title?

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Think I might have remembered one of the worst. May 1999 Sable beat Debra in an evening gown match only for horny bastard Shawn Michaels to declare Debra the winner and new champ on account of her stripping off. 

Up the women's revolution.

I don’t feel this one gets talked about enough...Dolph Ziggler won his first World Heavyweight title by LOSING a match. He faced Edge in a match where the spear was banned, Edge beat him with the Spear, and a few days later Vickie Guerrero overturned the result and gave the belt to Dolph. 

Then an immediate rematch took place, and minutes later Edge was the new champion. Absolutely horrendous.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I despised this so much at the time. I have no rational reason in 2019 for doing so, but it pissed me off as a 9 year old.

Me too, but only because I love the Steiners. Great match though.

Abyss beat Sting by DQ and won the NWA World Title. Being TNA, when they started they implemented the rule that titles could change hands via DQ, then proceeded to not mention it for the next 3 years so that when they decided to do actually do it and everyone had forgotten about the rule. Cue Mike Tenay having to cover with “OOOOOOOH, that’s right! Titles CAN change hands by disqualification in TNA”

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Abyss beat Sting by DQ and won the NWA World Title. Being TNA, when they started they implemented the rule that titles could change hands via DQ, then proceeded to not mention it for the next 3 years so that when they decided to do actually do it and everyone had forgotten about the rule. Cue Mike Tenay having to cover with “OOOOOOOH, that’s right! Titles CAN change hands by disqualification in TNA”

As shit as that is, that's pretty long term for TNA. Russo's usual booking is 8:57pm - commentator says titles can now change hands by DQ. 8:59pm - title changes hands by DQ.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think this is quite commonly brought up, but a little revisionist. They definitely brought it up quite regularly, and I’d only been watching TNA for about a year at that point.

But yeah, definitely still shit.