I'm too old for this

tiger_rick

Probably eating sweets. I've dropped 3 stone this year and have reached somewhat of the shape I was aiming for (truthfully if I knew how hard it was going to be to lose weight I probably wouldn't have started) and my diet is more or less micromanaged to the point where I leave 2/300 calories leftover in my macros every day for a pick 'n' mix.

Getting off the sugar treadmill has proved to be more of a bastard than alcohol ever was. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’m 40 soon, my wife is 43 and we don’t have kids. I feel like we’re far too old to have come all the way to Universal Orlando and queue for the Harry Potter, E.T and Spiderman rides.

This. Definitely this. I’m 40 next year, so is my best mate and there’s a month between us. So we’ve decided we’re going to Disneyland Paris for a blow-out in February. She’s not usually one for enforced fun but I’ve already told her we’re getting the ears and everything. I’d get us matching T-shirts as well if it wasn’t February and we’ll probably have 15 layers on.

I always feel weird going to Florida with just the two of us. I’m sure most people think we’re a couple too. We have way more fun on the rides than the kids. In the queues to pass the time we always play Heads Up and the kids around us end up joining in.

I sometimes feel to be old to be doing cosplay as well. Like I’m playing dress up and should get over it.

I bought my Xbox One to play Fortnite against my nephews. They make fun of how rubbish I am but I prefer playing stuff like Kefflings. People in work think I’m weird when I start talking about gaming. We just got a teen cinema/gaming room for the kids at work and when it came to setting up the Wii/PlayStation/Xbox my manager just pointed at me and said I’d do it but if I go missing during the day for more than 30mins then that’s the first place people are to look for me.

There are lots of things I do that make me feel like I’m too old to be doing it... but I then think “Fuck it” - if I’m enjoying myself then who gives a toss.

Edited by Monkee

I think I may be too old for gaming now.  It's a busman's holiday for me anyway, but I just don't seem to have the time or enthusiasm for getting stuck into long games like Red Dead any more.  I probably play through 1or 2 games a year.  And my Xbox One just died and I'm seriously considering not bothering to replace it until the next generation come out next autumn.

I've hooked up my old Wii and busted out Mario Kart, that and Sega Bass Fishing will probably keep me going until the PS5 drops.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Loki said:

I think I may be too old for gaming now.

Sadly, I agree. I don't know if it's to do with the fact that modern games are just so fucking huge though, it's just such a huge undertaking. If I do play games it's ones that I can do in a couple of hours. Are there many modern examples of short playing time games, like Limbo for example, which was also a brilliant game?

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Loki said:

I think I may be too old for gaming now.  It's a busman's holiday for me anyway, but I just don't seem to have the time or enthusiasm for getting stuck into long games like Red Dead any more.  I probably play through 1or 2 games a year.  And my Xbox One just died and I'm seriously considering not bothering to replace it until the next generation come out next autumn.

I've hooked up my old Wii and busted out Mario Kart, that and Sega Bass Fishing will probably keep me going until the PS5 drops.

I’m the same. Red Dead II has sat basically unplayed because it takes so much time just to get to a point where I’m allowed to save my progress. Haven’t touched God Of War in months because I know it’ll suck up hours if I do. Crash Team Racing, however, I can spend 5 minutes on, then turn off if there’s something else I’ve got to do. I know there are so many great games out there but I’m very much a pick up and play sporadic short bursts gamer now.

CTR also has offline multiplayer which unbelievably is now so much of a novelty they’ve used it as a selling point. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Probably a bit of an obvious one but staying up late drinking especially on a work night. I do on occasion if I have a quiet Saturday at work go out on a Friday until 11 or 12, even when the beer consumption is moderate it kills me the next day, if it's heavy that's the day after done in too. Much rather have a few afternoon drinks in the sun, eat and go home early these days but the lure of a night out gets me on occasion. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Sadly, I agree. I don't know if it's to do with the fact that modern games are just so fucking huge though, it's just such a huge undertaking. If I do play games it's ones that I can do in a couple of hours. Are there many modern examples of short playing time games, like Limbo for example, which was also a brilliant game?

Yeah I don't think any of you are too old for gaming, you're just too old for a particular type of game. As much as I liked the idea of Red Dead in theory I knew I'd never be willing to commit the kind of time to it required to play it properly. But I still regularly enjoy other games that can better fit in to my schedule.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah I don't think any of you are too old for gaming, you're just too old for a particular type of game. As much as I liked the idea of Red Dead in theory I knew I'd never be willing to commit the kind of time to it required to play it properly. But I still regularly enjoy other games that can better fit in to my schedule.

Any examples? Preferably ones where I don't need to watch strategy guides on YouTube and also not have to read the instructions.