Wrestling journalism

RedRooster

So yesterday morning I woke up and checked Twitter, as you do, and saw a report from Meltzer claiming that WWE was in talks to buy Fite TV.

I hummed and hawed about whether to create a thread or place it in minor news, mainly because I didn’t trust it. In the end I did neither, Fite denied it was true and that was that.

I used the bite on every word that Meltzer said and treat the Observer like the gospel truth. These days though I feel cynical about almost everything he says. Social media and wrestler/personality led podcasts (yes, I realise they have their own agendas) have helped expose Meltzer’s reporting as being rather hit-and-miss, certainly far more than I’d previously believed anyway. 

And that (finally) leads me to my question. What’s your opinion on wrestling journalism? Do you trust it? Who, if anyone, do you put stock in? Has your opinion changed in recent years and if so, what caused it?

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Da Meltz is privy to quite a bit of news before it becomes official. The observer mentioned something about talks being lined up at some point. If there is truth to it, they can't very well come out and say "yeah, man" 

Companies don’t usually comment if there’s truth in something. It’s usually a case of silence being damning.

That’s not to say that there’s not an utter disconnect between whoever handles their social media/PR and higher ups, but it’s certainly unusual for that to happen.

Having said all if that, I’m talking about wrestling journalism in a wider sense and what people think about it as opposed to this specific story, or even Dave Meltzer specifically. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I have a few I tend to trust as reliable, legitimate journalists, with John Pollock of Post Wrestling at the top. Himself and Wai Ting may not be to everyone's taste for podcasts but Pollock is great at providing sources and acting like an actual trained journo rather than some bloke who happens to be connected who runs a newsletter, when reporting news.

I like John Pollock's work, the Post Wrestling hangouts cover interesting ground and the guy has a clear head on his shoulders. Also enjoy the reviews that him and Wai Ting do. Listening to them chat WWE feels like a better use of my time than watching the shows these days. Love Wai's soft, sing-song voice too.

Dave is Dave. Great reading his historical stuff. Great numbers, bios, knowledge of territories and all that good stuff. His taste in wrestling stinks and has got worse over the years, but it is what it is. Best thing about Meltz though is his awkwardness. I dunno if he's genuinely autistic or simply a massively socially unaware wrestling nerd, but I love him repeatedly digging himself into holes, both on his podcast and twitter. Entertains the fuck outta me. He's perfect fuel for Twitter outrage. Meltz turning into Dr Dave and trying to be the authority on Roman's leukaemia diagnosis was a classic, as was him putting his foot in his mouth with the whole "Peyton Royce used to be . . . lighter" stuff. A legend and prize plonker.