Facts that make you feel old

Chilly McFreeze

• Moderators
On 1/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, mim731 said:

Not a fact necessarily, but seeing all the people on social media getting anxious/excited about trying to getting tickets for a My Chemical Romance reunion gig, when they are a band I was already too old for in their prime, makes me feel ancient. 

This girl I work with got tickets and is super excited about it. It definitely made me feel old!

• Members
13 minutes ago, Monkee said:

I had to explain to someone I work with who Dick Dastardly and Muttley are ☹️

This reminds me that when I was 15 or 16 and a “rapper” I came up with the line “Even if your girls a Muttley I’d still Dick her Dastardly” which has made me cringe so hard I’ve gone inside myself.

And it grammatically makes no sense.

• Paid Members

You & Me Song by the Wannadies came on at work the other day. I was talking about it with one of my colleagues when we realised it came out before he was even a mischievous glimmer in his daddy's eye.

• Paid Members

I also had a reminder today thanks to Facebook that I was at a festival in Sydney EIGHTEEN years ago today. Meh. Bands playing included Prodigy, System of a Down, Silverchair, New Order, Jurassic 5 and Alien Ant Farm. I also got extremely sunburnt.

I once worked with a girl who’d never heard of Doctor Who. She was 18 at the time. This was around 2002-2003 when Doctor Who had been off the BBC for a long time so it’s kind of understandable but I was still shocked.

The reason things from the 90s/2000s/etc seem more recent than did the 60s/70s at that point is that globalisation and digital technology have zombified pop culture in a way that means old forms (at least those which emerged since the advent of mass media in the 50s/60s) never die away in the way that they once did.

Mark Fisher and Simon Reynolds and those boys call it ‘hauntology’. We’re ‘haunted’ by our cultural past through digital media in a way that people in the 90s and before weren’t.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Pinc said:

The reason things from the 90s/2000s/etc seem more recent than did the 60s/70s at that point is that globalisation and digital technology have zombified pop culture in a way that means old forms (at least those which emerged since the advent of mass media in the 50s/60s) never die away in the way that they once did.

Mark Fisher and Simon Reynolds and those boys call it ‘hauntology’. We’re ‘haunted’ by our cultural past through digital media in a way that people in the 90s and before weren’t.

I talk about this in terms of music a lot, that a shift towards streaming media has seen certain forms of music more or less freeze in the popular imagination - if you go to a Rock/Metal club, chances are you'll hear the same playlist that you would have done ten years earlier. Every covers band plays "the classics" and then a hodgepodge of songs from 2000-2005; Stereophonics, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs et al.

I've always put it done to the overwhelming nature of choice - when the music you hear is dictated by radio, the music press, and what you can find in the shops, your experience is being curated. To find an album by an obscure band you love in a local record shop, or to hear a new track that blew your mind on the radio, was a moment you'd remember, and would dictate your purchases, and therefore your taste. Now, with Amazon, YouTube or Spotify open in front of me, I could find every single one of those albums by obscure bands and have them all in an instant, but there's just so much of it that I don't know where to begin, so I end up not listening to any of it, just retreating to a safer choice. That seems like a near universal experience for all but my most committed muso friends, and I see it reflected in the tastes of students at work, and younger people I know.

You're right around the hauntology aspect, though - a lot of hauntology deals with ephemera. Years ago I watched a classic Doctor Who serial on DVD with commentary, and Tom Baker remarked on how tightly plotted and detailed the story was, considering they had thought it would just be ephemera; played once, and forgotten about, not being revisited decades later. There was never any suggestion that a lot of TV, and indeed a lot of more disposable music, back then would be remembered decades in the future - and in the case of TV, that it would ever be repeated, or recorded at home. A piece of media would reach the end of its life cycle, and then it would be done, it would fade away. Part of the reason we have "prestige TV" is because that sense of ephemera has been replaced by the assumption that people will binge watch, or repeatedly watch the same show.

But, for whatever reason - again, I think it's a combination of the two things I've mentioned, plus a corporate culture stunting the creativity of radio and decline of music print journalism - music just doesn't go away any more. Hearing "Crazy In Love" on Radio 1 today wouldn't seem at all unusual, but it's the equivalent to listening to Radio 1 on the day that song came out and hearing Falco or Five Star.

• Paid Members

I saw that Sleeper released an album last year, gave it a listen. Sounds like it could have come out when they were at their peak. Their first album turns 25 this year. I bet Louise Wener's kids are the same age I was when I bought that album. 

• Members

@BomberPat that is a really excellent point you make to be honest.

I find the amount of media out there completely overwhelming, and it doesn't really stay with you.

Take Game Of Thrones for instance. I watched all of it, really enjoyed the last series and watched all of those episodes in an attentive state and discussed it with friends and family members the week they came out. Apart from the main plot point coming away from the finale, I would really struggle if you asked me what else happened in the final series.

Contrast this to when The Sopranos ended. If we'd talked about the final series anytime in the 6 months since it finished, I would've been able to discuss every single plot detail with you.

Surely it can't be because my memory is shot as I usually have a good recall, but it's definitely something.