Supremo

• Paid Members

2 weeks after SummerSlam 97, I watched it on DSF. With no internet and wrestling still being shockingly uncool to the lads at school, I had to wait a fortnight to see it. The Saturday night was actually night of the Princess of Wales car crash. I was sleeping at my mate Simon's that night. His Mam dropped me off at my house and I was greeted by my Dad at the door with the words "Princess Diana's dead and Bret Hart won the belt."

Thought Becky and Natalya was ok. Sloppy, but didn't overstay its welcome. Crowd being into it elevated a great deal, because some of the transition sequences where they were moving from one hold to another had to potential to kill off a less enthusiastic crowd. Wouldn't have been my choice for an opener, but eh. No idea where Becky goes from now. Shayna might well be the only option at this stage. 

Didn't understand Goldberg vs Ziggler when it was booked, still don't understand it now. I'm sure we'll understand the purpose of Goldberg murdering Dolph post-match some day. Was it meant to elevate Dolph's FIGHTING SPIRIT? It just made him look like a twat. Goldberg looked great, mind. I'll always have time for him murdering someone.

The R-Truth stuff was great.

Ricochet vs AJ was a good match that suffered a bit from its placement and the time constraints. I thought Ricochet's selling was really spotty throughout, and the OC interference didn't really need to exist but it was a good enough match. I enjoyed the very basic psychology of AJ trying to wipe out Ricochet's leg to try and differentiate it from their other matches, though. Probably a match that suited AJ more now he's winding down in-ring. Finish was great too, probably smoother than the time AJ tried it with Ibushi. Post-match stuff was weird though - does Ricochet not have any mates?

I do have to admire Owens' commitment of taking some big bumps to make his match with Shane work. I think he looked great here. Even Shane didn't disgrace himself. Absolutely no chance they don't drag this out a while longer though, with Owens hitting Shane low, which I can't be arsed for. All this needed to be was a definitive win where Shane gets his arse kicked and Owens looks good in winning. Can't talk about this match without ragging on the camera work when KO was smacking Elias about with the chair. Fucking state of it.

Survivor Series promo merely exists to make me want to re-watch Bryan vs Lesnar. What a match that was.

Odd that, using a Reigns/Bryan/Rowan/Joe video to segue straight into Charlotte vs Trish. Surely a production blooper? 

Charlotte/Trish was way better than I expected, mind. Charlotte really is the absolute business. The best worker on the women's main roster by a considerable distance. She really demonstrated how strong she is during this. Presence, charisma, facial expressions, garnering heat. All really on point. Nice moment post-match with Trish getting the hometown reception. Really well done. This is how you should have part-timers from years back giving the rub to the current roster. Charlotte is brilliant.

I haven't been keeping up much with Smackdown, but that video package was fan-bloody-tastic. What an amazing job that did. Instantly made me care more about this match more than any WWE match since Bryan/Kofi at Wrestlemania. Thought this was a great performance by Orton, similarly to Charlotte in the prior match. Then they went and used a really flat finish for the sake of having a rematch. Such a lacklustre way for this to end. Was really enjoying this until the finish.

That entrance for The Fiend is immense. Absolutely fantastic production on that. The commentary team were woeful throughout this. Absolutely no concept of "show not tell". Obviously the gimmick loses a fair chunk when the bell rings, but I think they handled it alright. Surely the booking of this can't be messed up? Fiend runs wild on television for a few months, Balor returns as the Demon, big spooky blow-off match on PPV. Let's see how they manage to piss about with that. I really enjoyed this as a showcase for Bray's new shtick.

Brock spinning Rollins around with his waist tape is spot of the year. Fuck your Canadian Destroyers and 630's. That's the sort of wrestling I want to see. Best thing that Seth's been a part of in what feels like forever. Selling was dodgy, but that closing stretch was brilliant. Really brilliant drama and a perfect way to put Rollins over clean as a whistle. Of course, I've absolutely zero faith they keep up this momentum after that match, but they've set themselves up to succeed on the back of that. Brock is absolutely amazing. Bumping his arse off, making all of Seth's stuff look great. I hope he sticks around forever. He really is brilliant.

Edited by AdamTH17

What a home run they've hit with Wyatt and The Fiend, the whole production is terrifying.

Rollins vs. Lesnar turned out really good. Seth now has to get us invested in him some how. Be interesting to see who his next challenger is given the lack of top heels on Raw at the moment.

Not sure why Ricochet would want to cover up one of the best physiques in the company either! I'd lose that vest if I was him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Winston said:

What a home run they've hit with Wyatt and The Fiend, the whole production is terrifying.

Rollins vs. Lesnar turned out really good. Seth now has to get us invested in him some how. Be interesting to see who his next challenger is given the lack of top heels on Raw at the moment.

Not sure why Ricochet would want to cover up one of the best physiques in the company either! I'd lose that vest if I was him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he'd been told to cover up so as not to embarrass whichever cruiserweight's gimmick is having a good physique. 

• Paid Members

I am glad I am not 6 still, because The Fiend's entrance was horrific! That said, I didn't like the neck twist spot, especially when kids always try this at home.

The event all in all was a step up from Takeover which is very unusual. Some standouts, Goldberg v Ziggler was great and redeemed him from Saudi. The woman's title match was good, I really believed in Natty which was a nice change. AJ/Ricochet was good but lacked something. I think AJ is running out of fumes. And though I hate the outcome, Brock did a good job against Seth. All in all, a pretty good show   

Ziggler was perfect opponent to redeem Goldberg. A simple effective squash and the Black Knight baiting from Ziggler was well played. That said, Goldberg should call it a day because there's no variety in moveset (I know he's limited due to age but spears and jackhammers could benefit from something else...)

Brock is still the best thing they've got despite a poor result. 

Trish did a decent job but that was Charlotte's match. 

For some reason the Edge Elias segment annoyed me. Edges spear has always looked weak as piss and it didn't add anything to the show.

One of the better shows this year mind you.

Edited by Wideload90