Supremo

38 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Look at the length of some of those old Summerslam events on the Network! Fucking hell, full events over in a little over two and a half hours! Take me back!

image.thumb.png.3e94c807147a93b953d4a1c459ae10a6.png

Confession: other than the clip of that kid saying Bulldog's going to win whether he wants to or not, I've never actually seen Summerslam 92. It was just before my time and I've never gotten around to it. Reckon it holds up?

Other than the Bulldog vs Bret match, it is a dreadful show - boring matches with terrible finishes all over the card

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's shite. Taker's and LOD's entrances are great and Bulldog/Bret is still very good - plus the atmosphere is incredible and different - but it's a poor show. Warrior/Savage is disappointing too. Not terrible but not a patch on Mania 7.

I find it an interesting show as a moment in time as it's the first big show/ PPV without Hogan and this show and Survivor Series 92 are for me the beginning of what would become the New Generation era. However outside of Brett/ Davey it is a glorified house show in many ways with a card that went against the storylines in many places, terrible matches and shit finishes.

Warrior/Savage suffered imo because in they were never switching the Title in the UK in 1992 and neither was taking a big loss, so the match was booked around getting themselves out of a decisive result.

They did try to make it more interesting with the addition of Flair but that ended on a bland note as well.

It's hilarious in a tragic way how utterly fucked Seth Rollins is. Win, lose or draw, I don't see how he comes away from tonight without looking like a reject geek with a stench about him. I don't even think Roman's felt this damaged heading into a big match, and Roman is the most pathetically pushed 'top guy' in wrestling history.

Honestly, he has so much negative momentum that even The Hangman and Ember Moon should feel embarrassed for him.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, Supremo said:

Confession: other than the clip of that kid saying Bulldog's going to win whether he wants to or not, I've never actually seen Summerslam 92. It was just before my time and I've never gotten around to it. Reckon it holds up?

The Model Rick Martel vs Shawn Michaels is my favourite match on the show. Loved the mini build up to this and the match was fun to watch. Sherri was the star in this.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

The Staples Centre years are when all the shows blurred together, for me. LA is a shit crowd, always has been. Dems that are too laid back to be like Chicago or New York, but too trendy to be a good, traditional heat town. I know not everyone's a massive nerd for remembering buildings, but the Staples Centre's a crap building. 

Sorry, but that's bollocks. I was there in 2013 and 2014 and the crowd was excellent most of the way through. I went to several Raws and a Hell in a Cell and the crowd reactions was never less than good. Even the house shows had decent reactions, but this was a few years ago now. Staples was always solid. 

Does WWE get good reactions anywhere they go these days? 

1 hour ago, lightningxlock said:

Apologies if this has been covered but have any matches been announced for the pre show? I saw a list of 'rumoured matches' and there was about 6 on that. 

Nothing's been announced, but apparently 3 matches will be on the kick off show, including the Cruiserweight title match.

• Paid Members

So they spent the week cutting back on the PPV matches, putting some of them on free TV instead, then come the day of the show they just add a bunch of unannounced matches that haven’t even been promoted!

Can you even imagine what it must be like working under Vince. He’s an absolute nutter.

• Paid Members

2 weeks after SummerSlam 97, I watched it on DSF. With no internet and wrestling still being shockingly uncool to the lads at school, I had to wait a fortnight to see it. The Saturday night was actually night of the Princess of Wales car crash. I was sleeping at my mate Simon's that night. His Mam dropped me off at my house and I was greeted by my Dad at the door with the words "Princess Diana's dead and Bret Hart won the belt."

Thought Becky and Natalya was ok. Sloppy, but didn't overstay its welcome. Crowd being into it elevated a great deal, because some of the transition sequences where they were moving from one hold to another had to potential to kill off a less enthusiastic crowd. Wouldn't have been my choice for an opener, but eh. No idea where Becky goes from now. Shayna might well be the only option at this stage. 

Didn't understand Goldberg vs Ziggler when it was booked, still don't understand it now. I'm sure we'll understand the purpose of Goldberg murdering Dolph post-match some day. Was it meant to elevate Dolph's FIGHTING SPIRIT? It just made him look like a twat. Goldberg looked great, mind. I'll always have time for him murdering someone.

The R-Truth stuff was great.

Ricochet vs AJ was a good match that suffered a bit from its placement and the time constraints. I thought Ricochet's selling was really spotty throughout, and the OC interference didn't really need to exist but it was a good enough match. I enjoyed the very basic psychology of AJ trying to wipe out Ricochet's leg to try and differentiate it from their other matches, though. Probably a match that suited AJ more now he's winding down in-ring. Finish was great too, probably smoother than the time AJ tried it with Ibushi. Post-match stuff was weird though - does Ricochet not have any mates?

I do have to admire Owens' commitment of taking some big bumps to make his match with Shane work. I think he looked great here. Even Shane didn't disgrace himself. Absolutely no chance they don't drag this out a while longer though, with Owens hitting Shane low, which I can't be arsed for. All this needed to be was a definitive win where Shane gets his arse kicked and Owens looks good in winning. Can't talk about this match without ragging on the camera work when KO was smacking Elias about with the chair. Fucking state of it.

Survivor Series promo merely exists to make me want to re-watch Bryan vs Lesnar. What a match that was.

Odd that, using a Reigns/Bryan/Rowan/Joe video to segue straight into Charlotte vs Trish. Surely a production blooper? 

Charlotte/Trish was way better than I expected, mind. Charlotte really is the absolute business. The best worker on the women's main roster by a considerable distance. She really demonstrated how strong she is during this. Presence, charisma, facial expressions, garnering heat. All really on point. Nice moment post-match with Trish getting the hometown reception. Really well done. This is how you should have part-timers from years back giving the rub to the current roster. Charlotte is brilliant.

I haven't been keeping up much with Smackdown, but that video package was fan-bloody-tastic. What an amazing job that did. Instantly made me care more about this match more than any WWE match since Bryan/Kofi at Wrestlemania. Thought this was a great performance by Orton, similarly to Charlotte in the prior match. Then they went and used a really flat finish for the sake of having a rematch. Such a lacklustre way for this to end. Was really enjoying this until the finish.

That entrance for The Fiend is immense. Absolutely fantastic production on that. The commentary team were woeful throughout this. Absolutely no concept of "show not tell". Obviously the gimmick loses a fair chunk when the bell rings, but I think they handled it alright. Surely the booking of this can't be messed up? Fiend runs wild on television for a few months, Balor returns as the Demon, big spooky blow-off match on PPV. Let's see how they manage to piss about with that. I really enjoyed this as a showcase for Bray's new shtick.

Brock spinning Rollins around with his waist tape is spot of the year. Fuck your Canadian Destroyers and 630's. That's the sort of wrestling I want to see. Best thing that Seth's been a part of in what feels like forever. Selling was dodgy, but that closing stretch was brilliant. Really brilliant drama and a perfect way to put Rollins over clean as a whistle. Of course, I've absolutely zero faith they keep up this momentum after that match, but they've set themselves up to succeed on the back of that. Brock is absolutely amazing. Bumping his arse off, making all of Seth's stuff look great. I hope he sticks around forever. He really is brilliant.

Edited by AdamTH17