Supremo

• Paid Members

image.thumb.png.f3370750b899f7152e32a9f08c959363.png

Current Card

Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Seth Rollins (Universal Championship)

Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Randy Orton (WWE Championship)

Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon

Becky Lynch (c) vs. Natalya (Raw Women’s Championship)

Bayley (c) vs. Ember Moon (SmackDown Women’s Championship)

Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt

Rumoured additions:

Charlotte Flair vs. Trish Stratus

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Ali (Intercontinental Championship)

The IIconics vs. The Kabuki Warriors vs. Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville (Women's Tag Championship)

I used to love Summerslam. For years, it was my favourite show of the year. WWE's second biggest PPV of the year, slap bang in the middle of the Summer Holidays! I've got vivid memories of spending all day playing outside with my mates, then staying up late for the PPV, safe in the knowledge I didn't have to worry about school. 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2002 still remain some of my favourite shows of all time. Even in recent years, it was always a show I was excited about. Fuck knows what happened this year though because despite being two weeks away absolutely nobody is talking about this show and it's easily one of the most lackluster Summerslam cards in as long as I can remember. Nothing on the show feels can't-miss. They're just a bunch of matches happening between some people. Even the Trish vs. Charlotte match, which you can tell they think is a big match, doesn't feel particularly special or exciting. Hard to care when Charlotte hasn't been around for months. It really hammers home what a rut they're in when one of their biggest shows of the year feels so underwhelming and all of their top stars feel like such damaged goods.

You only have to look at that poster. As brilliantly colourful and vibrant as it might be, every fucker on there is a shell of their former self. The faces they're all pulling, it's almost as if everyone knows how fucked they are too, but Kofi's still just happy to be here.

The ultra-over Seth from this time last year is now a tragic failure, coming off a piss poor run as Universal Champion, most remembered for what a twat he made of himself on Twitter.

Roman, despite actually beating cancer for real like a fucking hero, is now a complete afterthought, covered in the stink of a bad Shane McMahon feud, and doesn't even have a match of the card! Still, nice to see their obsession with Roman having blue eyes is still present on the poster, even if they gave up on the weird, distracting contact lenses ages ago.

For all intents and purposes Brock should be their biggest star. I'll never ever get over how much they fucked him up and conditioned the fans to hate him and feel such apathy towards his Title runs. It's not even like they built up heel heat, the entire focus is on disliking the man and the company for rewarding someone who's only in it for the money. I've got a mate who's a supposed smart fan that's always banging on about how much he hates Brock for being so lazy and hating pro-wrestling. Haven't got the heart to tell him to get a fucking grip and realise he's been worked.

Becky went from the hottest thing in the business to having such an uninteresting women's match that they might as well bring the butterfly belt back. It's crazy to think that the first woman they scripted to finally beat Ronda had such little put in place as a follow up. I'm still baffled as to why they took that Smackdown belt from her. Other than the one-night pop that Bayley got for cashing in, it achieved practically nothing other than cool Becky down massively. Feuding her with someone clearly not ready for the main roster and then teaming her with her dickhead fella didn't help either.

And then there's Kofi, which might be the saddest case of all. Ostensibly, they've done everything right with him. Huge win at Mania, clean wins ever since, but does anyone really see him as a top guy? No matter what they do, he still feels like a mid-card guy holding the belt. He's Jinder Mahal or Jack Swagger, just with pancakes. It's cute that they're finally paying off that Randy Orton feud from a decade ago, it's just a shame that someone like Randy still feels leagues above him.

Hopefully they announce something big on tonight's Raw. Maybe make AJ Styles vs. Ricochet a ladder match for the US Title, or stick a mad stipulation on that Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens match to add some intrigue. Anything to make this card stand out and not feel pathetic compared to All Out.

So yeah, is anyone at all interested in this show? And if not, shall we just discuss some of our favourite Summerslam memories so as to not wallow in what a shit hole this company is currently in? Favourite shows? Favourite matches? For instance, no-one ever seems to talk about it now, but that Fatal Four Way with Samoa Joe, Lesnar, Roman and Strowman from Summerslam 2017 is an absolute banger and arguably one of the WWE's best matches this decade. So much fun. 

tumblr_ov0lbuvqcl1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Edited by Supremo

Great post! Spot on about summerslam as a kid....

i actually went last year, flew up to NY on a whim...this year, probably won’t even bother watching the next day.

So it isn’t totally negative, my favorite summerslam will always be 92 but a special place in my heart for 1998 and highway to Hell. Was the first ppv I watched with a bunch of mates live and we had beer n everything. Ah to be a teenager again! 

• Paid Members

I’m going to Summerslam, so I’m trying to care a bit...

We wanted to go to Toronto anyway so took the opportunity, thankfully it’s not the main reason for going! It’s not a great card on paper, but who knows...

Right now I’m pinning my hopes on the Raw & Smackdown (which we’re also going to) being the first shows of the Heyman/Bischoff eras and being proper bonkers ‘everything changes’ shows.

• Paid Members

Could not give a shit even after a decent Raw. Shame because I'm another who has always loved SummerSlam. @King Pitcos is right, it's not that big a deal anymore but it was and they supposedly were trying to make it so again a few years ago. Not sure what happened to that.

SummerSlam 90 was one of the first PPVs I saw and still a show I adore. Loved 91 at the height of my fandom, was super into the Luger build in 93, 95 is an underrated little show due to the terrible main event rivalry, 97 is one of my most anticipated shows ever, build for 98 is one of the best ever, 2002 was an amazing show. Like everything else, my memory of most since is "cloudy" at best.

Now, apart from the name, it doesn't feel anymore special than any other B show. A real shame because it should be a really saleable brand and lends itself to being a huge Stadium show. Hard to do that though when you've got something like Saudi Shitshow that you're doing that with twice a year.

Summerslam 91 was the first show I ever saw, so the event always has that special place in my heart.

This on paper looks bang average though. Hopefully Brock absolutely murders Rollins, and while Reigns and Joe usually have decent matches together, we’ve seen it before both on PPV and for free on the telly. Kevin Owens feuding with Shane again is uninspired also.

If the rumoured Charlotte v Trish match is happening, does that not just make both of your Women’s Champions look like a pair of chumps? As decorated as Charlotte is, you could do a non-title match with Trish to establish either Becky or Bayley  

I’ll end up watching the show at some point in the week because I always do, but it’s definitely below the G1 Final that happens the following day on the list of priorities 

I think Summerslam is marketed as the second biggest show of the year when in reality the Royal Rumble is, especially since they have now taken it to an open stadium  setting like 'Mania and 'Slam,

Honestly I put it down to a lack of interesting title scene, NOBODY wants or cares for Brock as Champ in 2019, Seth isn't the natural babyface for fans to get behind a chase. Kofi has been fun but it really feels like his 15 mins is coming to an end.

Remember when Becky was the main face of the company? That seems like along time ago now....

• Paid Members

Now that Trish is all but confirmed, I feel like they’ve missed a trick not doing Becky vs. Trish.

I understand what their logic probably is; put Trish against a heel since it’s in her hometown of Toronto, but seriously. A high-profile babyface vs. babyface match where Trish potentially gets more cheers than Becky before losing is still infinitely better than having a match no-one gives a fuck about with Natalya.

Push it as the ultimate dream match, similar to Rock vs. Hogan, have Trish endorse Becky after losing clean and you’ll go a long way to rehabbing what a mess Becky has become.

Edited by Supremo

19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Now that Trish is all but confirmed, I feel like they’ve missed a trick not doing Becky vs. Trish.

I understand what their logic probably is; put Trish against a heel since it’s in her hometown of Toronto, but seriously. A high-profile babyface vs. babyface match where Trish potentially gets more cheers than Becky before losing is still infinitely better than having a match no-one gives a fuck about with Natalya.

Push it as the ultimate dream match, similar to Rock vs. Hogan, have Trish endorse Becky after losing clean and you’ll go a long way to rehabbing what a mess Becky has become.

I think thats the plan, Charlotte is a bigger name than Becky, Charlotte is the GOAT of this era, Trish is the GOAT of her era. Its the womens version of Hogan v The Rock.

• Paid Members

Always loved SummerSlam. If 'Mania didn't deliver, I always pegged my hopes on the "HOTTEST SHOW OF THE SUMMER!" to deliver the goods.

The thing is that they've stacked the SummerSlam card so much in recent years that it's never delivered to it's fullest potential. Yeah you might get a good match here or there but as whole they don't so themselves justice. I think that farce in Brooklyn set them on a full-on downward spiral.

Now looking at this year's card, there's not much going on. Maybe the lowered expectations will help with putting on a satisfying show? Who knows. I've not watched a WWE show since MITB, and it'll likely be my last WWE show before December/January , so I hope they go balls-to-the-wall.

Edited by Accident Prone

I thought things would pick up once Baron Corbin and Lacey Evan's were out of the big picture, but nope! Card looks shite, no interest in it.

Unbelievable that Roman Reigns doesn't have a match yet. His beautiful "I'm in remission ya'll" speech was what, six months ago? Now he feels less relevant than he ever did. Who is there for him? Samoa Joe is the only main event level talker they have, but he's Bo Dallas at this point. Does anyone give a shit about Drew McIntyre anymore? The lack of strong heel contenders has been hurting them all year and their face champions have suffered because of it.

Where's Braun Strowman?

They'll win me back whenever they do something good with Becky Lynch again. Seeing Asuka is now a nothing in a non-existent tag division and that they brought back Trish Stratus to work with Charlotte, I don't think that'll be anytime soon.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I wish Becky was in a position to be able to have a match with Trish but she's so watered down and meandering right now, it'd be a complete waste.

As opposed to Charlotte who is barely on TV and lost in a minute to someone the other week? It's a whole division problem not just Becky. Look at the state of Bayley and Sasha a few months ago. Somehow the only acts in the women's division who haven't been slaughtered (by being on TV) since Mania have been the Iconics and Nicki Cross.