Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

Revisiting an old joke:

Dermott Desmond and Steven Gerrard go for a few pints. One looks up at a shelf and says "that's a fucking magic lantern". So they both give it a rub and, sure enough, this Genie appears and grants each a wish.

Dermott says "sort the team out and go the rest of the season unbeaten to build momentum". Gerrard asks for the same but for the unbeaten spell to last the 2021 to 2022 season so Rangers claim the SPFL, League Cup, Scottish Cup and most of all the Champions League".

Genie snaps at Gerrard, calling him a fucking  greedy Scouse cunt. Gerrard turns to the Genie and says

ALL TOGETHER NOW

"He fucking started it".

14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Wow, he got started on another Destroy & Exit really quick.

IMG-20210419-WA0004.jpg

No way is Levy paying him £30 million to leave. Although if he is, I wonder if he'll just take Sissoko as payment? 

Edited by stewdogg

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So we finally got Ange Postecoglou. To be honest, it's an appointment that excites me and I can't wait to see what he can do. It also annoys me how blinded so many fans can be to football outside of Europe (hell, outside the UK more like). It's a guy who has found success at pretty much every job he's had - brought Brisbane Roar to the A-League title, gave Yokohama F-Marinos their first J-League championship in 15 years and even won the Asian Cup (that side of the world's equivalent of the Euros) with historically poor Australia.  Folk who harp on about "but it wasn't real opposition!" are elitist as fuck in my mind. I hate this mentality that if it isn't football played in the UK then it's a "farmer's league" or whatever hilarity you're seeing on the Match of the Day Facebook page that afternoon. I would have taken this guy over Eddie Howe even before that merry dance got underway - managing the Japanese champions sounds far more interesting to me than managing Bournemouth. 

The question now is: will Ange be given time. If he doesn't, then this whole appointment will be shambles and totally pointless but if he is given that wee bit of patience to put his stamp on things then I'm excited to see what he can do. Of course, that is a somewhat large "if" given that Celtic Football Club are about to undergo their biggest rebuilding job, perhaps in my lifetime. But fuck it, I'm being optimistic! 

Totally an aside but by God I love when we have an international tournament (especially when we're in it!!!) to plug that dull monotonous gap between seasons. 

• Paid Members

Celtic went ahead and appointed Postecoglou and it's not a bad appointment by any means but it struggles to inspire me right now.

He likes to play direct and press teams off the ball aggressively, so in that regard you'd hope with the switch in quality we should have over other teams in the league (bar 1) we can just keep the ball off them, seems to enjoy working with wide wingers as well which will help if we can keep getting balls into the box for headers. 

It'll be interesting to see how we do in the transfer market and just how much gets shipped out this summer.

You're right about his quality as a manager though, reading through some data on how he managed to revitalise Marinos makes an interesting read.

5 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

So we finally got Ange Postecoglou. To be honest, it's an appointment that excites me and I can't wait to see what he can do. It also annoys me how blinded so many fans can be to football outside of Europe (hell, outside the UK more like). It's a guy who has found success at pretty much every job he's had - brought Brisbane Roar to the A-League title, gave Yokohama F-Marinos their first J-League championship in 15 years and even won the Asian Cup (that side of the world's equivalent of the Euros) with historically poor Australia.  Folk who harp on about "but it wasn't real opposition!" are elitist as fuck in my mind. I hate this mentality that if it isn't football played in the UK then it's a "farmer's league" or whatever hilarity you're seeing on the Match of the Day Facebook page that afternoon. I would have taken this guy over Eddie Howe even before that merry dance got underway - managing the Japanese champions sounds far more interesting to me than managing Bournemouth. 

The question now is: will Ange be given time. If he doesn't, then this whole appointment will be shambles and totally pointless but if he is given that wee bit of patience to put his stamp on things then I'm excited to see what he can do. Of course, that is a somewhat large "if" given that Celtic Football Club are about to undergo their biggest rebuilding job, perhaps in my lifetime. But fuck it, I'm being optimistic! 

Totally an aside but by God I love when we have an international tournament (especially when we're in it!!!) to plug that dull monotonous gap between seasons. 

With budget comparisons to other clubs, his other jobs were far tougher. I'm hoping he gives young guys a chance as Lenny and Kennedy seemed to ignore Connell, O'Connor, Dembele and Montgomery. However they still managed to give game time to bloody Kenny, Brown and Laxalt (who were all leaving and none played well). 

Ajeti and possibly Griff as our only strikers, I'd try and bring in 2 and consider getting shot of Griff. Taylor will be our only experienced full back which is worrying. Jullien the only experienced centre back and he is injured. While we are weak on the left wing I think we can cope in midfield for a bit anyway. We need to get some signings quickly. 

I haven’t heard any external criticism of his appointment. All criticism is of the process we’ve gone through to appoint him. We’ve taken 106 days to appoint a guy that could have been given the job on day 6. 

We let Howe lead us on a merry dance publicly for almost 3 months and have now had to appoint a second choice candidate. He’s now going to miss the first few days of pre season due to quarantine and therefor I guess any signings are many weeks away. And we still don’t have a DoF in place. 

We’ve basically managed to stretch out changing a manager so that it potentially costs us 2 seasons. 

1 hour ago, MrK said:

I haven’t heard any external criticism of his appointment. All criticism is of the process we’ve gone through to appoint him. We’ve taken 106 days to appoint a guy that could have been given the job on day 6. 

We let Howe lead us on a merry dance publicly for almost 3 months and have now had to appoint a second choice candidate. He’s now going to miss the first few days of pre season due to quarantine and therefor I guess any signings are many weeks away. And we still don’t have a DoF in place. 

We’ve basically managed to stretch out changing a manager so that it potentially costs us 2 seasons. 

It's the kind of manager that should have been appointed in September or October last year, and if made then I think this would have been a great appointment. He could have started recruitment in January building for this season. 

Also I doubt a Director of Football is coming, that's always been a rumour and I don't think it will happen for a long time. The Celtic structure is old and I don't see it modernising. If one does come in it will just be one of the jobs for the bhoys.