Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I remember Celtic also having John Collins around that time. Had a lot of hype around him, to the point that that Monaco team signed him.

John Collins left Celtic in 1996. These players discussed were the early 2000's.

I can't see a day Celtic or Rangers have players of that sort of calibre again to be honest unless something dramatically changes in the landscape of football. As a Celtic fan, we can barely compete with teams in terms of finances that I would consider much smaller clubs. Everyone talks about how we should be doing what teams like Ajax and Salzburg (not saying Ajax are smaller club btw) are when really we're a much smaller country than Holland in terms of Ajax and do not have the work permit benefits that Salzburg do when it comes to signing Brazilians and the likes. I didn't even vote for Brexit but it's the only thing I can see that might aid Celtic or Rangers depending on how relationships land with South American countries but may make it even more difficult signing players from Europe.

Celtic and Rangers will dominate Scottish football for as far as the eye can see but they have no hope of getting back to competing in Europe again or signing top class players like they used to be able to unless they get out of the Scottish league to be honest which I don't see happening.

Edited by FUM

3 minutes ago, FUM said:

Celtic and Rangers will dominate Scottish football for as far as the eye can see but they have no hope of getting back to competing in Europe again or signing top class players like they used to be able to unless they get out of the Scottish league to be honest which I don't see happening.

And let’s hope they don’t. I agree it’s unfair to make the comparison with Ajax. Scottish football has always done exceptional for the size of the country in my opinion. When you look at similar countries with that population, Scottish teams seem better. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, FUM said:

John Collins left Celtic in 1996. These players discussed were the early 2000's.

It was just the mention of Lambert - he was there roughly around a similar time to Collins, no?

6 minutes ago, David said:

I see a lot of very good players mentioned over the past few pages, but world class? That's a stretch.

Henrik Larsson is the only world class player Scotland has seen since 2000. I don't think that's even up for debate. 

Agreed. I guess “World Class” is subjective but for me in this context it’s the player would regularly make the team for any club. Larsson did this with Barca and Man Utd but I don’t think anyone else from the time period would’ve done the same. Gio was excellent but I’d put him in the next category down. But that’s me and unfortunately my rules aren’t the official rules. Yet. 

1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

I mean they’ve seen the bestest sexiest defender the world has ever seen as recently as the last ten years he just wasn’t world class yet.

True. Southampton really know how to develop talent into world class. 

4 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I mean they’ve seen the bestest sexiest defender the world has ever seen as recently as the last ten years he just wasn’t world class yet.

Most Celtic fans seen it to be fair. I remember specifically posting on Facebook the night Barcelona pumped us 6-1 saying how I'd never seen a defender put in such a good performance while conceding 6 goals. Never for a moment thought he'd have looked out of place in the opposing side in that game.

• Paid Members
On 3/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, RedRooster said:

You can't see Keane doing well, or you couldn't see him coming in? Obviously it's looking more likely since you posted this, but I think it would be an absolutely insane appointment, if Celtic were to go ahead with it. His track record as a manager is abysmal.

I think it could work, but he would have to work with people around him like he did in Ireland to reign in his shit. Have a "Director of Football" above him, and give him an "Assistant" that will be the next manager once Keane blows a fuse. He certainly won't wind up people the way Lennon did. He'll always have Sky as his master. You think he'd be giving that up?

On 3/30/2021 at 4:42 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

I think it could work, but he would have to work with people around him like he did in Ireland to reign in his shit. Have a "Director of Football" above him, and give him an "Assistant" that will be the next manager once Keane blows a fuse. He certainly won't wind up people the way Lennon did. He'll always have Sky as his master. You think he'd be giving that up?

Well, of course he won't. Keane is a Catholic born in Cork, while Lennon is a Catholic born in Lurgan. We all know what it was that "wound people up" about that.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Well, of course he won't. Keane is a Catholic born in Cork, while Lennon is a Catholic born in Lurgan. We all know what it was that "wound people up" about that.

Did Martin O’Neill get the same level of vitriol that the Lurgan Bigot (copyright: David) got?  Was it Strachan who got a bullet sent in the post as well?

25 minutes ago, ElCece said:

Naah, Neil Lennon is an abrasive knob and that is what winds most people up.

There's been a lot of those types in Scottish football over the years, and few if any have had the type of attention Neil Lennon has. Especially from one particular section of Scottish society.

To go back to top players plying their trade in Scotland, Lubomir Moravcik is one of the most underrated players to ever play the game. I hate the phrase 'world class', but Moravcik was a wizard. He could use either foot and was a simply mesmerising player. In this case, some of the quotes out there from top players about him tell their own story. It's a shame that his best exposure was in his mid-to-late 30s at Celtic and we didn't get to see more of him in these isles, but what a player.