Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

On 3/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jonny Vegas said:

Keane is someone I'd love to come in and do well but I just cannot see it sadly.

You can't see Keane doing well, or you couldn't see him coming in? Obviously it's looking more likely since you posted this, but I think it would be an absolutely insane appointment, if Celtic were to go ahead with it. His track record as a manager is abysmal.

• Paid Members

Apart from that season where he managed to get Sunderland from 23rd to winning the Championship. 

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

You can't see Keane doing well, or you couldn't see him coming in? Obviously it's looking more likely since you posted this, but I think it would be an absolutely insane appointment, if Celtic were to go ahead with it. His track record as a manager is abysmal.

Can't see him doing well. His style of management just doesn't seem like it would be successful nowadays and he doesn't seem the type to change. We're probably going to need 8-10 players out the door and 8-10 back in. We also are going to need a new captain with gigantic shoes to fill and I don't have faith in his capability to deal with any of that. 

He was struggling 10 years ago hence why he just settled on the punditry. It just seems a bizarre appointment if Celtic did. I still think it'll be Enzo Maresca  nearly every favourite for the Celtic job hasn't ended up getting it.

I listen to the brilliant Under (Undr) The Cosh football podcasts and nearly ever player who played for him doesn't paint a brilliant picture. In an age of increasingly prima donna style players I think he'd struggle massively.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Apart from that season where he managed to get Sunderland from 23rd to winning the Championship. 

That's true, but it was a team with good resources, and this is very much the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Keane's managerial career. I would argue that the appointments of Ronny Deila and Neil Lennon had more logic to them than a Keane appointment would. 

16 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Can't see him doing well. His style of management just doesn't seem like it would be successful nowadays and he doesn't seem the type to change. We're probably going to need 8-10 players out the door and 8-10 back in. We also are going to need a new captain with gigantic shoes to fill and I don't have faith in his capability to deal with any of that. 

It's going to be a transitional season for sure, and if I was a Celtic fan I'd want to see someone come in who either has name value and the ability to attract players as a result (while Keane certainly has name value, his reported managerial style is almost certainly going to put some players off) or someone with a track record of rebuilding a decimated side. Although it's a transitional season, it's an incredibly important one - there's a risk to Celtic that Rangers can develop a foothold at the top of the Premiership, and firmly establish themselves as Scotland's top team. The potential money they bring in from Europe could allow them to strengthen quite significantly (by Scottish football standards)

Edited by RedRooster

4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That and a Chelsea double is still my biggest ever betting win, coming in just shy of £2000. But I completely agree with @RedRooster, that is a pure outlier when it comes to Keanes managerial career.

15 hours ago, David said:

I can never remember a time when that was the case to be honest.

I think around the 2000-2008ish period pre-social media, there was less prevalence of the bigotry that usually surrounds the fixture. Both teams had some tremendous players during that period and each reached a European final. I definitely remember the focus being much more on who had the better players with each side having some world class players along with a number of high profile duds. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Such as? I reckon Larsson would count but can’t remember anyone else. 

World class is strong but both teams did have some excellent players during that time.

Rangers had Van Bronckhorst, Ronald De Boer, Mike Arteta and Arthur Numan. 

Celtic had Larsson, Moravcik, Lambert , Petrov and Ramon Vega.

Your right though I wouldn't classify any of them as World class during that time except for Larsson. Although I did think Van Bronckhorst 2000-01 was phenomenal.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, ElCece said:

World class is strong but both teams did have some excellent players during that time.

Rangers had Van Bronckhorst, Ronald De Boer, Mike Arteta and Arthur Numan. 

Celtic had Larsson, Moravcik, Lambert , Petrov and Ramon Vega.

Your right though I wouldn't classify any of them as World class during that time except for Larsson. Although I did think Van Bronckhorst 2000-01 was phenomenal.

Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not? 🤨

We all know Momo Sylla is the really GOAT.

Vega is definitely a questionable choice...

Stefan Klos, being a goalkeeper, is often overlooked, but he certainly should be counted as one of the elite players to have been playing in Scotland at the time. Same goes for Amoruso and Albertz.

Martin O’Neill assembled a side that would very likely have competed for a Champion’s League place in England, and with a few further tweaks - which would have been possible with the higher budget/Celtic’s reputation - could have competed for the title.

It may sound fanciful, but Celtic performed well at the time against Europe’s best, and O’Neill’s Celtic, as far as I can recall, toppled every English side that came their way, including Liverpool. 

You replace Rab Douglas between the sticks for someone better, and make one or two further additions and you have a very capable team.