Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

The amount of Rangers fans coming out of the woodwork is hilarious. People I haven't heard talking about football for a decade all of a sudden willing to risk COVID to have firework displays in the middle of the street (in broad daylight, no less).

Congratulations to the team: they have been immense and deserve to wrap up this title in such swift fashion. But their fans continue to be a laughing stock and are typically gracious in their first trophy: ten years of utter piss-ripping from all and sundry gives them the platform, I suppose. The crowning achievement of that fallow decade is still surely when the mighty Hibees leathered them in the 2016 Scottish Cup final :D

1 minute ago, StrongStyle said:

The amount of Rangers fans coming out of the woodwork is hilarious. People I haven't heard talking about football for a decade all of a sudden willing to risk COVID to have firework displays in the middle of the street (in broad daylight, no less).

With Liverpool winning last season and Leeds returning to the Premier League, it really has been a strong twelve months for ex-fans suddenly 'rediscovering' their love of football.

Gerrard has done fantastically well. He’s given the team a unity and identity that must be great for their fans to see. I imagine he’ll stay there for a few years before the inevitable offers that are too good to turn down come from the English Championship. 

1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

With Liverpool winning last season and Leeds returning to the Premier League, it really has been a strong twelve months for ex-fans suddenly 'rediscovering' their love of football.

I must be a sadist then, as when I fell out of love with football Spurs were shit, and when I started to love it again, we were still shit!

Gerrard to replace Klopp (obviously he will NEVER be sacked). It will happen.

• Paid Members

Facetiousness aside it is pretty impressive to have had to rebuild not just the team, but ostensibly the club from where they found themselves back in 2012 to winning the league. 

• Paid Members

It is hard (and definitely hurts) to congratulate Stevie G on the job he's done but Jazzy is right, he's rebuilt that squad and managed to hold on to his key players. Christ he's made James Tavernier one of the best players in the division while he's been there.

But yeah, big rebuild summer from Celtic needed. The transfers last summer were garbage, bar Turnbull and we really need to invest as much as we can. I really hope for Eddie Howe, he built the Bournemouth side into a good one for a good stretch before their relegation and with some funds behind him and the crop of youth coming through we could eventually end up back on the same level as Rangers.

Because we're not at all right now, too many stars haven't got the same drive they used too, Scott Brown is getting on now and we spent over 10 million last summer on a striker who didn't score goals and the non number 1 keeper for Greece. 

I've lived in Glasgow for the last 15 years and seeing all the people who "like football but don't follow a team" come out of the woodwork these past few months has been astounding.

A large number of those who did keep their Rangers fandom public knowledge have went from openly telling me last season how Gerrard's "heart isn't really in the job" because of what school he went to and what one of his kids names is (fuck knows how or why they knew or went to the trouble of finding out) to now being willing to overlook their intolerances in favour of his success.

My social media has went from people I otherwise thought were reasonable and decent people talking about shite to a near constant stream of sectarian charged posts and comments in "celebration".

I love Scotland and love living here but sometimes its crazy to think how "normal" some of what goes on is up here. 

• Moderators
On 3/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, SuperBacon said:

I'm just pleased that, despite not playing much this season, Defoe will finally get a winners medal. He deserves it.

I'm counting it as a Spurs win.

Keep your North London grimness in your hovel. It's a suspension next time. 

But to all Scottish watchers, how has Christian Doidge looked for Hibs this season? The Wales team was turned around by Keiffer Moore who plays for Cardiff, and he's a similar 6ft 5 lump with good feet and Welsh qualified. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Inevitably (since Christmas) today is the day we finally lost the title. Beyond gutted that the much savoured 10 In A Row didn't turn out but more than that, I'm disgusted by how feebly, how pathetically we capitulated. From the position Celtic were in when Brendan Rodgers left, there is no way Rangers should have been able to claw their way back, let along run absolute riot this season. As much as it's with gritted teeth, there's no escaping the fact that that Rangers side are excellent and the work Steven Gerrard has done really is astounding. Goes to show the importance of giving managers time to carefully leave their footprint. 

Can only hope this is going to rouse the Celtic board into action and end the Rangers run at 1 but with a mass exodus in pretty much every department in the football club imminent in the Summer, fuck knows how well we'll bounce back. It's been an absolutely magnificent time to be a Celtic fan over the past decade but all good things must come to an end. Here's hoping the blip is temporary and we can get back to putting that mob well and truly in their place next season.

One more thing totally unrelated to Celtic but to Scottish football in general: if you haven't already, I highly recommend you get watching A View From The Terrace every Friday night on BBC. Absolutely cracking viewing and I look forward to it every week.

6 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

One more thing totally unrelated to Celtic but to Scottish football in general: if you haven't already, I highly recommend you get watching A View From The Terrace every Friday night on BBC. Absolutely cracking viewing and I look forward to it every week.

Yeah, this is excellent. There's a really decent Scottish football podcast as well called The Pyramid which is worth a listen.

• Paid Members
On 3/8/2021 at 12:15 AM, PowerButchi said:

But to all Scottish watchers, how has Christian Doidge looked for Hibs this season? The Wales team was turned around by Keiffer Moore who plays for Cardiff, and he's a similar 6ft 5 lump with good feet and Welsh qualified. 

He's been decent, not as good as he was for them last season but he's been played as a supporting striker and outshone by Kevin Nisbet

He also has an inconvenient knack of needing 5 chances before he'll score one.