How did it end up like this (brit wres scene)

Kfogg1991

I saw a right cringeworthy tweet from Smallman a while back. I don’t know how you embed tweets unfortunately but it was along the lines of;

”thanks to work, I get to stay in some very nice hotels now, but I’ve noticed recently the rooms always stink of marijuana. It can’t be me, as I’m straight-edge. Has anybody else found this?”

In case you wasn’t aware, Jim is employed by WWE now and is straight-edge.

4 minutes ago, AVM said:

I know there’s a lot turnover at Progress at the moment but am I missing some news? Is Jim calling it a day or something?

He hasn’t said that he’s calling it a day, but he hasn’t been at the last two shows, although he did say well  in advance that he wouldn’t be at said shows. As I mentioned earlier, he has said that he’s making some sort of announcement on Friday at midday

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

I saw a right cringeworthy tweet from Smallman a while back. I don’t know how you embed tweets unfortunately but it was along the lines of;

”thanks to work, I get to stay in some very nice hotels now, but I’ve noticed recently the rooms always stink of marijuana. It can’t be me, as I’m straight-edge. Has anybody else found this?”

In case you wasn’t aware, Jim is employed by WWE now and is straight-edge.

Was it this one? A story as a good as one of his jokes. 

No matter what way you shape it, no matter what narrative you tell-Progress sold out, plain and simple. They gave up all their values and made a deal with the devil. I think Britwres is pretty much back to where it was before the 'boom period', the Hipster fans are moving on (on to K-pop, Fortnite or whatever is this years cool thing).

The boom period made a bunch of guys (mainly everyone with links Progress) wealthy, it bought a spotlight to the country but long term has no foundations for a bright future. Not that Britwres is 'doomed' or anything but people are realising that money doesn't grow on tress and big cooperation will always kill the little man.

WWE UK on the whole has to be losing money, I wonder how long would WWE keep it going if it can't get in the black?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

WWE UK on the whole has to be losing money, I wonder how long would WWE keep it going if it can't get in the black?

NXT as a whole loses money. You don't make money off developing/pooling talent. It's an investment in your future.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

NXT as a whole loses money. You don't make money off developing/pooling talent. It's an investment in your future.

That's an extremely fair POV but NXT has had real results (legit PPV headliners).

With the exception of Dunne, Walter and Storm, how many in wwe uk do you see headlining a US PPV?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

That's an extremely fair POV but NXT has had real results (legit PPV headliners).

With the exception of Dunne, Walter and Storm, how many in wwe uk do you see headlining a US PPV?

If they get three out of it, they'd take that. It's not just about headliners but the talent pipeline in general. They are pushing NXT as almost a third brand these days - especially with plans to put it back on TV opposite AEW. So by the nature of that, they need actual development territories to make people ready for NXT. Add to that that this was also about kicking the shit out of ITV's upstart promotion and it gives them additional programming for the Network and it's not a massive price to pay.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

A WWE UK superstar will win the WWE Championship, whether they want to or not.

Edited by Your Fight Site

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Well for a start I don’t see any of them headlining a US PPV. I know “headlining” as a term is subjective at best, but none of those are going to shift you tickets en masse. Pete Dunne isn’t a talker and has a face like a smacked arse, Walter will get saddled with being the evil foreigner (“I’m not from here, I have my own customs, look at my craaaazy passport!”) and Toni Storm is shite altogether

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Here’s my two pennies if anyone truly gives a crap. 

In many ways when Great Bear shut its doors we were just at the crest of the wave before the WWE changes came into place- we’d actually made a profit the previous 12 months, which even for essentially a tiny indy wasn’t bad. 

When WWE really started kicking in I did kick myself - that itself did generate another little boom that I know people did well out of. The problem quickly became almost this sense of wrestling ennui - every card in the country started to look the same, no matter where it was being held and personally I started drifting away. 

I have friends that are doing very well and I’m so happy for them. As a few people have said though, the scene seems to be stagnating in growth - there doesn’t seem to be any actual development of new stars and even the fan base seems to have stopped growing and it’s almost going back to the way it was years ago where a cult of fans made the trips to different shows. 

Everything now seems to be this big indy, I’ve seen so many shows advertised on Facebook that’s from some upstart new promotion that disappears the next day  mainly because it’s guys people have seen 10,000 times over.

I wouldn’t say the scene is a terrible place - years ago only heavy hitters worked 3 shows a week, some many guys working overseas and Merch sales were non existent, but in terms of expansion and innovation in product terms, it’s hit a plateau  

I am absolutely over the moon for alot of my long term friends that are now making money and are finally able to live of there dreams of having wrestling as there full time job. My main gripe and major problem was with someone like progress that did make me love wrestling again after years of me deep down hating and not enjoying it at all and personally buying into there mantras and whole punk rock pro wrestling brand to have them completely go back on everything they once preached is disappointing as a whole.

They started running in Manchester at the ritz but hxc had been long out of business and by that point hadn't put on a show in a year or so 

7 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

personally buying into there mantras and whole punk rock pro wrestling brand to have them completely go back on everything they once preached is disappointing as a whole.

"Goodnight HULKAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

— Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan)"

23 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

"Goodnight HULKAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

— Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan)"

Dude come on don't be a dick... im not a fucking mark because I looked at a product and a set of people and believed what they claimed to stand for and supported them for it. 

Why does that make me a mark for wanting to enjoy something?