Vinyl

Weezenal

• Paid Members

Nothing cringey about that name. The fucking names of the band I was in before we settled on Tribal Herb - which was also admittedly terrible - were absolutely disgusting. Your mate is savage! Merciful hour of begobs, fair fucks to him. I'm not that big into scratching, but what he's doing there is outrageous!!

Pair of gikky belt drive Kams that I inherited when my cousin who went by the name - even cringier - MC Noddy, upgraded to direct drives, is what I started on in 1995, and I didn't have a clue what I was doing, so I tried to mix a track called Acid Wiss by DJ Skull  into Hoddle and Waddles' 'Diamond Lights' because I thought I could be more creative than anybody ever, the first time I had two records in front of me.

• Awards Moderator

Discogs is ace but also plants so many seeds when you see what’s out there that you didn’t realise you wanted. I’ve lost hours going down that rabbit hole.

My collection is growing and I’m 1 original pressing away from having the full Beatles checklist and already have the full hit for Springsteen. Hendrix and Prince ones are tricky to get for a decent price but honestly, if original pressings are your thing, you can stumble across some gems on eBay where the seller doesn’t realise the value. Felt a bit shit getting an original Rubber Soul for about £30 a few years back.

Nebraska is and will always be the most perfect album for vinyl, by the way.

I’m old.

32 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Nothing cringey about that name. The fucking names of the band I was in before we settled on Tribal Herb - which was also admittedly terrible - were absolutely disgusting. Your mate is savage! Merciful hour of begobs, fair fucks to him. I'm not that big into scratching, but what he's doing there is outrageous!!

Pair of gikky belt drive Kams that I inherited when my cousin who went by the name - even cringier - MC Noddy, upgraded to direct drives, is what I started on in 1995, and I didn't have a clue what I was doing, so I tried to mix a track called Acid Wiss by DJ Skull  into Hoddle and Waddles' 'Diamond Lights' because I thought I could be more creative than anybody ever, the first time I had two records in front of me.

Yeah he’s really great, was always the best of us. Had his own show on 1xtra for a bit, but now he travels the world playing out and like I said, supplying for film and TV. His Drum & Bass/Garage sets are insane.

Ugh, cam belts. A joy for beat juggling and scratching. I’ll never forget the day I first used DD 1200s. Was like finding a new technique to wanking. 

• Paid Members

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much vinyl they usually have in at Asda whenever I'm there. Reissues of some classics, and some newer compilations. Saw this the other day, but my mum would see through the ruse if I turned up at hers with it as a "gift" 

DSC_0013.JPG

I've collected for about 10 years. I've got about 200 records I would have thought.

We have a record shop over in East Anglia tucked away in the back of a garden centre. He has over 100,000 records in there of all genres. An Aladdin's cave of records. I've been there, looking for certain albums, thinking there's not a chance he will have them and he's got them. He doesn't take the piss on the pricing either as it's Lincolnshire. It's the sort of place, you could easily spend a couple of hours flicking through them all, taking a punt on £2, £3 records just because they look a bit quirky.

I try and support independent record shops as much as possible, but if price is a factor. All Your Music on Ebay, tend to beat everyone for price on new vinyl. The vinyl gets shipped from the US but it's free postage and arrives well packaged.

I tend to not use Amazon but had a £5 vinyl voucher with them. I spent it on the new Bruce Springsteen record and they shipped it in no packaging. Literally stuck a shipping label on the polythene wrapping, so by the time the courier had finished frisbeeing it around the van, it arrived fucked.

2 hours ago, Rossman said:

I tend to not use Amazon but had a £5 vinyl voucher with them. I spent it on the new Bruce Springsteen record and they shipped it in no packaging. Literally stuck a shipping label on the polythene wrapping, so by the time the courier had finished frisbeeing it around the van, it arrived fucked.

I've had that happen a couple of times, usually they come in a cardboard record sized box inside a box big enough for a fur coat with loads of those air packet things then out of the blue a record comes with nothing but an address label on. One of them the cover was totally shagged. 

I like on Amazon when something gets down to 3 left in stock (more on the way) and you can watch the price creep down bit by bit every day. Earlier this year I watched a Christmas album go from over £20 to £5.70 at which point I struck, within twenty minutes the price had gone back to over £20. I'm currently waiting for Cherry Pickles Will Harden Your Nipples to go sub £15. It was £24.81 a couple of weeks ago, it's currently £18.31. I can wait...... and don't any of you go buying it and making the price leap up! 

Love the photos in this thread  :)  @UK Kat Von D that is a sweet wall.

I started buying vinyl in my teenage years, when I was DJing regularly, and picked up the habit about 5 years ago again when I realised mp3s were the death of actual listening.  Having to get up and change the record makes listening to music a much more intimate act.  Mrs Loki and I now have evenings where we just read and listen to music which has transformed music back into a pleasure again.

nqSiBxX53SuuLukOSbnY38w0pUAPEJ-lmeZgdbMA

This is my playing setup in the living room, connected to my sound system.  

iqt1t60RJF8i71AnDlwakva38-l4VKM0HuRS2BMs

The rest of it upstairs, including my record box which is also full from a Xmas eve gig about 4 years ago  😂

It's about 90% jazz and soul, with some house and techno but I've not bought any of that since about 2000.

I don't buy nearly enough but it's by far the best way to collect music.  I generally get enough tunes together and then make a mix and make an mp3 out of that to listen to, maybe once a year or so.  

Apart from the odd visit to a local record store, I almost always buy on Juno.  I know people use discogs but is it a decent reliable place?  I'm a bit technophobic about places like that and eBay.  I have noticed all my releases are listed on Discogs though so it clearly lists any old shit.

Edited by Loki

Discogs is a great place to buy from, but you will be dealing with different sellers each time. Everyone has feedback scores like eBay so I assume that helps to regulate it.

I put in an order for about €200 worth of stuff last night though and still haven’t heard back. Suppose it is a weekend though so can’t complain too much. Everything I grabbed was a much better price than I’d have gotten on Amazon, and much easier to find. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

On 7/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, UK Kat Von D said:

I wasn’t sure about starting a thread for just vinyl but seems like some other people are into it as well. 

707453-B2-91-CE-42-E3-805-D-987184-FE502

E17-D7157-DE04-415-F-9049-C902-F6-AA3010

Here is the bulk of what I have at the moment. My Dad gave me his old ones recently and since then I’ve been buying a couple every week. The more I get the more I realise I need. I even went to my first car boot in years recently on the hunt but only found boring shit 

Loving that GG one.

F779-F923-03-B7-468-C-B26-D-36014-FF9218

Few of what I picked up so far this week.

The top GBH one has the song written in memory of my mother, so I’ve wanted to get my hands on a copy of that for a while. Not far off completing my collection of GBH records now. Also got two of my favourite compilations and classic Exploited, who I’ve already seen this year in Vegas and Downtown LA. Was really pleased to get my hands on my favourite Macc Lads album too. 

Got several more on the way, but that’ll have to wait till I’m back from Rebellion festival 

• Paid Members

A few weeks ago I went to a charity shop expecting the usual old bits no one wants and was shocked to see some relatively modern/bits I might have actually bought anyways. I thought it was a bit of a random mix to find in a charity shop, my wife said it was probably a family who's teenage son had died leaving it there. Lovely.

Nirvana - Bleach (still sealed, brand new)

Tom Odell signed record

Arctic Monkeys Australian live tour bootleg

Lana Del Ray - Born to Die

Kate Bush Greatest Hits

I asked how much, £2 each. Felt a bit bad, but that's the price...

I reckon that was a couple who split up and guy took the record player with him. When the girl found these a few months later she didn’t want to keep them because of the memories attached and decided she had never been that into collecting anyway. 

Case solved.

Insanely jealous of you getting Bleach so cheap, it's easily my fav grunge album and bar a few other albums the genre went to shit and became as bad as the hair metal it was supposedly fighting against.

Anyway, enough of my moaning about grunge. Has anyone got any recommendations for frames to stick LP's in? Max has inspired me to do a little Japanese Punk (i'm a punk "dem wan") wall and I was thinking about framing them, preferably with frames that are easy to open for when I wanna listen to them.