Returns that you'd pop for?

TheToeSucker

17 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

For real, though. I'd pop like fuck for the Big Shot to come back and start a potato offence crusade against dull midcard lifers each week on Raw. 

That would be incredible.

Just imagine Miz and Ziggler in the ring doing an absolute cliché of a wrestling promo. Taking turns getting their lines in while the other one stands there like an idiot.

All of a sudden...HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?! hits. Holly comes out, still jacked and tanned, oiled up, huge tribal tattoo etc. Just gets in the ring and stiffs those tedious little bell ends into oblivion. Doesn't even lead to a match.

I don't think there's a single living return that would make me pop. The last one that I properly went for was The Rock in 2011, mainly because I fell for their bluff of showing a lady's feet getting out of the limo before I sat there for the next 20 minutes with a huge grin on my chops, watching Rock show everyone else how to promo.

Since then, nothing. Jericho's numerous returns got old quickly, I couldn't give a rat's ass about Ryback, Goldberg or virtually anyone else mentioned on this thread. Even if Dean Ambrose quit AEW and walked out as No 30 in the rumble next year, so what? He phoned it in for so long, I stopped caring. There are very few wrestlers that I actually care about anymore (mainly Undertaker but he's wearing that out, New Day and Bray Wyatt) that the thought of not seeing Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn for a few months and then suddenly seeing them again out of nowhere does nothing for me.

I guess it's part of wins not mattering any more, or the total lack of character development any more. Why should I care about Zack Ryder? Who is he? Why is he wrestling? He's been in WWE for over a decade and all I know about him is that he likes action-figures... and that's it. That's nowhere near enough to make me care any more than I did when Eve booted him in the nuts. Guys like Carlito, Chris Masters, Kennedy, any of the guys from the Noughties - I've not missed them one iota since they left or got Randy Ortoned out of a job, why would I care now?

43 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

@Grecian you sure you're not meant to post the unpopular opinions thread? 

The Goldberg return (2016) was superb and well played.

Therein lies the difference. When it was first announced Bill was on his way back, I didn't particularly care, to be fair I wasn't a huge fan of his anyway. I happily admit his return ended up being a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be, but it didn't make me pop. And the less said about his match with Taker, the better. 

I became a fan in late 2002 thanks to Smackdown on Sky One, so the returns I’d pop for would have to be from that brand in that era. I’m talking about people like Heidenreich, The Basham Brothers, the World’s Greatest Tag Team, Tajiri and Kenzo Suzuki.

I obviously don’t mean I’d like them to make full-time returns or anything like that, just one off appearances on a Smackdown anniversary show or something. 

If Heidenreich were to turn up on the first Smackdown on Fox before gleefully carrying a screaming Tom Phillips off to the back, I’d feel like I’d got my money’s worth.