The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

or he is totally deluded and oblivious which, if that's the case, oh, boy

Even after all these years I still don't really "get" who Cody Rhodes is or what he's supposed to embody. The fact that he's a founding member and VP of AEW yet puts on fairly average matches and promos and his booking makes little sense just puzzles me. 

AEW Cody has certainly been the most inconsistent version of him I've seen in quite some time.

He can be a great fiery babyface that everyone loves to get behind. He can be a right up himself easy to hate bastard who acts like he's above everyone else. Yet somewhere along the line he lost how to focus on one or the other. I don't hate him. I'm just frustrated that he's been making bad choices for quite a while.

50 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Either Cody is doing some brilliantly subtle work (for pro-wrestling) leading to a heel turn where he's essentially AEW's Homelander or he is totally deluded and oblivious which, if that's the case, oh, boy.

Hopefully it's the former and we get his platform rising entrance to see him furiously masturbating and shouting into a microphone that he's Cody Rhodes and he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

The fact he dressed up as Homelander suggested to me that he’s going for that kind of character - and that was backed up by his actions towards the end of the match. I really like the idea of a corrupt, hypocritical ‘hero’ heel. Someone who insists that they are the good guy, while their actions and hypocrisy demonstrates that they are not. If he is indeed taking that route, I think it’ll work well. 

• Paid Members

Coming off the back of last night’s episode of Dark Side of the Ring I would normally assume Brian Cage could do some type of Kanyon tribute match on this week’s show. I had no idea they had a connection and it was really cool seeing the clips of Cage doing all of Kanyon’s moves.

But having a quick look at where the fuck he’s been it seems Cage and his wife have been bitching online about his portrayal and all the new stars coming in. I guess that explains why the Cage vs. Starks stuff seems to have fizzled out. Maybe no Kanyon tribute match after all, then. Shame.

• Paid Members

Sometimes this thread seems like Groundhog Day. We go through the 'everyone hates cody', AEW Vs WWE ratings arguement and the 'X wrestler is doing the same thing each week' pages every week it feels. 

Cody should grow his moustache back and all will be right with the world.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

The fact he dressed up as Homelander suggested to me that he’s going for that kind of character - and that was backed up by his actions towards the end of the match. I really like the idea of a corrupt, hypocritical ‘hero’ heel. Someone who insists that they are the good guy, while their actions and hypocrisy demonstrates that they are not. If he is indeed taking that route, I think it’ll work well. 

When I watched this week's Dynamite, before I'd seen any discussion about it, I felt certain he was doing a Homelander thing. However others have suggested the gear was more a tribute to Evel Knievel than a Homelander reference, so I started questioning it again.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Chili said:

Rent Free Cody Rhodes. 

I know you're joking but I thought the other day, imagine we come off one of the best TV matches ever and possibly the best match in AEW history and everyone is talking about Cody. And here we are.

I'd rather the Cody discussion than boring ratings talk. At least that's actually part of the shows. 

So long as AEW is pulling in enough viewers to keep the network happy I don't give a toss about how they compare to Raw. 

Different product, different day and a different network. Ratings talk was ok during the early days but had become boring enough well before NXT fucked off to another day.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Coming off the back of last night’s episode of Dark Side of the Ring I would normally assume Brian Cage could do some type of Kanyon tribute match on this week’s show. I had no idea they had a connection and it was really cool seeing the clips of Cage doing all of Kanyon’s moves.

But having a quick look at where the fuck he’s been it seems Cage and his wife have been bitching online about his portrayal and all the new stars coming in. I guess that explains why the Cage vs. Starks stuff seems to have fizzled out. Maybe no Kanyon tribute match after all, then. Shame.

If AEW have to lose any wrestler from the mid card upwards, then Cage really wouldn't be a person I'd be worried about losing. Bang average. I'd imagine WWE would be interested in his look, but definitely not his work. He'd be Keith Lee in no time if he didn't massively adapt. 

Also, what the fuck is Homelander?