The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Johnny Ace is Danielson’s father in law, isn’t he? Whole thing has clearly been an elaborate plot for Bryan and the rest of his Indy darling mates to jump ship and have the best time together as soon as possible. Revenge of the Nerds.

Every time the bus looks full up, you get a guy like Owens where I can't help but immediately want to see him come out enthused doing whatever he wants on a Wednesday night. Get him in. Just hit the gas when you see Braun and Wyatt running up to the side door, please. 

• Paid Members

This is what I'm loving about AEW right now, all the releases they're cherry picking the ones they want, not going TNA circa 2010 and grabbing everyone. It's exciting to see who's contract is coming up soon because now more than ever, people aren't feeling pressured to re-sign and can go where they please.

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Blows my mind that people don't want to see what Bray Wyatt could do in AEW. The greatest wrestling character and best promo of his generation before he got the main roster treatment. Some fans have such short memories. 

For me personally, one of the biggest problems I have considering him a great promo (let alone best) is that, unlike other great promo guys in history, I can't actually remember a single one. I can see he's a confident speaker with a delivery that works for him, but the content never grabbed me. Not saying that's all his fault either, but still.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Silky Kisser said:

Going back a few pages but there were plenty of people speculating that if Jericho lost to MJF he'd go back to WWE. What was the thought process behind this? Quite a few people were suggesting it but it seems totally left field and barmy to me. 

I believe most of the original AEW lot were on 3 year deals which expire in 2022 so would be coming up early next year. And, at a guess, Jericho wants a HoF induction. But he certainly hasn't been making noise about a return as far as I know.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Blows my mind that people don't want to see what Bray Wyatt could do in AEW. The greatest wrestling character and best promo of his generation before he got the main roster treatment. Some fans have such short memories. 

I think it's less "short memories" and more than over time it became extremely clear that there was nothing to the Bray Wyatt gimmick beyond some spooky window dressing, and the more they tried to elaborate on it, the worse it got. Some of that blame falls on WWE writers but a lot of it falls on Bray's shoulders too, given how much creative input he had - it was Bray that commissioned the Fiend mask, it was Bray who pitched having Alexa Bliss as his second, and it was Bray whose social media was filled with inexorable "Sister Abigail" shite and surface level edgy goth teen bollocks. 

There's clearly something there - he's creative and a confident talker, and could have a lot to offer outside of WWE. But the only way I'd be interested in him coming into AEW is if he stayed well away from the Bray Wyatt gimmick and built something new, and I don't think he has any intention of doing that. I imagine he'll show up as Bray Wyatt By Any Other Name in Impact, be allowed even more creative control to explore the gimmick and finally disappear fully up his own arse. That, or he'll show that actually it was WWE at fault all along and it turns out he's a creative genius, but I'm not banking on it.

It doesn't help that Tony Khan doesn't seem to be a fan of him - there were Tweets from back in 2014 when he criticised WWE putting Daniel Bryan with them, calling the Wyatt Family an "anti-rub" and "a midcard act". 

6 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

For me personally, one of the biggest problems I have considering him a great promo (let alone best) is that, unlike other great promo guys in history, I can't actually remember a single one. I can see he's a confident speaker with a delivery that works for him, but the content never grabbed me. Not saying that's all his fault either, but still.

if I remember right several people were "liars, man"

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Supremo said:

…they’re going to do one of those dud shows that somehow fails to capitalise on the huge momentum they’re riding, aren’t they? It would be so typical for them to stumble tonight.

They do it after every PPV. You'll see.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Supremo said:

…they’re going to do one of those dud shows that somehow fails to capitalise on the huge momentum they’re riding, aren’t they? It would be so typical for them to stumble tonight.

The matches announced are great on paper, so there should be enough good stuff even if they cock up the overall momentum of the show.